identifying colonial mystery men

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

identifying colonial mystery men

Post by rob_van_riel »

After my experience with their 35th Jersey Zouave, I developed a certain fondness for New Hope Design figures, which presents a bit of a challenge, as they went out of business a long time ago. When I found a shop with some leftover stock on the web, I just couldn't resist. Most of what I got was complete with the paperwork, but I also went out on a limb and bought a set of three figures describe only as "Anglo-indische Soldaten". Beyond that description, I only have the actual parts:

Given my relative lack of knowledge about that place and period, I haven't the faintest idea how to paint them up. I do have some additional info though. New Hope's figures were directly based (and published in cooperation with) Osprey's Men at Arms series of books. Somewhere out there are people with an Osprey book with a picture of each of these chaps.
The two on the left (assuming I correctly matched th arms to the bodies..) are equipped with Lee Metford or Lee Enfield rifles, meaning they can't be any earlier than 1888. The third figure has a musket, which should indicate a few decades earlier.

Can anyone here shed some light on the identities of these figures?
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: identifying colonial mystery men

Post by fredk »

The middle chap is in typical uniform of the Boer Wars period: 1898 - 1903. The chap on the left is in typical Barrack Dress of the same period

Edit; the chap on the right looks like a local British adminstered soldier of the Egyptian wars of 1892-1898; which might make the middle man from the same wars
British made flintlocks were still issued and used by local levied forces upto 1915
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Figures and Diorama”