Marek's Unmarked Messer ** FINISHED **

A Single Kit GB for the new-tool Airfix 1/72 Bf109E.
Runs January 2nd through 31st.
GB Leader is AndrewR.
Marek
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marek's Unmarked Messer ** FINISHED **

Post by Marek »

Greetings,
While I am waiting for the kit to actually arrive on my bench, I will start almost simultaneous build of old mold just for sake of old times. Title reflects the fact I have not yet chosen markings for either one of them. Multiple possibilities have actually hinder the process :). Now if you ask why would I wait for the kit to arrive and not have it ready on the bench, hmmm, I mistakenly thought I owned a new mold when I actually had the E-4/E-7 packaging of old mold, everybody was out of stock, so I had to source it from ebay. So if you let me do the side-by-side build I would post pics of both kits WIP in this thread.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Marek's Unmarked Messer

Post by AndrewR »

Marek wrote:Greetings,
While I am waiting for the kit to actually arrive on my bench, I will start almost simultaneous build of old mold just for sake of old times. Title reflects the fact I have not yet chosen markings for either one of them. Multiple possibilities have actually hinder the process :). Now if you ask why would I wait for the kit to arrive and not have it ready on the bench, hmmm, I mistakenly thought I owned a new mold when I actually had the E-4/E-7 packaging of old mold, everybody was out of stock, so I had to source it from ebay. So if you let me do the side-by-side build I would post pics of both kits WIP in this thread.
Good idea, put both in the same thread. A bit of "Compare and Contrast" is always good:)

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Marek

Post by Marek »

Well, still waiting on a new mold kit, so this is a teaser :) of what's to come when I start building them side by side. I am sure this one was a league on its own back in 70-ies. It is also the first kit I have ever harmed 'unattended' without any supervision at all :).

Simply classic, no wonder bf-109 was short-legged if it had to carry all these rivets with it. :)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It was indeed classed as a good kit back in the 70's Marek. I remember building it when it first came out in maybe 77 or 78 and in fact that is the last time I built an Emil in 1/72nd. Your boxing comes with some nice looking yellow-nosed Battle of Britain decals. Airfix should have also put a similar option in with the new tool IMHO.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I have this kit as well. I look forward to seeing how they build up side by side
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Marek

Post by Marek »

With some toning down of rivets it will do well. I may actually start it little earlier than the right kit, which is still on a mail...I guess. I am just little bit itchy with x-acto to start some work on it.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Those decals would look good on the new kit!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ian wrote:Those decals would look good on the new kit!
Good idea. I'd be tempted to put the BoB decals on the new tool and build the old tool as the tropical version that I can also see on the box lid.

IPMS#12300
Marek

Post by Marek »

Finally the right kit is in my possession. Work started on both kits simultaneously. RLM02 (LifeColor, shows greener on pics than it is in reality) was put in right places. I like the LC range a lot, brushes fantastically and you can't dilute it too much (within reasonable boundaries of course). I added a stick in a 'old' cockpit, painted on panto-graphed seatbelts (just like newer kit) and made a pass with sanding paper (320) to see if I can get rid of these railway rivets. ... and it's more than doable. New kit, well, it just falls together, like you guys indicated so far. Both will be closed cockpit, pilotless (I prefer them drinking not fighting). As for the markings, well... I do not know yet.

New mold will sport markings for a plane from JG27, Sicily, 1941. With the old one, I am leaning toward Shaun's idea of putting desert ones on. I like these markings a lot and the paint scheme would be more forgiving contrast-vise about this rivet festival.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

You're a fast worker! :)
How do the two kits compare in dimensions?

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
theconfidencestoat
Active Participant

Post by theconfidencestoat »

Great idea this.....
Marek

Post by Marek »

I'll put some comparison pics when fuselages are assembled. To my eye they look similar shape and length-wise, but the devil is in details :).
The JG27 markings are exactly the ones found in Osprey's Bf109 aces book
Accidentally, the mottled sand version will be depicting a saddle of the same pilot I think.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work Marek and fast too! The devil could be in the mottling, on both of these models :grin:

IPMS#12300
Marek

Post by Marek »

Shaun, so there are two devils already :)... and I have not arrived there yet.
SteveC
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SteveC »

They are both coming along really well, and quickly, Marek.

It must be interesting building the two side by side.

Steve

Return to “The Airfix Bf109E SKGB”