Marek's Unmarked Messer ** FINISHED **

A Single Kit GB for the new-tool Airfix 1/72 Bf109E.
Runs January 2nd through 31st.
GB Leader is AndrewR.
Marek
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Marek's Unmarked Messer

Post by Marek »

Steve, building them side by side actually turns off any possible interest in the old mold. I worked on and off for some time on Thursday and today to bring airframes to some assembly 'milestone'. There is really no comparison between these two. Kudos to the inventor of superglue, otherwise I might have been trying to set some sane dihedral on the old mold's wing till morning. New one is definitely a well balanced and engineered kit, old one is the good example if you want to teach entropy at school. I will need some 'touch-up' filler on the E-4 mold, do not want to even start talking about the E-4/E-7. Pics will tell the tale
new mold

old mold

Now, both will come out OK, the difference will be... as minute as a whale. Of course, making any comparisons is not fair and so far I am really enjoying both kits.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

The old kit has trim tabs on the wings. The new kit doesn't, even though they are shown on the painting instructions.
Score 1 for the old one!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Marek

Post by Marek »

OK, the Good, the Bad, the Ugly
the Good:
- New mold has canopy on, no dramas there, except I had to 'force-span' the front and back pieces, the middle one clicked into it OK-ish. Not the bad fit, not the best it the world

- Well known (not for me until tonight :)) absolute garbage canopy of the old mold was 3 mm too low. Tried to remedy this with a styrene rods

- The UGLY: Somehow I managed to 'peel-off' the future layer and canopy fogged when being superglued. Had to take it out and will try to refuture it first and see if I can get away without sanding it. It worked once before. We'll see. I have no intention to spend any considerable time polishing short-shot, barely passable canopy so if more than half an hour is needed then I'll resort to stashing the kit away.

Next will be the preliminary fun - some putty touch-ups and rescribing of the new mold. Since the work needed for the old mold to be finished is considerably bigger, I'm moving the whole 'old world operation' to workbench and leave only the right kit here.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Hopefully you can sort out the old mould one without too much hassle Marek. The new tool is coming along nicely.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Sounds like you're not having a fun time with the old kit.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Marek

Post by Marek »

The old kit is having fun with me :). I'll sort it the best I can but it won't win any continental contests....not that I was gonna have more than fun with it.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Out with the old, in with the new one!
:)
Old mold is in a sleepmode, till I figure what to do with it. However, the more I was musing about markings, the more I liked the JG27 desert markings that came with the old kit. So having a attack of bold thoughts, I cut the sand filter from the old kit and attached it to the new one. I know there is already a Trop version of this kit on the market but it's gonna be a while till I source it and then there are countless other possibilities for E-7/Trop, including pod-racing on Vader's home world. The spinner assembly got its red-white treatment. I have not encountered any problem with this part of the kit. All clicked in as intended. Not to mention that I have actually cracked one blade while ... detaching it from the sprue. It was quickly repaired and no witnesses are there to tell the tale. I had to use filler in few places, nothing extraordinary and by the end of today's session Messier looked like that:

I'll coat it with RLM 76 plus white band soon.
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

Good idea: leave no witnesses!
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great idea Marek and I'm looking forward to this one developing. The sprue gates on this kit are way too thick, there are some very nicely done fine parts but cutting them off the sprue can be a nightmare, as you found with your prop. Not good for younger or inexperienced modellers that's for sure.

IPMS#12300
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:Great idea Marek and I'm looking forward to this one developing. The sprue gates on this kit are way too thick, there are some very nicely done fine parts but cutting them off the sprue can be a nightmare, as you found with your prop. Not good for younger or inexperienced modellers that's for sure.
I agree with you there Shaun, they must be able to get the sprue gates thinner than this. I think a youngster would have trouble with these, particularly if they don't have a sharp knife. I usually let Graham use cutters to remove parts, but I'm leery of letting him loose with a craft knife. Mind he has now got his Cub Scout Knifecraft badge, so maybe I'm being too jumpy :)

The good news is that some of the molding is extremely well done. I'm impressed with how thin the undercarriage doors are on the Emil, a massive improvement.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I like the idea of doing it in trop colors. I came close to doing that scheme myself.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Marek

Post by Marek »

No, definitely an idea of a young one running around with Xacto blade is not really the one I would like to entertain. I guess I am little overprotective myself. Now I have to find time to start spraying paint.
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

its coming along nicely
Cheers
Martin
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Marek wrote:No, definitely an idea of a young one running around with Xacto blade is not really the one I would like to entertain.
Me neither. Those blades are not always safe in "adult" hands either - I managed to cut myself on two or three occasions last year and have come close with the sprues on this kit for parts where I couldn't get the sprue cutters in properly.

IPMS#12300
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

ShaunW wrote:
Marek wrote:No, definitely an idea of a young one running around with Xacto blade is not really the one I would like to entertain.
Me neither. Those blades are not always safe in "adult" hands either - I managed to cut myself on two or three occasions last year and have come close with the sprues on this kit for parts where I couldn't get the sprue cutters in properly.

FTFY:
"No, definitely an idea of a young one Shaun running around with Xacto blade is not really the one I would like to entertain"
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28

Return to “The Airfix Bf109E SKGB”