Springtime on the Oder - BG Weekender 2014 Report

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
Piers B
Series 3 and Beyond

Springtime on the Oder - BG Weekender 2014 Report

Post by Piers B »

Our second game of the weekend was a late war affair using Battlegroup Fall of the Reich. Germans forces near Golzow had to stall a major Soviet attack against the city.

The German deployment had all the chrome and good troops arriving in the city outskirts, while facing the entire Soviet hoard was a single platoon of Volkssturm supported by two dug in Pak43 AT guns. They were destined to be little more than a speed bump.

As it happened, they turned out to be the toughest bunch of Volkssturm any Soviets ever had the misfortune to face! While the rest of the German forces dug them selves into the ruined town, not thinking it worth trying to support the doomed Volkssturm, the German Dads Army went about tearing the guts out of the advancing Soviets. By an amazing run of luck they held the Soviet advance for over 10 turns, destroying nine tanks in the process and killing nearly half of the attacking Red Army infantry. They refused to give in, and the last five men left alive went down in a blaze of glory causing 14 casualties in their last throw of the dice.

With the Volkssturm gone and the cathedral hill now in Soviet hands the battered Russians hit the German gun line of Panthers and Tiger IIs waiting in ambush. A massive tank duel erupted as both sides tried and failed to break through each others line and the lack of Soviet infantry further hindered their attempts. With losses mounting and a lack of troops to push forward, especially infantry to support the tanks in the urban confines of the ruined city, the Soviets conceded defeat, which when the Battle Ratings were revealed showed the Germans to actually only be slightly ahead.

Was a great weekend of two really mega games, played in great spirits with great friends.

As always... More pics on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 973&type=1;

MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Springtime on the Oder - BG Weekender 2014 Report

Post by MarkyM607 »

Very interesting, looks fun. Not something I have gotten into but I do like these sorts of games anyway. Although why does one of the German tanks look like it's made out of wicker??. :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Piers B
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Piers B »

Erm... thats zimmerit, anti-magnetic mine paste.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great set of pics. Thanks for sharing.

Nigel
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Another one, well executed and illustrated.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Very nice, sort of like 3D squad leader.
Honcho of ASMMF
philp

Post by philp »

Never got into gaming with figures, even D&D in college was all paper and pencil.

Still have my original Squad Leader game. Looked at it a couple times thinking that would be fun with 20mm/1/72nd troops.

Thanks for the 2 game reports. Some great looking terrain, buildings and gear.

Return to “Figures and Diorama”