Simon's St Chamond in 1/72 and in paper

For fans of the 1/72-76 military vehicle range.
Runs January 1st through 31st.
GB Leader is lancfan.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Simon's St Chamond in 1/72 and in paper

Post by SJPONeill »

...not too sure what I will be building yet but keen to try some of the small scale paper models from here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/down ... o=cat&id=8; and here: http://landships.info/landships/models.html;

+

I also have a Revell (formerly MB) Churchill Bridgelayer sitting in the stash ready-use pile that may make an appearance...

Simon
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Simon's Here...

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Some very interesting kits there ... get away, tempter :grin:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

jRatz wrote:Some very interesting kits there ... get away, tempter :grin:
Go on, do it...you know you want to...!!! :ha: :ha: :ha:
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

They do look very interesting but I think I would use them as patterns for plastic card scratchbuilds rather than as card models.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I've considered doing this David especially where the model has compound curves that could be improved from the paper cylinder and cones approach but have yet to have a crack at it...once I find new work, I want to see if I can find a source of cheaper (than the packaged plastic card from the LHS') styrene sheets and see how it goes...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

My first and possibly only cab off the rank in this GB is the St Chamond WW1 French Medium tank from landships.info...it's meant to be in 1/72 but on checking the scale bar on the page, it is a few mm too short I'm guessing the actual scale is closer to 1/76 - these things happen with paper models sometimes especially when if not careful with 'fit to page' settings on the printer interface and/or where the model is designed to scale out on a particular size page e.g. US Letter and printed on A4 or vice versa...pics to follow in the morning...
SJPONeill

Re: Simon's Paper Army

Post by SJPONeill »

I was a tad careless loading the printer for my first couple of models and they came out on 80gsm paper which is a little light in weight for modelling. So I have used this trusty can of spray adhesive that SWMBO bought for her DIY workshop (I don't think that she's noticed that it is slowly getting lighter) to laminate another sheet of 80gsm paper to each sheet bringing the weight up to the recommended 140-160gsm weight. The glue in the laminate also means that the sheets will be quite crisp for creasing on the folds...

While tidying the study this afternoon, I found some spare sheets of 140gsm paper and so printed out three more models...I couldn't reprint the ones above that I had to laminate as my printer is one the way out and isn't too flash with bright colours so I had to select some that would look OK in greys...(once I'm working again, near the top of my 'need' list is a decent A3 printer so that I can reliably and consistently print my own parts again.

Here you see the six parts sheets of these three models laid out to be sprayed with a surface layer to render them less susceptible to stains and marks; this process also makes the paper a bit stiffer as well and so promotes sharper creases...(the laminated sheets got the same coating as well).

Just waiting for them all to dry...
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I've made some of these, admittedly for Warhammer 40K, but the work nicely.

Unpainted
Painted

Unpainted
Painted

Another painted one

And another unpainted one

And a colour-printed one

I think you'll have to repaint yours Simon as you'll get white lines where you score the paper or glue parts together but I am looking forward to seeing how you get on.
And if it's any help, any parts marked with * need to be stuck onto card before assembly (for the extra thickness) and ** needs 2 layers of card.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Cheers, Ian, they've all come out really well...I've got some of Eli Patoroch's Warhammer models stashed away pending the printer upgrade (I prefer the printed ones as painting always seems to be my downfall in modelling...will stay slicing paper on the morrow...

Simon
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

Very interesting. Paper Panzers... but not in nthe conventional sense!
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

So, if you do a PzKwVI, would it be a paper Tiger?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

PaulBradley wrote:So, if you do a PzKwVI, would it be a paper Tiger?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

The dangers of not paying attention and/or rushing when laminating, even simple constructions like this...fortunately there are no parts on the printed side of the bubble...

Last night's fiddly work...cutting out the running part parts for the St Chamond, 18 parts per side...

I always cut parts from the main sheet before cutting them out - this means that there is less mass of surrounding paper to overcome and thus there is less chance of the blade detouring...

Three hours (and a sore back from bending over the table) later...all the parts for the right-hand side running gear...
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I find this kind of modeling fascinating and really want to try it but admittenly am afraid to take the plunge. In part because I haven't found a subject I want to build
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

What might float your boat, Dirk?

Return to “The Small Scale Armour GB”