"My First CBKs" Guidelines, Sign Up & Chat

Discussion of the CBK SIG Display for SMW 2013. Rebuilding some of your earliest modelling memories.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

"My First CBKs" Guidelines, Sign Up & Chat

Post by JamesPerrin »

My first CBKs
Rebuilding your past!

Please contributes between 1 and 4 builds that were some of the earliest CBKs that they remember building. We are specifically not looking for the original builds, this is a trip down memory lane a chance to revisit kits of your past. They might be kits that you were never able to complete as a child or something you but on haste so you could blow it up. It does not matter if the first CBK you built was only a year ago after being a kit assembler for 30 years, it was a new experience and we want your to tell us about it.

With each build you must provide one or two lines describing your memory of the kit, did you paint it, did you get the stickers own, did you build it with your dad. So that I don't have to chase people up later you must provide the "memory" when you sign up with your builds.. I also think it maybe fun to have a picture of you as as kid (especially if it is modelling related!) to go with your memories :grin:

Please only suggest CBKs that really were one of your first kits, not just one of the 100 kits you built as a kid.

In addition to your actual earliest CBKs the following categories can be used:

My first CBK Figure - whether 54mm or large scale historic, man, bird or dinosaur.

My first CBK Airliner - 737s etc though not small civilian aircraft

My first CBK Tank - tanks and other AFVs

My first CBK Ship - sailing, battleships, launches or one of the handful of civilian vessels

My first CBK Civilian vehicle - cars, bikes trains

My first CBK Spaceship - rockets and SciFi

My first CBK Cottage Industry Kit - vacform, resin or short-run injection

Obviously you can only have 1 kit in each category, some may be your "earliest CBKs" anyway e.g. my first ever kit was a tank. There is no requirement to fill every category.

We'd expect you to build the kits as you would normally to your 'current' standard, improvements, added details are fine, and doesn't have to be the same markings, thouh would be nice. As for all CBK build throwing a ton of resin at it isn't really the done thing. If you have the original kit then great, you could show how much you have improved by showing it along side a current build of the kit. If it so happens that you built your first CBK Airliner, Figure etc only recently and it is good enough for display them please bring that.

For the display we would like to collect modelling magazines and advertising, pots of Airfix paint, Britfix glue etc. from the time you first built the kits to put things in context.

If you have any questions please ask. I will post my proposed builds below as an example.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: "My First CBKs" Guidelines, Sign Up & Chat

Post by JamesPerrin »

My Earliest CBK 1) - Matchbox 1/76 Panzer III Ausf. L

This was the first kit I ever had, after pestering my mum for weeks to buy it from the newsagents. I didn't get far as it had too many wheels. Mum said "Well, it is a tank".

My Earliest CBK 2) - Airfix 1/72 Stuka

My dad took me to the local supermarket to buy paints for this, they came in these funny little tubes. It was a the first time I completed a model, paint and transfers!

My First CBK Airliner - Airfix 1/144 BAC 111

This had a little tool to punch holes the decals so after being placed over the window and a stairs in the tail, cool!

My First CBK Figure - Airfix 54mm ECW Roundhead Pike Man

A school friend and his dad used to build 1/32 figures and have them all over the house, 30 years later I built my first. The kit is still as good as anything you could get today.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Just for clarification, in the six named categories, I don't see ships ?
I don't see aircraft either, but I think there is the assumption they will be well represented in the 1-4 earliest CBK section.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

jRatz wrote:Just for clarification, in the six named categories, I don't see ships ?
I don't see aircraft either, but I think there is the assumption they will be well represented in the 1-4 earliest CBK section.
Doh! that's what happens when you write posts before you have woken up! I'll amend the post above. Thanks for spotting it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

My first CBK bought was the Airfix Scammell Scarab bought back in 1962/63 when I was nine or ten, my brother had a Hornby HO/OO three rail electric train set layout and he conned me into buying it so we could build it for his train set that I eventually inherited when he joined the Royal Navy.

I plan to build the DAPOL re-issue of the old Airfix kit.

My First Airliner will be the Bristol Super freighter, I can remember when I first built it but it would have been the mid 60’s. I have fond memories of the Bristol Super freighters as the operated out of Lydd airport just down the road from Folkestone where I was brought up as a lad and my mum used to drive me out there to watch them land and have cream teas at the airport cafe.

For this build it will be a late issue of the Airfix kit.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

i'll go for the Vosper MTB and the E-boat.

My late father seldom used to build models with me; generally he left me to my own devices with the kits. However, just twice that i can remember, when i was ~8 -10, we built a kit together: the Vosper MTB and the Revell USS Constitution. The Revell is not a CBK so i will ignore it, but the Vosper is :) It must have been just as the kit was released by Airfix and was the first time i had ever seen filler and sanding used. he brush painted it while i did most of the gluing; it sat on my shelf for years before succumbing to age or something.

The E-boat was the first "proper" kit it built; many aeroplanes and tanks had been put together and blown up but the e-boat was specifically requested as a birthday present (probably my 11th, maybe 12th). I happily unwrapped it and spent weeks just looking at the plastic before gluing it together. It matched the vosper on my shelf for years.

I reckon i can make much better attempts at both of them now....

Alan
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

I'd like to submit 4 for consideration, three aircraft and one ship

No 1: Airfix 1/72 F-16A/B Fighting Falcon, the first kit that my dad let me loose with the glue on by myself, I built it as the two seater 'cos more seats is better ;-) and my dad finished it off in the Dutch markings. It was loaded for bear with Mavericks, LGBS, tanks and 'winders.

No 2: Airfix 1/48 deHavilland Mosquito FB.VI, Bought for me because one of the kit options TH*M part spelled my name, built and painted together with my dad and used to gain my craftsman badge in cub scouts :grin:

No 3: Airfix 1/180 HMS Victory, inherited part built from my Dad when we cleared out Nan's loft, I spent hours attaching all the cannon barrels and masts, was played with for many years until it finally fell apart.

No 4: Skybirds 86 deHavilland Hornet F.3, My first attempt at a multi-media, short run cottage industry kit, built last year as part of the Insect GB on the forum and sits at the front of my display cabinet, a real turning point in my modelling that still brings me great joy.

The last needs clarification as to whether its a CBK or not, production date 1986/87 and definitely British but I'm happy to take the judges decision on it, the other 3 will keep me very busy!!

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Some nice subjects there guys and good memories.

@Viking, Was the Constitution released by Revell(GB), if so it gets in on a technicality, normal CBK age rules still apply

@TomW, Skybirds'86 are on the cusp but were in the 101 GEMs display so they are allowed too.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Tom I have the Victory in my stash going spare if you need it.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
TomW

Post by TomW »

Thanks for the clarification James :grin: that means that build no:1 for me is already completed, easiest contribution to a CBK display ever :ha:

And thanks for the offer of the Victory Alan but I've got one in my stash too and had been waiting for a suitable opportunity to build it :grin:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I am going to have to wing this one as I have very little recollection of first builds I did, let alone whether they would now be Classic and British or not.
However, four that have stuck in my memory are:

1/12th Matchbox Barry Sheene Yamaha. I couldn't believe seeing my hero appear in a Matchbox kit catalogue back in the late 70's; a classic three colour kit (including chrome parts) and one that included a rider figure. It was years before I finally got my hands on the kit. It got built but has subsequently suffered too much damage to use in a display, but I have another Matchbox version in the stash (the Revell re-pop doesn't include the rider figure).

1/8th Airfix Honda CB750Four. Another bike and almost the same story as above - coveted the kit in Airfix catalogues for years and finally acquired in the eBay era. Like the Yamaha, has been built and diplayed before but damaged beyond repair and will need to build another (in the stash) for November.

1/32 Matchbox SA330 Puma "A chopper too far..." Anyone who knows me knows I like larger scale kits - because they were always the reserve of birthdays and Christmas for a lad growing up in the 60's and 70's. Next to the Airfix Superkits, this one really blew my brain when I first saw it. It was some years before one came in to my possession and was never completed as I just lacked the skills and commitment to complete it. I have another in the stash so will probably do that one rather than complete the previously started but long discarded attempt of my youth!
I did get as far as motorising the main rotor:

1/24th Airfix Ju87 Stuka. My ultimate dream kit as a teenager (again in a catalogue but also oft admired in the local model shop, but never purchased) was the Revell 1/32 Stuka with the snake decal down the side. I always intended to reproduce this scheme on the Airfix Superkit but Santa never seemed to get my letters with the Airfix Superkit at the top of the list. In those days I was very confident of my artistic ability to paint the snake freehand. Since then I have become less cocksure (I hope) and thus some years ago purchased the Montex masks to reproduce the snake at 1/24th scale. I have an unbuilt Stuka that I will use rather than the box art one currently in circulation.

These are just my current thoughts on potential builds for the display. Even if they are considered acceptable I may yet change my mind as my memory farts out the occasional update or remembrance between now and November.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ollieholmes
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by ollieholmes »

My builds will be:
Airfix 1:72 Vulcan - I remember it well as i started it with my dad but never finished it. I dont recall exactly my first aircraft but im sure this was one of them as i remember getting it after seing her final flight and screaming due to the noise.
Airfix E-Type - Im pretty sure this was my first car having spent ages looking at the real thing and bugging my parents to buy me the kit.

Im going to start off with these two and see how i go. Incidently im trying to wrack my brains for my frst figures and i think it was the Airfix Commandos with the Bunker set. First Ship would have been the Airfix Belfast after going to see the real one. First tank i dont remember but i think it was the Matchbox half track thing on the Desert base (donated by a freind whod had it laying around for ages).

If i get the first few done i may then progress to the others but i dont want to stretch myself to far.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Hmmm. I'm wondering what I can add here. I have a number of CBKs built up already that I could offer in, but I know you don't want it to be too aircraft-centric (I only build planes).

Airfix:

I currently have Beaufighter, Boston, Meteor III, Mossie, Mustang. I have no idea which one I built first as a boy, but I did build them all (I have neglected the Dambuster Lanc and Lysander, as I never managed to finish them in my younger years).

Matchbox:

I have just started a Hurricane IIC, and I do remember building this as a boy. This would be my "first Matchbox".

FROG:

Corsair IV - I remember building this in my teenage years after a local newsagent was taken in by a commercial traveller. This is the first FROG I remember seeing.

You're welcome to have all of them if you wish, but I am happy to bow out to let others have a go.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

OK where did everybody go? :???: Fourteen people voted for this theme and so far only seven have signed up and two of them had voted for the other theme. Don't make me have to go and get my big stick now! :twisted: :mrgreen:
ejsnotgrass
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ejsnotgrass »

Don't worry I'm still in, just trying to think which kits I had in my earlier years.

Return to “SMW 2013 - My First CBKs”