Rettung Schutze Reinhardt ( Saving Private Reinhardt )

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Rettung Schutze Reinhardt ( Saving Private Reinhardt )

Post by Purplethistle »

22 September 1940, Operation Sea Lion is launched and the first wave have to negotiate wire and mines as they come ashore.

From PT's SS GB SB in Shared Builds
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
PTB11
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rettung Schutze Reinhardt ( Saving Private Reinhardt )

Post by PTB11 »

Fantastic dynamic poses PT. Really portrays a sense of action.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Great visualisation PT!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Great work, thanks for sharing.
George B.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Love the way it seamlessly blends into the background painting. Great skills.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is fantastic PT, well painted and posed figures and that really excellent painted backdrop. I'm thinking aloud here but do I detect some forced perspective here, is the grenade thrower in the background one of Airfix's 1/72nd Germans? or is he indeed painted, I can't tell where the dio ends and the backdrop begins! And what about the main men, they look a little reminiscent of Airfix 1/32nd scale Multipose German Infantry or are they 1/35th efforts from the likes of Tamiya or Dragon?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Cheers chaps. I had suggested an Operation Sea Lion GB a while back but I think that although a few folks liked the idea, I think they were put of by the scale of dio that they perceived as necessary to represent it.
Hopefully this 3 figure 'MicroDio' will make some decide to have a go.
ShaunW wrote:That is fantastic PT, well painted and posed figures and that really excellent painted backdrop. I'm thinking aloud here but do I detect some forced perspective here, is the grenade thrower in the background one of Airfix's 1/72nd Germans? or is he indeed painted, I can't tell where the dio ends and the backdrop begins! And what about the main men, they look a little reminiscent of Airfix 1/32nd scale Multipose German Infantry or are they 1/35th efforts from the likes of Tamiya or Dragon?
You have a sharp eye Shaun. The foreground figures are the Airfix multipose 1/32 and the grenade chucker is indeed (sort of) from the 1/76 Airfix figures. He's the guy on the Airfix box art Photoshopped onto the background.
The two other (complete) figures are the same 'just been shot' guy from a Masterbox box art, one was superimposed onto the background lying on his back and the other is just stumbling in a Spielberg-esque mist of blood! - Once I had given this the title that I had, I kinda slipped into the whole German version of Saving Private Ryan vibe.
The background was originally a photo of a beach with the stunted remnants of defensive stakes. I used the 'eyedropper' and 'finger smudge' tools to restore the stakes to their original length and the 'pencil' tool to add barbed wire. The barges, shell & mine craters and smoke columns were painted on with 'pen, brush, spray and smudge' tools. For the ground that the real figures are standing on I took a copy of the original photo, copied a section of the soil nearest to the viewpoint and stretched it vertically so that when photographed from the right angle it would not look too different from the upright portion of the backdrop. ( much the same as the advert logos on a rugby pitch) Usually the base is plaster or similar, painted to merge with the backdrop but in this instance the semi gloss card I used for the backdrop gave a nice 'wet sand' sheen that I decided to keep, just adding some wooden stakes & coiled wire and 'stones' made of yellow milliput, grey filler or chewing gum for depth.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

JamesPerrin wrote:Love the way it seamlessly blends into the background painting. Great skills.
Cheers James, the trick is to have the bottom of the vertical backdrop curve into the horizontal plane rather than fold or butt join it.

Btw, if anyone fancies doing their own Sea Lion beach storming microdio, I have a couple of 'beach in front of pillboxes' backgrounds that I made before deciding on the one that I did. if someone wants to use them I can post the images here or print them off for you.

Come over to the Dark Side of figures....you know you want to! :twisted:

Return to “Figures and Diorama”