CBK Display Suggestion Guidelines

Discussion of the CBK SIG Display for SMW 2013. Rebuilding some of your earliest modelling memories.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

CBK Display Suggestion Guidelines

Post by JamesPerrin »

Yes it's that time of year when we decide what we are going to do for this years display. I see that the debate has already started so before it gets too crazy I would ask that all CBK members consider that following points. These are based on the experience of the displays the CBK has put on previously and the ethos of the SIG, not just the subject matter but how we want to present the hobby.

Model shows are public events

A large proportion of attendees to model shows are the general public as opposed to regular modellers. Many may just have a passing interest, or are just bringing the kids for a day out. For this reason the CBK SIG display is not just a Group Build to satisfy our own nerdish interests but a display to entertain, interest and inform anyone who stops to look. The SIG's mentality is unashamedly nostalgic and promotes building model kits for the joy of it. Our displays are about kits and that old kits are still fun to build.

Imagine a typical family where dad builds some models, he has brought his wife and child who may have made a couple of kits. The dad should reminisce, the mum should go "ooh what's that" and the kid should be going pointing and begging his parents to stop and look if they haven't already :mrgreen:

Display Criteria

* A simple concept that can be understood by all. The punters shouldn't have to read a load bumpf or have more that a passing interest in models to understand what the display is about.

* The display should avoid being aeroplane centric. We want ships, cars, trains, tanks and figures etc to reflect the broad spectrum of subjects that CBK manufacturers produced.

* Think also about how the models should be display. What extra materials can we provide to add interest and support the concept. Do we need to build special stands or backdrops?

* It is the 50th anniversary of IPMS (UK) and no doubt there will be other SIG and branches wanting to tap into the celebration. Just because it seems too 'obvious' for the Classic British Kits SIG to do something to tie in with this doesn't mean that it's a bad idea. With everyone looking back at what has happened in the modelling world over the last 50th years it would be foolish to not be a part of that just to be 'different'.

I've said this repeatedly and will say it again, the CBK SIG is about engaging with the public as well as our fellow modellers. A display that garners a lot of interest from a broad range of people means those volunteering on the table enjoy the show and get something out of standing behind a table for 12 hours other than sore feet! ;-)
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “SMW 2013 - My First CBKs”