Air To Air Refueling Dio Help

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
Motley
Active Participant

Air To Air Refueling Dio Help

Post by Motley »

Recently after a post somewhere which i can not for the life of me remember where it is, ive been thinking about creating a little diorama, which ive never done before for some planes refueling while in flight. Preferably id like to use Tornado's as the planes being refueled, but that could always change if another plane takes my fancy, most likely it would be in 1/144 cause of the space issue, so what i was wondering was does anyone know what planes would be used to refuel tornado's and what kits would be best to make the tankers up? Also if anyone can come up with any other pairing of tankers and planes id like to here them.

Thank you in advance, for any help you may give me :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Air To Air Refueling Dio Help

Post by PaulBradley »

Well, if you are think ing RAF, you'd want to take a look at Airfix's 1/144 VC-10, which has markings for the RAF tanker, and you can use that with Dragon's 1/144 Tornados and Harriers, while there are 1/144 Jaguars around from someone I'm sure. Revell do 1/144 Typhoons if you want to be ultra-modern.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Please ignore the crazy man above!
I believe that he's stopped taking his medication, or at least requires a marked increase.
He lulls you in with a reality snip about the VC-10 K2 and then babbles on about Dragon.

No no no no.

The VC-10 K2 is a good starting point, as it is quite readily available, although only Airfix provide the kit.
My build is here;

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... 43&start=0;

Alternatively, you could seek out one of the new Hercules from Minicraft or Amodel. Revell do an older one and I'd suggest the Minicraft is the best of the current bunch, trailed by the old Revell (ex-Otaki).

In recent times, the RAF has also used 'buddy' tankers, (other Tornados) and Canberras.

For either Tornados or Harriers, the only way to go is towards the new tool Revell 1/144's. There's a lovely RAF GR1 to play with. Most of the Revell Tonkas in the shops now are new-tools, although you'd need the Xtradecal sheet for RAF 1/144 Tornados to get the proper RAF decals.
Revell also do an F3 and this is an old Dragon. Currently, it is the only F3 on the market and it requires a little work;

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... ht=tornado;

The box comes with only the one decal option, which is nice enough, but again, the Xtradecal sheet is a must.

The only plusses for Dragon kits is that they come with sort-of crew, pre-moulded into the sort-of cockpit...and their decals are very nice. If using a Revell kit, you'd need crew. You can either try to track down some Aeroclub white metal ones (difficult), but some nice little resin ones from Oz Mods;

http://www.layuqwam.com.au/Ozmods/Resin.html;

Alternatively, you carve your own!
(I have an image somewhere...I'll dig it out).

Regards,
Bruce

For Harriers, Revell are again the bees knees.

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Hah! Found it...How To Make Your Own 1/144 Crew;

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic. ... 98&start=0;

Regards,
Bruce
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Merlin i was actually looking at you VC-10 build earlier and it does look like alot of work especially for someone like me who doesn't have that much skill yet, ive built one of the Revell mini tonkas i found it a good model so was thinking of making them but as i said earlier will look at others to, just the tanker to find but thank for the help will have to go look into ideas you have given me.

Also on the topic of buddy refueling found a good picture of it happening earlier bettwen a Sea vixen as the tanker and a Valiant being refueled, look rather strange seeing the smaller plane refuel the larger one

Tom :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

One purpose of my detailing such builds as my VC-10 K2, is to try and show one way of getting a reasonable result...even if you're relatively new to the hobby. Any new skills acquired are usually transferable to later builds. Likewise, any accumulation of different materials and paints for one kit will usually come in again with another.

If you want to check out the USN, Navy Tomcats use buddy systems and the Dragon Tomcat kits usually carry the necessary parts for USN buddy tankers. You could then mix up Revell Tomcats and Hornets.

RAF-wise, there are 1/144 canberras available, from Oz Mods and Amodel, but both require work.

Alternatively, you could cheat and buy a Corgi diecast, but the money spent on that could probably buy you a few kits instead.

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Brews wrote:Wouldn't the Victor K2 also be a tool for fuelling Tonkas?
Absolutely.

Regards,
Bruce
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I've been toying with the same idea for a dio since last years Thunder Over the Boardwalk. They had a re-fueling flyby. Of course I was thinking along the lines of a KC-x or a Herc or a A6 intruder.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
nightrider2k
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by nightrider2k »

I had a bright idea to build a tribute to 'Operation Black Buck' after reading the book 'Vulcan 607' (which is a great read - documenting the amazing complications involved in preparing and carrying out the raid on Falklands)
I say 'Bright Idea' because after I'd finished it I realised I had nowhere to safely display it, being almost 4foot long by about 15inch wing-span, so I ended up braking it down and now display them individually, but it looked good (I think).
I have seen a VC10 on a diorama refuelling 2 Tonkas but don't recall where (sorry!)....but whatever you decide, I hope you have fun
Heres my 'little' tribute :lol:

Regards
Boz
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Now that is sharp!
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
theplasticsurgeon
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by theplasticsurgeon »

Here's one I prepared earlier.
72nd Victor fueling a Buccaneer and Lightning - all Matchbox.
A=0.
B=0.
C=0.

2015:A=23,B=22,C=2.
2014:A=10,B=26,C=1.
2013:A=12,B=16,C=0.
2012:A=11,B=14,C=1.
2011:A=18,B=9,C=6.
2010:A=26,B=19,C=11.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Now if only Anigrand weren't so expensive...
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Here was my build, I used the Airfix VC-10 and Dragon Tornados. http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=7035;

I really want to do a Victor and two Lightnings,

I wonder if you could do an, US Navy A-6 Intruder and a RAF Tornado? I'm sure I've seen Intruders in 1/144

Or in 1/100th, there are Tamiya 1/100 A-6 Intruder kit, so an Intruder and A-7 Corsair or Intruder - Buccaneer.

Hmm an Intruder Buccaneer sounds cool...

Let us know what you are thinking.

Cheers
Jim
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

theplasticsurgeon wrote:Here's one I prepared earlier.
72nd Victor fueling a Buccaneer and Lightning - all Matchbox.
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Hmmm, we might have the makings of a group build here....... :shock:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну