Shaun's Von Werra's Express *** FINISHED***

A Single Kit GB for the new-tool Airfix 1/72 Bf109E.
Runs January 2nd through 31st.
GB Leader is AndrewR.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Shaun's Von Werra's Express

Post by ShaunW »

mightymikeD wrote:You're approaching the finishing line! Do you realise your 100% record is in serious jeopardy here?
Aaaaargh, don't be saying that Mike! there's plenty of opportunity for me to mess it up yet - it wouldn't be the first time :grin:

A model is only relatively safe in my hands once it is in the display cabinet and I once dropped one model at the doors!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

ahh, a Finish is a Finish: if you drop it afterwards it's "Weathering"
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Take a photo on the table/workbench as soon as it's complete. Then it's officially finished. If you drop it on the way to the display case, it counts as "normal wear and tear".

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The decals are now completed but I've already knocked the rudder off putting on a topcoat of satin varnish last night :oops: So hopefully I won't write it off before the final pics can be taken :roll:

IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Powerful stuff, your satin varnish! Do you brew it yourself? :ha:
Marek
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Marek »

This is becoming a completely new concept behind the acronym SKGB - Styrene Killers Group Bonanza :). Propeller blades, rudders, you name it, we knock it off. To finish the evening a mix of Xacto blades and Whisky is in use. No wonder my throat was aching, my prop blades are at different angles than 120 degrees and I can't seem to find any varnish anymore :).
Seriously though, waiting for final pics. I know they'll show a very nice model.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Marek wrote:This is becoming a completely new concept behind the acronym SKGB - Styrene Killers Group Bonanza :). Propeller blades, rudders, you name it, we knock it off. To finish the evening a mix of Xacto blades and Whisky is in use. No wonder my throat was aching, my prop blades are at different angles than 120 degrees and I can't seem to find any varnish anymore :).
Seriously though, waiting for final pics. I know they'll show a very nice model.
I'm intending to knock off a glass or two of wine tonight (and not touch the Emil :grin: )
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I'm already knocking off my first tinny of the evening prior to cooking up a chilli con carne - Saturday night again, the week has gone fast.

I applied a final coat of satin varnish by airbrush last night (and re-fitted the rudder :oops: ) and have been at the model most of this afternoon.The landing gear is now on after a bit of fiddling to try and get the "sit" right. I'm no real expert on these aircraft but I have incorporated a bit of splay as indicated in the instructions and after consulting a couple of photos in one of my books.

I've also painted the prop assembly and canopy parts although the latter need attention with a cocktail stick to straighten out the frame lines a little better. I haven't yet decided whether to go canopy open or closed as it will depend on how well the canopy closed option fits.

Also painted up, but still on the sprues, are the wing cannon and the exhausts. I have a bit of time on my hands tomorrow and will try to finish her up if at all possible as I have a busy work week ahead.

Thanks for looking.

IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Looking really good Shaun.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Its a beautiful paint scheme. i really like it
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks gents, as always your kind words are always appreciated.

Well, that's it - finished!!!

I had some drama finishing up, which was caused by a combination of my fat finger fudging and the overly thick sprue gates. The sharp eyed amongst you may have noticed that my model is not wearing the kit wing guns. Oh dear, one went into hyperspace when I attempted to cut it from the sprue and therefore I was forced to fashion a couple of replacements from scrap sprue. Not a happy bunny as the kit guns are much nicer. Second part into hyperspace was one of the aileron balances. I nicked a couple of replacements from an old scrapped Heller Bf109k-4. Again not a happy bunny as the Airfix parts are far superior. Finally I managed to snap the antenna and had to scratch one out of scrap strut material. Once again, the kit part was far nicer. Ho hum, but there's no point crying about it, once the parts have pinged off they're usually gone for good. You will also notice that I ended up going for the canopy open option as I couldn't get the fit of the closed canopy to my liking. The antenna wire is stretched sprue that I got as tight as I could with a heated pin before my nerve went. I don't like waving hot metal about near a finished model!

Apart from the above mini disasters I found this to be an enjoyable build and, overall, a nice little kit that is excellent value for money.

An excellent GB, building in great company and many thanks to Andrew for running the show.

So there you have it, I can finish a GB on time :grin:

IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: Shaun's Von Werra's Express *** FINISHED***

Post by Ian »

Finished? Can't be. Let's have a close look.
Assembled - check.
Painted - check.
Decals - check.

Crikey!

And it looks really good, too. Well done Shaun!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Cheers Ian. Yes, I shocked myself finishing with 11 days to go and had to do a double check that I hadn't missed anything important and had replaced all of the bits that I'd lost :grin:

IPMS#12300
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Nice one Shaun. Well done.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

Wooo! Well done, mate.. The model looks great, really sharp. Did you end up freehanding the canopy? It looks really striking

You even found time for a few aaarghs at the death...

100% record is history!
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28

Return to “The Airfix Bf109E SKGB”