HäT 1/72 British Rocket Troops (8003)

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

HäT 1/72 British Rocket Troops (8003)

Post by Ratch »

From Otto von Pivka’s “Armies of the Napoleonic Era”.
Rockets consisted of paper tubes filled with incendiary compounds. When the inside calibre was the same as the diameter of a 6oz ball, they were called ‘6 oz’; if the diameter was that of a 3 pdr cannonball ‘3 pdr’ etc. The paper cartridges were set into wooden tubes nine calibres long. The rocket tubes were now fixed to sticks seven times as long as the tube and so heavy that the centre of gravity was 2-3 inches below the tube. These sticks were about ½ the calibre at the rocket end and tapered to about 1/6 the calibre. They were used for signalling, setting fire to villages etc. Congreve’s British rockets were modelled on those found in the army of Hyder Ali in India. They weighed 20 lb with heads made of tin 28 inches long and 4 inches in diameter. The sticks were 18-22 feet long. They were first employed against Copenhagen in 1801, but their performance was unimpressive due to their lack of reliability in their trajectory. They were also expensive to produce.
Royal Artillery, Mounted Rocket Corps 1814, wore the Tarleton helmet with dark blue turban, brass chinscales and peak, and bearskin crest. The plume is white over red on the left side. The Hussar dolman in dark blue with red facings, collar and pointed cuffs, and yellow buttons & lace, grey overalls with red side stripes or white breeches with hussar boots. The dark blue portmanteau is edged yellow and the yellow initials in the rear corner read:
A
R R
C
Royal Artillery Rocket Corps. The dark blue shabraque is edged yellow with the crowned yellow cipher GPR in the corners – this should surely be the reversed royal cipher ‘GR’. The man carries rocket staves on his saddlery, which is black with steel fittings. From Costumes of the Army of the British Empire...1814. (National Army Museum).

All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: HäT 1/72 British Rocket Troops (8003)

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I think one of Cornwell's Sharpe's Rifles series featured the early, testing days for these things.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Yes I remember that one :razz:
Airfix Tribute Forum
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Here is the original. There are four sets of these figures in each box. I have touched them up and mounted them.
Airfix Tribute Forum
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Nice! I remember the tv series Sharpe's Rifles. It was broadcast here in Canada briefly in the 90's. Cool stuff.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Airfix Tribute Forum
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy mun.

Return to “Figures and Diorama”