1/72 Beachhead

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
aeroplanegripper
Active Participant

Re: 1/72 Beachhead

Post by aeroplanegripper »

Great looking scene there mate, impressed with the weathering on the bunkers!
Best Regards

Mark

"bis vivit qui bene vivit"
IPMS UK No 9960

On the go (ish), and under the bench or about to be:

Academy P-51C Mustang -1/72nd
Academy Grumman Hellcat II - 1/72nd
Hasegawa Brewster Buffalo I - 1/72nd
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Ratch »

Jane has asked for this at Telford so I've fixed down some figures, took the pictures and then realised I hadn't put the beach obstacles on it :ha:
More to follow ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

And with the obstacles

Airfix Tribute Forum
tonp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by tonp »

The figures are sods to paint at that scale, you have done a excellent paint job, and diorama 8-) , and you can play Saving Private Ryan ;-) :grin:
jvenables
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by jvenables »

I really like the way you have finished those, but I get the impression that the scale of those bases are all screwed up. The bunker may be 1/72 scale but the beach and precipice seems to be more like 1/144 scale or smaller. The disparity is very noticeable when it has 1/72 scale AFVs on it.

From what I have seen of the Normandy beaches (both in photos and through my visit to the beaches several years ago), the geomorphology seems to be roughly consistent with the beach around Luc sur Mer - Lion sur Mer, but if 1/72 scale, then the cliffs are much too low and the beach too short, even at high tide (remember that the D-Day landings were at low tide). There are parts of Gold Beach that had/have a very short beach, but there is no cliff edge at that location; just the beach and some dunes.

If the diorama bases are used as an artistic representation only, then that's OK, but for anyone seeking scale accuracy, then they are unsuitable.

On the point of beach width, I was surprised just how wide Omaha Beach was at low tide. From the water's edge to the sand dunes was at least 200 - 250 metres and it was poignant to think of the extreme difficulty faced by the US forces in getting from the landing craft to the beachhead alive under a hail of MG, mortar and artillery fire.

Those 3D printed obstacles look superb though. The real things would have rusted very quickly in that environment and whilst the grainy surface looks a bit overscale for 1/72 scale rust, a couple of coats of paint (or Mr Surfacer) would probably tone it down to a realistic level.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I think a bit of artistic licence has to be used with this sort of thing otherwise the base could end up being ridiculously huge. As a little dio base I think it looks fine. A good job Ratch, some great painting and weathering.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
tonp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by tonp »

As my grandson told me, you have to have a imagination :grin:, if you tried building a diorama, to a true complete !:72 scale :roll: , it would be one big dio :shock:, I was at the Normandy Beaches in 2012, a very moving experience. Excellent diorama Ratch.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Thanks very much gents :grin:
When I started railway modelling I thought it would be a good idea to build the layout to scale, with the correct curvature of the line etc etc. When I discovered how much room was required I decided compromises had to be made, and I suspect the manufacturer decided the same with this little vac-form 8-)
Airfix Tribute Forum
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

That is truly brilliant mate, well done.
George B.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Thanks George, this now forms half of a bigger diorama ;-)
Airfix Tribute Forum
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

These Amera mouldings look so basic in the bag but your dio really shows how well a bit of skillful painting and presentation can bring them to life. Nice one mate 8-)

I wish I'd picked up that HAS at Telford now :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Cheers Daz. Like any model, the key is planning. There may be fewer parts, but the processes to transform then requires practise ;-)
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Figures and Diorama”