Rob's Showjumper

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's Showjumper

Post by rob_van_riel »

@Beany: breaking cover, no further need for secrecy. You may recognise some cut-and-paste below ;-)

The host for the local IPMS group's Newyear's meeting sets a theme for the informal competion there each year, and this years theme was simply "Airfix". OK, I can do Airfix :-D But, since the theme was Airfix, I felt obliged to do a typically Airfix oddball subject, the sort of thing that set Airfix apart from the competition. I first considered one of their bird models, but couldn't find any in a timely fashion (started looking way too late, of course :roll: ). Once that was eliminated, and without any real hope of finding one, I looked into the Showjumper (bit of meta-gaming going on here too; the judges are all female, couldn't really care less about the silly little aircraft, and there might just be a horsegirl among them). To my amazement, I found one almost immediately, for not at all that silly money. True, the box was a wreck, but the contents were as good as new.

The model was supposed to be completed for the meeting earlier today, but priorities, circumstances, and just plain bad luck resulted in a DNF. So before I launch into a proper wall of text, the state of play as of today:

Overall, it's a pretty decent kit, but there are some issues, especially with the horse. It feels to me like they scaled up a 54mm design without corrections. As a result, all the (presumably) muscle detail is significantly overstated, and way too sharp edged to look like a flesh and blood creature. I took the edge of by dumping a blob of filler in the 'trenches' and smoothing that out with a wettened thumb. This also applies to the veins? just behind the front legs; I couldn't find them on the real thing or pictures thereof, so I filed them off. Also note that real horses do not have seams, while the plastic one has a lot of them. All of this adds up to a lot of work with sandpaper and filler before the horse becomes decent.

Other than that, with the proper care and attention needed for a kit this age, it will build up into a nice figure.

It is often suggested that the model is based on Princess Anne, and the face of the rider is certainly a good representation of her in the early 70s. The rest of the model, on the other hand, certainly isn't.

The saddle flares out from the horse, which just looks silly, so, foolishly, I dunked in into very hot water, in hopes of softening it up and shaping it around the horse. It softened up alright, and immediately transformed itself into a work of abstract art. So much for the kit's saddle. I should point out this happened about ten days ago :sad:
Forced by my clumsy destruction of the saddle to really look into details, I learned too much (even though it's next to nothing) about jumping horses to accept the model as anything but two total beginners (horse and rider).

I decided early on that I wasn't going to buy this "any resemblance to actual persons living or dead is entirely coincidental" thing, and build this as the Princess. At the time, she was a really good rider; you don't get into the Olympics otherwise.

A good rider doesn't have her legs flying off in all directions during a jump, but the figure does; they're thrown out much too far to the sides, asymmetrically, with the right leg in particular looking like the second after the model's snapshot will have the rider on the ground in a pile of bruised limbs, and the horse wondering where she went.
I attempted a fix by slightly angling the left leg inwards (filing off a bit off the top and from the lower edge of the join to the right leg), restoring fit, and then sticking a whopping 2mm shim into the top of the join between the legs, bringing the right leg in considerably, while introducing horrible fit issues between the legs and the torso. Fortunately, the join between the legs and torso is mostly hidden, so this can all stay a bit rough. This modification assumes the rider will be standing in the stirrups to help absorb the impact of landing, rather than sitting in the actual saddle.

The obstacle shown in the kit is a type never used for matches. The configuration with a horizontal bar, and two bars placed with one end on the frame and the other on the ground is only used for the initial training of horses for jumping. The top bar is shown about 3 feet off the ground, pretty much the lowest lever ever used in matches, but in line with a training setup (the record stands at 7 or 8 feet). Due to the way the display is set up, this cannot be changed to a more challenging level; this would either require surgery to the horse and suspending it in mid air, or putting some horizontal distance between the horse and the obstacle.
Note that this contradicts the occasionally voiced theory that the kit shows a situation where the horse has knocked off part of the obstacle.

The saddle included with the kit is a traditional "English" saddle, sort of general purpose but really optimised for dressage. It could be use for some low level jumping in a pinch, but no serious jumper would use it. Certainly, the Princess used a completely different setup, which looks like a slightly modified version of the jumping saddle shown in the wikipedia page for "english saddle". Most promimently is that while just about every saddle I've seen pictures of has the girth strap attached to the rest of the saddle underneath the leather parts, the Princess appears to have this strap running all the way round over the saddle (and thus clearly visible). Since I totalled the original saddle, scratchbuilding a correct one was the obvious choice, albeit a time consuming one.

I started out by wrapping a piece of leather around the horse very tightly (thus exploiting the flexibilit in the leather to force it into the complex curves of the horse's back), smooth side down, and then drenching the rough side with CA. I'd created a barrier of tape on the horse, but this proved unneccessary; the rough side soaked up the CA, and the smooth side blocked it. Once the CA had cured, I had a fairly decently form-fitting start for the new saddle. I then cut and filed away everything that didn't fit inside the outline of the planned saddle, and used a mixture of filler, paper, more CA and milliput to build up the complete saddle.

The rest of the horse's equipment is also lacking. The kit indicates a single rein, and a basic girth strap. This is what you'd expect to see for casual riding or dressage, but jumpers use a more complex setup of straps. They also invariably have windings or boots around the lower legs of the horse, to support the legs during tight manoeuvres and to protect against impacts on barriers (the Princess used windings on the rear legs, and boots on the front), and often rubber caps over all but the very bottom of the front hooves. All of this would have to be scratch built to turn this into a rear jumper.

The polo wrappings on the rear legs proved impossible to build directly onto the legs, as did proper continuous wrapping. I built up a layer of epoxy putty (cheap, course, far too fast milliput equivalent from the local DIY) around the legs to serve as a base for the windings (same was used as the basis for the boots on the front legs). Around this I then build and overlapping affair from masking tape, later coated with CA. This made acceptable, but certainly not perfect, windings. They should have been narrower in the middle, and resemble stiff boots rather too much now. Given that I'm DNF anyway, I might end up going back to that area for a second round.
The boots were much easier, simple tubes of putty built around the legs, with tape and CA rims.
The hoof protectors (whatever they're called in the business) were again just layers of milliput (no skimping here..), with the ribbing sculpted in while still soft.

Visible much clearer in the pictures than in real life is the path of a drop of errant CA that ran out over the hindquarters of the horse, and the coat on the left side of the neck doesn't look quite right either. Again, I might indulge in some fixing there.
DavidWomby

Re: Rob's Showjumper

Post by DavidWomby »

That's quite an achievement. The recovery from the saddle disaster looks really good.

David
jezbrook
Getting well comfy!

Post by jezbrook »

The original Masters for all the 54 mm kits were to 1:12 scale. The Bengal Lancer and Imperial Guardsmen were both direct copies of the masters.

The masters were intended to be scaled down to 54 mm, so much of the detail was not sharp, but it would be when produced at 54 mm. If the detail at 1:12 was sharp it would not have come out in 54 mm.

Fortunately we never got a 54 mm Showjumper!

jezbrook
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Interesting stuff Rob and Jez.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I stripped the overly crude and bulky windings off the rear legs.

The brown bits in the stripped area are leftovers of the epoxy putty sitting in deeper parts of the relief. Had wanted to revert to bare legs, these would have had to go, but since I intend to put on more subtle windings later, I can get away with leaving them in.

My supply of green stuff went off, so it will be about a week before I can continue on the legs (new green and brown stuff on the way, but sadly, instant delivery mail order has yet to be invented). Plenty of other work though, so boredom is out of the question :-D
iggie

Post by iggie »

Well, that's an unusual build for certain! I never even knew Airfix had done a show-jumper; when was it released?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote:I never even knew Airfix had done a show-jumper; when was it released?
'74, and it was in the catalog only briefly. There's a reason I mentioned I got it for "not at all that silly money", because silly money is usually what it takes to bag a rarity like these :-D
In the extremely unlikely event that they should ever choose to do a re-pop, they'll have almost brand new moulds to work with.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It's always nice to see an unusual subject on the forum. Nice work Rob and well done on recovering the saddle. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Thanks for this -- not just the rare kit but the detailed and very explanation of what you are doing and why.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

First time I've ever seen or heard of this kit.
You've done a great job with it. Looks fantastic.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Nice work on an unusual subject Rob.
I wish I could get hold of one of these for the One for the books GB, It would be a good size to convert to a terrified looking Harry Flashman Lancer from Flashman at The Charge :-D
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"

Return to “Figures and Diorama”