Just ducky! - Ready to go for a swim.

For fans of the 1/72-76 military vehicle range.
Runs January 1st through 31st.
GB Leader is lancfan.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Just ducky! - Ready to go for a swim.

Post by Ian »

My potential victims have been stalked long enough. I have decided that the one to go under the knife (and filler, glue, wet'n'dry, paint, etc) will be the Airfix DUKW - more commonly called a 'duck'.
Whilst not particularly being 'armour' in the usual sense of the word, as in it does not have six inches of steel plate or a 75mm gun or even a rotating turret, it does allow me to participate without having to go out and spend money on a new model. I am tempted to get one of the new Airfix Tigers but not this month - Christmas was expensive!
I've never built a DUKW so it will be interesting. I was tempted to paint it to match the one that sails (?) from Hunstanton beach but will go with the box decals and try to do some weathering if I can find some good photos to work from. Otherwise I'll just make it up.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Just ducky!

Post by lancfan »

I have always liked this kit but have not made one for years, it is on the stash list for 2013 and I fancy building a few different ones as a mini theme at some point, there have been a number used as sightseeing buses, the Royal Navy still used a couple which were only retired in recent years and the Soviets built their own version post-war, copied from those they received on Lend-Lease.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

So, 2nd Jan, up early, made a start!

No box as this is part of the D-Day box set. Parts and instructions.

First thoughts are OMG! Lots of flash, mould lines and ejector pin marks. The load bed is horrendous!

I am going to have to either use the cover over the bed or add some crates, barrels and stuff to hide them all.

I've cleaned up and added the suspension / drive shaft and started adding the side walls. I am having to do this in sections as the floor of the DUKW is warped.

I've started at the back and will glue and clamp in 5 seperate sessions to try to get everything into shape. I might add the load bed half way through this as it is quite sturdy and will help to 'right' everything. I'll add the propeller shaft and stuff once the wheels are on. Don't get me started on the wheels. The halves of the mould were not lined up very well at all and I expect to be cleaning up the mess for an hour of two!

All in all, not an impressive start to the model but I am confident I can make it look reasonable.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Well all this flash and warpage is certainly not my memory of it back in my childhood, it doesn't appear to have stood the test of time at all well. What a shame.

David.
David.

Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

So after several sessions clamping and gluing (and with a very quick coat of paint) we are here!

No problem!
Molly-new
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Molly-new »

That has come together well. I have one of these in the stash which I may turn into a bright yellow version, as seen doing sightseeing tours in Liverpool and London. Looking forward to seeing how the old kit goes together.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

Molly-new wrote:That has come together well. I have one of these in the stash which I may turn into a bright yellow version, as seen doing sightseeing tours in Liverpool and London. Looking forward to seeing how the old kit goes together.
Also Singapore.. I was tempted to try it while there.. but figured the 100% Humidity was getting me damp enough.. :-D
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

If you are going for a sight-seeing version you'll need lots of reference pics for all the 'coverings' for the driver and passengers and any markings/prices on the hull. And I don't think you'll find any after market decals.

I'm working this weekend, so don't expect any progress till Monday.
jelly071
Getting well comfy!

Post by jelly071 »

Looking good
Thanks Mike
IPMS 12171 AMSIG Member

Love an old kit
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Although I have been at work all weekend and have posted no updates, as you can see - I took the Duck with me to the office and did stuff.

It is actually complete. I just need to finish painting the load bed cover (just needs another coat) then I can start on making it all dirty.
The kit decals had gotten damp somewhere along the way so I've had to improvise.
jelly071
Getting well comfy!

Post by jelly071 »

Looking great
Thanks Mike
IPMS 12171 AMSIG Member

Love an old kit
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

So I've done some dry brushing to bring out the detail. It's had a coat of Pro-Modellers dark wash. I didn't wipe any off, just matt-cote straight over it when it dried. Once the matt-cote goes off it'll be time to get out the pastel chalks and see how bad I can make it look.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

So, pastel chalks. £1.99 from The Works (probably). I call them pastel chalks as chalk patels makes them sound a bit like fruit pastels.

Useful things, simply rub against sandpaper over a suitable receptacle and there you have some wonderfully cheap weathering material.

Just apply with an old brush and Robert is your mothers brother, as they say.

The eyes and mouth were unused from a P-51B kit.

I'll take some more pics for the gallery tomorrow when I have some proper light.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: Just ducky! - Ready to go for a swim.

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

The weathering brings it to life. BRAVO!
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Just ducky! - Ready to go for a swim.

Post by lancfan »

Brilliant, good build.

David.
David.

Return to “The Small Scale Armour GB”