AndrewR's Tamiya Kettenkrad 1/48 *** Fertig! ***

What did your Secret Santa send you this Christmas? Have you been naughty or nice? Did you get a Trumpeter 1/48 Lump of Coal, or a nice old Airfix classic? Your builds should be chronicled here, starting Decmber 25th (ho, ho, ho!) and lasting through January 31st. Admins: Brickie and Paul Bradley
AndrewR
In the basement lab

AndrewR's Tamiya Kettenkrad 1/48 *** Fertig! ***

Post by AndrewR »

So here we have the grand opening of the Secret Santa package. (Very nicely wrapped!):

It's a Kettenkrad! :grin:

Here's the box art. The Kettenkrad has appeared in several different boxings, so there is a lot of stuff on the sprues.

No fewer than three different sitting figures, only one of which is mentioned in the instructions!

Two different trailers, one loaded with weapons and ammunition boxes, the other for the Goliath remote controlled demolition vehicle. Good stuff 8-)

I'm having a think about how to do a little diorama with it. One possibility is to use some Luftwaffe figures, which the LHS probably has in stock. Another is to use the three kit figures, adapted slightly. We shall see.

Thank you Secret Santa.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Re: AndrewR's Tamiya Kettenkrad 1/48

Post by Narayan »

Very interesting Andrew. Look forward to seeing this one come to life. A diorama would look good.

Would it help if I got out and pushed?

A:B
2012 18:04 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 191:50
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Loving looking kit there Andrew - look forward to seeing it built. I also like the picture of you opening the present - I think we'll have to stipulate that as a condition for next years participation!

cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

beany wrote:Loving looking kit there Andrew - look forward to seeing it built. I also like the picture of you opening the present - I think we'll have to stipulate that as a condition for next years participation!

cheers
Al.
My wife Katie (the one with the fancy camera and skill as a photographer) decided that my reaction needed to be recorded for posterity. Good job it wasn't a Starfix Spitfire in the box :ha:

Yes, this kit has definite possibilities - lots of extra bits on the sprues.

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

A bit of activity on the Kettenkrad today, down in the lab - I put sand primer on everything! (even the kit :-D)

Exciting isn't it?

cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Well, I've been looking around at German AFV camo, which is well off my usual set of colours, and looking at the options.
The kit options are for Field Grey (yawn), Dunkelgelb (zzz) or the three colour Dark Yellow/Red/Green (which might just have been done before). There's also an option for a captured one used by the US military police, but then I'd need a figure in a different uniform!
Now I have done Commonwealth AFVs from 8th Army, so an Afrika Korps Kettenkrad would fit in quite well.

The original Afrika Korps vehicles arrived in field grey during 1941, which was obviously pretty useless in desert warfare. Later in 1941 a directive for a two tone camo scheme went out.

Heeresmitteilungen 1941 281 specified a two tone tropical scheme of RAL 8000 Gelbbraun/
Grunbraun base with one third of the vehicle overpainted in RAL7008 Khakibraun. As usual with AFV colours, the shades are open to interpretation, and the weathering was severe anyway. So "reasonable accuracy" applies :-D

The other nice thing about HM 1941 281 is that it doesn't specify any patterns, so stripes, patches and mottles are allowed. This means I can use my Artistic Licence (which already carries penalty points for Painting Without Due Care and Attention, and Careless Painting :ha: ). Oh goody gumdrops. :lol:

I am grateful for a very useful article by Mike Cooper on this topic

http://www.matadormodels.co.uk/tank_mus ... ermany.htm;

As I use Vallejo Model Colour and Model Air, I looked up the equivalents of the two specified colours (near the bottom of this post):

http://cs.finescale.com/mobile/forums/t ... dID=138929;

Then I trotted off to the LMS to get the Vallejo Air versions. Actually, it snowed again today, so slithered about in the car was more like it! :roll:

The Vallejo Air equivalents are
RAL 8000 -> Val Air 030 (add yellow for scale)
RAL 7008 -> Val Air 024 Khaki brown

It happens that the Tiger tank at Bovington, had been painted in these colours at some point

http://www.tiger-tank.com/secure/journal27.htm;

so I even have some general idea as to the colours :)

If younger son goes to sleep soon :roll: I'll have a little play with the colours :)

Cheers

Andrew
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Mmm, fun!

Diorama item, with Me262, perhaps??
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote:Mmm, fun!

Diorama item, with Me262, perhaps??
Which would mean building a 1/48 262... I try keeping to The Gentleman's Scale for aircraft. :)
I was thinking an Me-163 actually, as it's nice and compact.

I am hoping to be able to pose one of the figures as a passenger, so it might just turn into a 1/48 version of a Matchbox AFV diorama!

I have part assembled the Kettenkrad and had a play with the paint. Unfortunately David has woken up again, so I'm back upstairs and unable to load the photos!

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Here's the lower part of the Kettenkrad body after assembly, and with some paint on.

I decided to paint the wheels and track assemblies on the sprue, as the wheels have rubber tyres on which would be tricky to reach when assembled. You can see quite a contrast between the primed driver figure on the right, and the wheels, painted in Val Air 30 on the left.

The colour difference between the two shades is small!

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

More progress this afternoon

Everything fits together well, no filler used so far, but I want to check some photos to see how the body panels fit together.

The Vallejo bottle to give a sense of scale (and yes, it is the regular size bottle, not the Jeroboam)

cheers

Andrew
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

:ha: Just imaging a Jeroboam of Vallejo Satin Varnish.. next to Nebuchadnezzar of Hu33
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

mightymikeD wrote::ha: Just imaging a Jeroboam of Vallejo Satin Varnish.. next to Nebuchadnezzar of Hu33
A frightening thought indeed!

The equivalent of over 1000 tinlets of Matt Black... :shock:
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Bet it's cheaper in bulk though....hobby paint is almost as expensive per ounce as gold...! :lol:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote:Bet it's cheaper in bulk though....hobby paint is almost as expensive per ounce as gold...! :lol:
I suppose all that black paint might come in handy if you were building a 1:1 replica nightfighter... :)

A little more progress tonight. I looked at a couple of walkarounds because there are a couple of mysterious plates which I can't decide how to fit.

http://www.primeportal.net/trucks/jan_p ... ettenkrad/;

http://militarymodels.co.nz/tag/photo-w ... ettenkrad/;

On one walkaround they didn't seem to be fitted. So, they are officially omitted :mrgreen:

I also found that the tracks have rubber cleats, so a bit of track repainting was necessary. :roll:
I also filled in a couple of seams, as the gaps were not visible in pictures of the real thing.

Cheers

Andrew
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Very nice and plenty of scope for artistic bodgery interpretation on the paint scheme as is often the case with wartime German vehicles. I've just got my Artistic License back BTW after a one month ban for improper use of an airbrush compressor :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Secret Santa Group Build”