Telford 2013

Discussion of the CBK SIG Display for SMW 2013. Rebuilding some of your earliest modelling memories.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

jelly071
Getting well comfy!

Re: Telford 2013

Post by jelly071 »

I will go With The Flow
Thanks Mike
IPMS 12171 AMSIG Member

Love an old kit
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Just to let you know I am working on a poll for all the suggested ideas 95% complete, but I need a couple more days to try to bring together what seems to the main consensus here. Which is John+Pauls CBKs with supporting contemporary materials mixed, with some of my "inspired by" idea. I want to distil this down to a single idea.

If anyone has any bright ideas in the meanwhile don't be shy! ;-)
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I think John's idea is a great display idea but needs a raisin d'être ie it could be used to show off a number of the other suggestions. This was probably what I was thinking when I suggested the "inspired by" idea.

Anyway Matt's I heart CBKs has got me thinking again... Oh no I hear you cry.

"My first CBKs" - everyone contributes 3 or 4 builds that were some of the earliest CBKs that they remember building. It does matter if the first CBK you built was only a year ago after being a kit assembler for 30 years. I not looking for the original builds, this is a trip down memory lane a chance to revisit kits of your past. they might be kits that you were never able to complete as a child or something you but on haste so you could blow it up. What I would like to go with each build is one or two lines describing your memory of the kit, did you paint it, did you get the stickers own, did you build it with your dad.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

If I understand, I'd build 3-4 CBK's I "had", with each a memory card.
Then to supplement the display, if I can find some period ads, covers, articles that "might have been" my inspiration, include them.

Am I close ?

Now you understand that I'm reaching back sometime into the 1957-1965 period to assemble this. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast :grin:

Do you want them built as then, where "then" is variable by the modeler (in my case rock carvings) ?

I have 7 listed just off top of my head, I shall have to look at a couple of catalogs to jog my memory.

The down side to this is that it will, again, be very aircraft centric. I did ships, etc, quite a few, but none were CBK's .... Could we perhaps include a "would have if I could have" (max one per modeler) to broaden the scope ....

Oh, wait, maybe I'm misreading this a bit. My first CBk's were in 57-65; but my first CBK autos were just recently so one would count; same with ships, etc. They were "first" when I did them, which is not necessarily a contiguous event ?? That would break up the aircraft centricity ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by philp »

Hate to throw this in so late in the game but what about one more year of Box Top displays, maybe we even more FROG, Matchbox, etc.?

I know you have done this several years but it is a very unique display and always seems to get a lot of good press, especially the magazine coverage I have seen of the last years always includes a couple pics from the tables.

Maybe one more big push for the 50th and then change to something different next year.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Phil, I wouldn't want us to run the idea dry - two years in a row is fine (call 2012 an encore of sorts), but three years mightbe pushing it with the audience. We can resurrect it in a few years - perhaps with some forethought and pre-planning, we can introduce some new elements.

An interesting idea, James. My first was the old Airfix Bf109G. I could build one of those alongside the new one - though neither is what you might call a classic. Trying to remember some of the other early ones I built, but we're talking 40 years ago....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

No problem remembering for me -- I must be a youngster! Golden Hind (which I still have), P-47D (with a yellow rudder and red cowling ring, HMS Hood, a Caravelle, and the Bf110/Spitfire IX dogfight double... Stu might finally get to see "JE-J" on the table...

bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Your first CBKs can be some of your earliest childhood memories or the first time your tackled a particular subject e.g your first CBK ship, your first cottage industry CBK, your first CBK automobile. For the early stuff I can't remember exactly what I built or when. The first kit I remember I think was a Matchbox tank as I remember looking at these in the newsagent. The first kit I completed and painted was an Airfix 1/72 Stuka (I bought one last year in period box). My first Airfix 54mm figure was only built a few years ago and would just display that.

I'd expect you to build the kits as you would normally to your 'current' standard, improvements, added detailing are fine, doesn't have to be the same markings. As for all CBK build throwing a ton of resin at it isn't really the done thing. If you have the original kit then great, you could show how much you have improved by showing it along side a current build of the kit.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

OK, this is forming up .... I think I built the Fairey Battle after reading an article about the debacle over the Albert Canal bridges in RAFFR. The Defiant, I am pretty sure, was also built after reading an article in RAFFR ....

And now that I understand what "my first" means, it becomes a bit easier to assemble display material ....
ollieholmes
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by ollieholmes »

Im up for the first CBK kits idea, im just trying to think what mine where. I definatly remember doing the Airfix Lancaster Dambuster kit. Ive got memories of an Airfix Vulcan that never got finished. I do remember a 1:72 Airfix Control Tower that lasted many years (i think i finaly threw away the last bits about two years ago. And then there was my favourite E-Type Jaguar which i remember spending hours building after seing one for real at Old Warden.
philp

Post by philp »

hmmm, no idea what my first Airfix/Matchbox/FROG kits were but do remember when I was 9-10 I got into 72/76th scale armor and built lots of Airfix/MPC kits. Not sure which was first but do remember when I bought the half-track and 88mm from a hobby shop in Duluth, MN (wonder if they are still there). Since I picked that up to do a box top version, guess I can just build it and should be able to get that in the luggage.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

James,

I think I have my "list". Where I cannot exactly say which was first, I have choices -- you get a vote to ensure diversity of entries (most all of us did a Spitfire 1st, I'll bet). My "presentation" would start at Airfix-aircraft back in the late 50's - early 60's, then jump to the 2005-present .... Of course you know that when I say CBK aircraft, they weren't CBK's back then but that's Ok ....

My first CBK = my first CBK Airfix = my first CBK aircraft, and would be one of the following late-50's, early 60's. I have listed in release date sequence, which is not necessarily buy/build sequence. I suspect that I did a single-engine before multi-engine, but who knows as I had been modeling for a bit. But I ramble ....
Spitfire IX - have one to build
Hurricane IV RP - have one to build
Mossie VI - have one to build
Wellie III - have one to build
Lanc B.I - have one built, OOB, G-George
Sunderland - have one to build (the one I sent CC SIG is junk & suffered damage enroute)
Defiant - have one to build
Whirlwind F - have one to build

My first CBK Matchbox = aircraft wasn't until 2005, but it has ties to Oct 59 Aeromodeller for a decent story.
Stranraer -- I have one completed that needs dusting, rigging repaired, and one missing Vickers located
I also have several fighters (Spitfire, Hellcat, Hurricane, Lysander, Fury, Siskin, Gladiator) done about the same time.

My first CBK FROG = aircraft was done for 101 Gems; not much of a story on either.
Swordfish -- if good enough, you have this in the Gems collection still, or I have another one started.
or maybe the
Whitley -- CC SIG has this one ....

My first CBK Auto was done for 101 Gems; no story, just an assigned task.
Matchbox Auto Union -- you may have this in the Gems collection still; IIRC I had difficulty getting the body to stay mounted and it sprung apart in transit and you had to repair it. If not good enough, I have another I could build .. and maybe get right ...

My first CBK Ship is still sitting on/near my workbench, over 75% complete. No story to either but a choice of:
Airfix HMS Ajax -- the unfinished boxart display from 2012; could be done as just a model (although I might have to tidy up the hull below waterline) or I could finish the boxart display .... OOB plus WEM Photo-etch
Airfix HMS Iron Duke -- unfinished from Ship GB; is very close. It has WEM PE and I reworked the top to better represent a WW1 era configuration, see the Ship GB for details ....

My first CBK armor is from last year, or this year ... no real story
Matchbox Churchill AVRE SBG -- my first was the pure SBG done for Blitzbau XI, August 2012, the second was the "folding SBG" done for this years Braille GB ....

My first CBK rail were done for Gems, you have them, no real story other than I like them ...
Airfix Brake Van
Airfix Meat Van

My first CBK figure is the infamously unfinished
Airfix Riflemen for last year's boxart; I can finish one or more, even the display; well over 50% complete

So, I have 8 "first" categories listed, and under a few choices of "first" model. It's probably best for you to pick what you want to when you see what others have so we get some diversity. I'm ready to swear on a stack of instruction sheets that anything you pick really was "first" :)

The good news, given my spotty last-minute, performance is that some are done & over there, and many others are mostly done. I am, this year, keeping my bench clear to make this happen earlier, not later, and not embarrass myself & the SIG as last year ....
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

By George, I think he's (I've) got it!

Or at least getting the glimmering!

I like the "first of" and the "story behind" ideas. I have no idea at this remove what were the first models I've made, but I can remember some vague memories . . .

Dad spraying the spinner of the Matchbox Hurricane red for me and the smell as it dried on top of the telly (obviously enamel car paint - he had a red Alfa Romeo),

Making the Airfix Spitfire Mk Vb while I was off school ill, and wondering why light grey paint took on a flesh tone agains the light blue plastic,

Tracing round the outline of an Airfix Beaufighter fuselage and colouring it in to make my own 'colour profile',

Parking my Airfix Boston III with its tail tight against the wall, so it didn't 'tail sit',

My first sight of a FROG (or was it NOVO kit) in the local newsagents. It was a Corsair IV and it had a cool colour scheme of gloss dark blue with weird roundel and bar markings that I didn't recognise,

Nostalgia - it ain't what it used to be.

regards,

Martin
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

My First Airliner - the Airfix Vanguard. I do remember it well - it was when we lived in Scotland, and my mum and I were watching Jeux Sans Frontieres one evening. She helped with construction - the only time I remember her helping with my models! Must have been 8 or so at the time.

Now, I do have the kit, but it doesn't have the Red Square BEA markings - does anyone have a useable set I could trade/pay for? Otherwise, it'll be in the Peony scheme for which I do have decals.

I remember seeing ads for this kit in some of my old mags. I'll have to search for one. Must have some early references to go with it as well.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Just came across this ebay seller with loads of old model adverts from Victor (and the like) magazines.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Model-Kits-/1 ... sygeorge03;

Return to “SMW 2013 - My First CBKs”