Ju-52 "last days before the fall of Stalingrad"

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
Michael modeller 48

Ju-52 "last days before the fall of Stalingrad"

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

deleted
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Ju-52 Blunder! "last days before the fall of Stalingrad"

Post by MarkyM607 »

I'm afraid I'm not an expert but what I'm sure of is Planning. Work out what you want to do and how big a base you'll need (if appropriate), work out what's going to be on it and where it's going to go. It's easier to design half a dozen times than keep changing a model/diorama.
And enjoy it!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Michael modeller 48

Thanks Marky
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

What Marky said mate, but also, don't be afraid to experiment and try different things and different materials and see what you like best.

If you make one attempt and it doesn't go to plan, don't be disheartened, but say to yourself, OK, I wasn't happy with that result, so I'll try a different technique or different materials next time. Just think about the venerable P-51 Mustang, limited success (as a fighter anyway) with an Allison engine, but rather than write it off as a bad idea and scrap the airframe, someone had the bright idea of trying something different - putting a Merlin in the hole up front instead.

If you have any specific ideas of what you want to build let us know and we could make suggestions about what materials and techniques to try, then if it doesn't work - you can blame us :ha:

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

I've had a look at 1/144 vehicles and dio accessories......for all of the thirty seconds it took to view them all!
As this is a first dio for you I'd suggest something relatively basic but with a powerful background story to it. - One of the last evacuation Ju' 52s out of Stalingrad has burst a tyre and slewed off the runway into a snowdrift and the wounded passengers are having to evacuate. I don't know of any 1/144 German infantry in winter gear, but in that scale it would not take much to alter something like Deck crew or railway figures to unarmed, heavily muffled evacuees.
I'd suggest using a 12"x10" picture frame or board as a base, then cover lightly with some kind of crack repair/ plaster with about 1/3 thinly covered and rutted like a hard packed snow runway and the rest deeper like shovelled snow. The Ju would probably lose a wheel if not a whole u/c on the blowout side, also an aileron (and the wing outboard of the engine if you're feeling adventurous) The side door would have to be cut out for the evacuating figures and a nice touch would be oil drums and various debris beside the 'runway'.
This is all 'Off the top of my head' stuff, I'll look into what figures I would use if I had been going to do this myself and report back soon. :-D
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Michael modeller 48

deleted
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Good start!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Michael modeller 48

deleted
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Wow! You're really getting into this, so I feel I can suggest some more touches to give it more atmosphere.
There is a distinct lack of 1/144 vehicles, accessories & figures but the winter setting is actually an advantage here. You can scratch damaged vehicles, oil drums or an A/A nest roughly and have them covered by snow. They don't actually have to be accurate in detail, just the right size and general shape, before covering them in snow.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

I'm not suggesting that you do all of the following, just giving you options! :-D

For a small fuel point of oil drums, use approx. 2mm plastic rod or wooden dowel, cut to 5mm lengths, say about 12-15 of them, glue together and cover most of them with a small piece of tissue paper soaked in PVA, shaping it into folds like a tarpaulin cover leaving 3 or 4 visible for painting grey. Then weather with a drybrushing of white paint for snow.

For a Kubelwagen, a block of balsa or Milliput roughly in the shape of the vehicle with just the odd area visible under a thick coat of plaster 'snow'

For an A/A pit, Roll a very thin 'sausage' of Milliput ( I actually use chewing gum!) and crimp into several long strings of sandbag shapes. Make a round hole approx. 12mm dia. near the runway, and surround the lip of the hole with 2 or 3 layers of 'Sandbags'. In this small scale, a flak gun could be reasonably represented with a shaped and slightly folded piece of plastic card with a couple of pieces of thin plastic rod for gun barrels. the breeches could be made with something from the spares box, or, the guns could have been disabled by a near miss (just add a crater right beside the pit) and be pointing straight up negating the need to add too much breech detail.

Sorry, I'm getting carried away here. Just tell me to go and procure for myself the services of a taxidermist if I'm butting in too much.
Michael modeller 48

Deleted
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

You sure about that? It's looking very promising so far.
Michael modeller 48

Re: Ju-52 "last days before the fall of Stalingrad"

This was my first attempt at 1/144 scale.

Learn to keep the flaps off or put blue tac on the underside to prevent bleed and overspray.

I had trouble with gluing the glass and spraying the paint job. Then I try to make my first diorama with no clue how to do one or the materials.

It was my first attempt to do this:

It the scheme for Where Eagle Dare Ju-52. I should have masked the topside again and repainted the underside live and learn. And Testor clear glue

is too runny and now have Mircoscale Kristal Klear glue:

Return to “Figures and Diorama”