Beanys PM Bagdad Fury - Hawker Sea Fury T61

For any PM Kit.
Runs January 1st to 31st,
GB Leader is lancfan.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Beanys PM Bagdad Fury - Hawker Sea Fury T61

Post by beany »

I only have one PM kit in the stash so it made my choice easy.

Decals are rather yellow and not much sunlight around for bleaching so I'll see what I can do with them - assuming they don't break up anyway.
Will probably do her wheels up as per the box art - the pilots in the pits will disguise the lack of detail therein!
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Beanys PM Bagdad Fury - Hawker Sea Fury T61

Post by splash »

PM me and I will send you a spare set of PM decals.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
beany

Post by beany »

splash wrote:PM me and I will send you a spare set of PM decals.

Regards Splash
Cheers mate, PM sent.

I started off by brush painting Hu.79 Matt Blue Grey in the interior areas. It dried so quickly that I them sprayed a second coat right after taking these photos, so it obviously looks better now.

I decided I would build my Trumpeter Sea Fury at the same time. There are more parts and better instructions, and better cockpit detail as can be seen (it is the single seat version compared to the PM two-seater).

Here are the two sets of instructions for comparison. As with many Trumpeter kits, they are pretty sparse when it comes to colour call outs for detailing (and non-existant on the PM instructions). Paints are for Gunze/Mr Hobby on the Trumpy instructions - the Humbrol equivalent for the Grey Blue was Hu145 Medium Grey but I wanted something a bit darker as I have said above. Next time I'm at Hendon I must ask if I can take some cockpit shots of their Tempest which I imaging will be similar inside.

I am doing the PM kit wheels up, but the doors supplied are clearly shaped for a wheels down version only, in spite of the picture shown in the instruction. Unlike some other brands, PM do not provided alternative "closed" undercarriage doors so I have had to cut and shape the open doors to fit in the well openings.

Here is what I had after a half hour of whittling and filing. A bit of filler was then used after to hide some of the more pronounced gaps.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The decals will be in the post tomorrow.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Barry
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Barry »

The desert camo is really nice.
2012 A:12 B:13 C:0
beany

Post by beany »

splash wrote:The decals will be in the post tomorrow.

Regards Splash
Decals received thank mate, I owe you one. :beer:

Progress: fuselage halves joined and wings attached. These needed quite a bit of filler in the wing roots and underneath where the wings meet the underside of the fuselage to level the surfaces out. I apply the Squadron white putty and then after levelling with a knife rub it over with a cotton bud dipped in Boots nail varnish remover (acetone) to smooth it off, thus less sanding to do later. I need to paint the pilots and cut out a 5 bladed prop-blur acetate to fit the spinner, whose prop blade recesses have been filled with putty also (a separate spinner and propeller are provided in this kit, unlike some where it is all one piece). I'll post picture tonight after I have sanded the filler and she is ready for paint.

Cheers
Al.

Return to “The PM Kit GB”