The Duellists *finished*

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: The Duellists

Post by rob_van_riel »

I hope Mr Fournier looks properly enraged :-D

In addition to the face work, I've also airbrushed the sashes the gents are wearing; the base colour is yellow, and I don't have a hope of getting that to look good with a brush. Downside of this is that I'll have to be very careful while painting the dolmans later.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Hidden but very useful advantage of using oils: you've got enormous amounts of time to fiddle with them. I took another peek at Fournier this morning, and found that the real thing was looking just a bit too garish. I also realised that the photo had revealed there actually was some upper lip showing. No problem, the paint (both on the figure and on the palette) was still fresh enough to pick up where I left off yesterday and fix things. You pay for it with insane drying times, but you will never, ever have to race the clock when using oils.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Try as I might, I just couldn't convince myself I liked where Fournier had ended up, so I took a drastic step and stripped all the paint of the skin. Full reset, try again this weekend :cry:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Some colours are beginning to show at last.

Mr Fournier has received his new face, and looks furious as ever. Work on him is now on hold until next weekend, while the oils cure. Depending on what the protective coat of varnish then reveals, I may give his breaches another coat of red before doing some very restrained highlighting and shadowing on them.

Mr Dupont's clothes will definitely need another helping of blue paint, he looks absolutely shabby right now. Except for the boots, everything else will be zero margin detail work from here on in, and the same holds for his opponent once I've got his dolman painted. This is going to take considerable time, patience, and occasional steadying of nerves :roll:
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Nice work, Rob. These gents look rather intense!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

They resemble a couple of werewolves at the moment :)

Nigel
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

rob_van_riel wrote:I hope Mr Fournier looks properly enraged :-D

He certainly looks like 'No more Mister Nice Guy'! ( Alice Coopers real name is Vincent Fournier :-D )
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Basic colours are now of for both gents. Mr Dupont no longer looks shabby, so once I've dealt with his boots, detail painting with (mainly) gold can start. Mr Fournier may need some more green paint on his dolman, but other than that, they're now in sync.

Please ignore the Viking; I've persuaded him to give up raiding, but he's taken up photo-bombing instead.
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy work so far,I will keep watching with interest.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Didn't get much work done on these chaps, but quite a bit for them.

As mentioned earlier, I needed upper leg decorations for Mr Dupont. Today, I finished the design for those, and since you can't really print partial decal sheets, filled out the print job with related stuff, to wit, what will probably be a lifetime supply of such decorations in 54mm scale.

All that just for two of the large knot designs at the lower right :roll:
celt

Post by celt »

Thats a lot of knots.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

celt wrote:Thats a lot of knots.
Yup. About half the French cavalry, and quite a few other folks had them though, and it's two per person of course. Still, cut-and-paste is your friend, so I only had to draw one. I don't think I would have survived drawing them all by hand :shock:
celt

Post by celt »

rob_van_riel wrote:
celt wrote:Thats a lot of knots.
Yup. About half the French cavalry, and quite a few other folks had them though, and it's two per person of course. Still, cut-and-paste is your friend, so I only had to draw one. I don't think I would have survived drawing them all by hand :shock:
Hi rob van riel,I am envious of all you figure builders,I could not paint a figure even if my life depended on it.You are very all talented. :mrgreen:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Some minor work after finishing the viking.

Mr Fournier is at full colour apart from the tons of gold. The barrels on the sash were almost as nerve wracking as I remember from the button lacing on others, so either this was trickier than I'd hoped, or my nerves are shot and I'm really in for it when I get started on the lacing :roll: Mr Dupont has the decorations on his breaches decalled on.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

celt wrote:Hi rob van riel,I am envious of all you figure builders,I could not paint a figure even if my life depended on it.You are very all talented. :mrgreen:
I think you overestimate the amount of talent involved. Just lots and lots and lots of practice :roll:

Return to “Figures and Diorama”