The Duellists *finished*

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: The Duellists

Post by celt »

rob_van_riel wrote:
celt wrote:Hi rob van riel,I am envious of all you figure builders,I could not paint a figure even if my life depended on it.You are very all talented. :mrgreen:
I think you overestimate the amount of talent involved. Just lots and lots and lots of practice :roll:
All talented people say that.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I've laced up Mr Fournier's dolman.

Just a load of piping on the dolman and breaches left to go in the gold department. And Mr Dupont of course.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Mr Fournier is complete save for his spurs, dragon (no, not the big flying lizard, the cord attached to his sabre and wrapped around his wrist), and hair.
Mr Dupont, meanwhile, is ready for some gold. Actually, a lot of gold :grin:

Mr Fournier must really be starting to hate me, and not just because that's his default opinion of everyone. I've lost track of how often I've had to straighten his sabre after bumping it out of shape. Good thing these metals can take some punishment :roll:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Mr Dupont's dolman has defeated me. Some of the loops just outside the outermost rows of buttons are missing, either due to problems with the sculpting, casting, or my hamfistedness so far. Whatever the reason, I just cant find them, and painting them on without any relief to assist me, is beyond my abilities. I've just painted over a botched attempt with dark blue, and will be leaving them off entirely. 75% of them would have been just fine, but the gaps in the rows of loops would have been absurd, and the splotches which are the closest I can get to improvising them on would be even worse.

Fortunately, the vast majority of people won't even notice, and I doubt the overall effect of the pair will be degraded. Bugs me though :cry:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:Mr Dupont's dolman has defeated me. ... Bugs me though :cry:
Well, that was the first round, but this is the story of always coming back for more punishment until you beat the so-and-so, and who am I to break with that theme. Round two turned out rather different :-D

Now here's a nasty advantage I have over any kit: I decide when it's over, so once I've won, the kit doesn't get a rematch. Not fair, but who cares :twisted:
iggie

Post by iggie »

Awesome!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Now we get to what to modern eyes is a jarring contradiction about these folks. Fierce, super macho warriors, taking considerable pride in their super cutesy pigtail braids :-D

Different time folks, and of course, it was traditional to have pistol balls hanging from the ends of the braids, so no giggly girly jokes unless you want to find out what those sabres are for. They also have the traditional tightly bound ponytail at the back, which in addition to getting the hair out of the way, had some utility in reducing the effect of nasty old blows to the back of the neck.

As can be seen in the first picture of Mr Dupont, Art Girona rather oversized the braids, so I chopped them down a bit. The braids were attached with CA gel, which should reduce the inevitable gaps, but I'm still somewhat worried about the joins to the rest of the hair. This fight is not quite over yet :roll:

rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The figures are done.

What remains now is to take them off their blocks, and translate the whole affair onto a permanent base.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Oh dear, I messed up. I've got red barrels on yellow sashes, but this should have been the other way round :oops: :omg

This cannot be realistically fixed; the odds of trying to work the sash back down to white, then yellow, then red while not slipping up and getting paint into the surrounding areas are just too nasty. I'll just have to pretend the rather non-regulation sashes are a bad case of officers' vanity; it's not like officers didn't indulge in that sort of thing in real life. Maybe I've stumbled accross the real reason for the over the top animosity between the gents: "How dare you imitate my sash!!" :roll:
celt

Post by celt »

:wanw
Regards celt.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

I must watch the movie again.
And extremely well done.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The gents are stuck to their base. I'm calling this a wrap :grin:

DavidWomby

Re: The Duellists *finished*

Post by DavidWomby »

Watching this has been a great education. Lovely result.

David
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Most excellent, Rob.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »