Telford 2013

Discussion of the CBK SIG Display for SMW 2013. Rebuilding some of your earliest modelling memories.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Telford 2013

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

mightymikeD wrote:In light of Beany's post. and some quality boosting by Bruce this year..
How about "Year Of the (Winged) Horse: Pegasus Kits"

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4216

Not the easiest kits to build and quite WWI-Centric.. but what a great set-up for all the Centenary stuff next year..

Dumb idea?
Too narrow to narrow in scope and quantity. Although we can't seem to avoid airplane-centric we try to represent the other modeling interests. Dpesn't exclude a Pegasus or three, but they couldn't hold the whole show ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

beany wrote:My problem with the 1963 IPMS Anniversary things is that I was only 3 years old in 1963 and so wasn't building anything yet.
I was two when Frog stopped didn't stop me building several kits for the World of Frog. I don't think you need personal experience of 1963 to enjoy building the kits available then. In fact most CBK kits were produced before I could wield a tube of glue.

The main IPMS (UK) displays will be kits from the last 50 years. I had hoped that IPMS would have posted some details about what is happening. They gave us an outline of what they wanted to do in the Branch&SIG meeting but we need an official announcement with all the details.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Why not build CBKs of all the aircraft the RAF was flying in 1963?
That's what you (as I wasn't born till 1970) would have been building back then.
Plenty of choice of aircraft from a selection of manufacturers?

I'm not in the SIG, so tell me to shut up if you like.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

@ Ian,

The more input the better, imho,

@ John
jRatz wrote:Going back to Martin's early post where he posits two ideas
Martin R wrote: Here's what you could do in 1963
Or
Here's what you can do with what was available in 1963
I keep looking at these trying to decide if he's just messing with us :???: because on the one hand the questions appear identical in meaning if not words, but on the other hand they may not be. I think what I have put forward more supports the 2nd version but I'd be hard pressed to explain the differences. Just to be clear I've already assumed paint, decals, tools, supplies, skills to be universal so its really just the aftermarket parts we exclude.
I'm not deliberately trying to mess with you. Just more a case of "I know what I was trying to say - why didn't you?" :grin:

What I meant (I think) was:

Option 1: OOB

Option 2: 'Improve'

Apologies if I implied that those of us mature enough to have been modelling in 1963 were not concerned with 'improving' kits. That's a lazy slander - I was not around then, so have no idea what modelling was like. Probably as multifarious as it is now, but perhaps the comms links were not in place to give anyone a complete picture?

I'll post some more thoughts below, but this post is getting a bit long for the editor now.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

OK, so to give some more detail.

When I wrote "Here's what you could do in 1963", I have a view of building pretty much what's in the box, with pretty basic tools. The thing I was thinking of was like in the Starter Kits GB last year, where what was in the box plus basic tools was the order of the day. As mentioned in the previous post, this is no doubt a vile calumny on those skilled modellers of the day, but hey - that's prejudice for you.

When I wrote "Here's what you can do with what was available in 1963" I was thinking of building with all that is available to us in 2013.

I have no particular ideas on what we should do for Telford this year (which is why I initiated the debate) and whether either - or both - or indeed neither of the above are chosen, I don't particularly mind personally.

Re use of AM, well that's a good question. However, would we classify eg plastic rod / sheet as AM? Probably wasn't available in 1963 except to a minority of modellers (put me right here, please) but I see it as a slightly more modern alternative to balsa (although the latter still has its place with some of us*).

One last thought: I like the SKGB approach of taking a particular kit and letting people do what they wish with it. That could be oob, or it could be slapping copious amounts of AM at it, or anything in-between. Not saying this is relevant to any putative Telford display, I just personally like it and this kind of approach may have a place.

Finally, I do have a rather nice Airfix Halibag in the stash, but I've already enlarged the cockpit perimeter to try to take the Falcon vacform canopy!

regards,

Martin

* Not being disparaging - I just don't have that particular skill set.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Final final final thought:

From my inspection of the Atlas, I believe the USA to be a somewhat spacious country. However, would this preclude any of our Colonial cousins targetting a "Classic British Kits" table at a suitable US show? :grin:

regards,

Martin
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

No, it was I who was potentially slanderous, apologies to John. :oops: I'll post some photos though of sample covers if I can find those mags. We have a different and expanded skill set today with a whole new range of tools and 'crutches' to help us.

Martin, we did have a CBK USA, but the country is just too large - it is difficult for enough members to get together and bring enough models together to make a worthwhile fist of it. We had a darned good go at the Phoenix Nats a couple of years ago, but that was an exception.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Martin R wrote:When I wrote "Here's what you could do in 1963", I have a view of building pretty much what's in the box, with pretty basic tools. The thing I was thinking of was like in the Starter Kits GB last year, where what was in the box plus basic tools was the order of the day. As mentioned in the previous post, this is no doubt a vile calumny on those skilled modellers of the day, but hey - that's prejudice for you.

When I wrote "Here's what you can do with what was available in 1963" I was thinking of building with all that is available to us in 2013.
That's really what I thought Matt meant as well, though I'm sure he will correct us as necessary.
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Ian wrote:Why not build CBKs of all the aircraft the RAF was flying in 1963?
That's what you (as I wasn't born till 1970) would have been building back then.
Plenty of choice of aircraft from a selection of manufacturers?

I'm not in the SIG, so tell me to shut up if you like.

Ian, 'tis easy enough to join the SIG - you don't need to be an IPMS member, thpugh it is always nice if someone is as they can be added to the returns! Just send your name and e-mail to our glorious leader and he'll add you to the rolls. That applies to anyone who is interested.

As far as your suggestion, I'll refer you t the guidelines we have:

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=230&t=5761;

We could of course add the RN and Army to the idea - "Britain's Armed Forces in 1963" - there's scope for adding dioramas and vignettes of course.
Paul

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

A possible idea to work into the overall display or a theme in it's own right - some vintage CBKs, bagged or boxed, clearly displaying the price at the time, alongside the self same kits with today's boxes and price. Then if we can get two copies of each one, show one built (OOB, whole tube of glue used, no paint, just the stickers!) and one as just the box contents, the box, sprues, decals and instructions on display compared with those today (also built and boxed contents on display). There won't be much difference in some cases I bet!

Examples - Airfix (60's) then versus Airfix now, FROG (60's - 70's) then versus Ark (or Novo or Chematic etc.) now, Matchbox (80's) then (Yippee - THREE COLOURED PLASTIC) versus Revell re-pops now, and any others anyone else can think of.
I hope I have explained this clearly enough - I know what I'm thinking of and can explain or even illustrate it better if necessary.

Cheers
Al.

P.S. Just thought of another one - Kitmaster (50s - 60's I think) then versus DAPOL now?!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I have some Kitmaster, but mostly engines & coaches, not the freight wagons & station buildings, etc . I have some Airfix re-pops, but no Dapol boxings. I could go looking for more, but I suspect a few is enough.

Unfortunately most of my boxes have been through the re-seller cycle and any hope of a useable box with an original price is forlorn at best ....
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I wasn't expecting to see the original price on the boxes John, but rather to put a table card for each scenario with a then and now comparison.
Obviously use of as much original subject matter like boxes will be great, but not essential, even a print out of the original box art would suffice for nostalgia purposes in true CBK fashion!

Example (printed large enough for people to read):

Subject
Manufacturers Name then: Manufacturers Name Now
Price then: Price now
Number of parts then: Number of parts now (plus and extras, PE, Resin, Metal etc.)
Decal Options then: Decal options now
for example...

1/72 Heinkel He115
Issuer Then: Matchbox (1978) - Now: Revell (2010)
Price Then: £1.49 - Price Now: £11.99
Number of parts - 58 (both - no change)
Decal Options Then: x3 (2 German, 1 Finnish) - Decals Now: x2 (both German)
plus any other relevant detail.
The details are mostly fictitious here, but it is just a quick illustration of what I had in mind.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Should we decide on a 1963 tie-in, I have been rummaging through my library and I have a number of British books and magazines from that year, and 1962, that could be used to help populate the tables.
Paul

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

@Al -- now I understand, I was in a literal moment there :oops: And, all this talk (mine included) of magazines, we've probably got lots of period ads we can put down right with them ....

I would think anything pre-1963 that would be available in 1963 would be fair game although the closer we stick to 1963 might be better, I don't know, maybe we set a range 1960-63 or so just to poen the possibilities .... For example I have Airfix Mags from the start, 1961, and a few laying about wouldn't hurt any. Likewise Aeromodeller, some RAFFR, that sort of thing .... I must go find all my dups and get looking ....
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

How about a display of anything that would have been in the air, on the water, driving around on the roads or on the rails in 1963?

Most of the Airfix old cars or trains would fit the bill plus a large chunk of their a/c range.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “SMW 2013 - My First CBKs”