My firsts...

Discussion of the CBK SIG Display for SMW 2013. Rebuilding some of your earliest modelling memories.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

My firsts...

Post by philp »

Ok, I will try for two and should be able to get them in the luggage for the trip.

First CBK Armor - Airfix 88mm and Halftrack. Picked up the kit recently and may even try to do it in the boxtop style. Will see how that goes because with me, getting the kit done would be a win.

First CBK Airliner - and only airliner. Airfix DC-9 done up as Hugh Hefner's Big Bunny. Need to source some replacement landing gear as I think I have only a couple main wheels left. Can anyone help out?
This was also one of my first conversions and not using kit or aftermarket decals because no one made them. The conversion was easy. Big Bunny doesn't have all of the windows that the regular airliner has so was a matter of puttying up the correct ones and painting over. I will have to recheck to see if any touch up needs doing on these.

The decals were a bit harder. I found some rub on letters/numbers to do the serial on the engine pods but the famous rabbit head on the tail was a problem (I was probably 17 at the time). So, using an image from a useful reference magazine (yes, that one) I drew the image on a piece of paper and then transferred that to some masking tape to get the mirror images. Painted the tail white, stuck the masks on and then sprayed gloss black. I was quite happy with myself when it didn't look too bad.

I will dig it out of the boneyard and get some pics and then see what I can do to get it up to speed.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: My firsts...

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

If you don't have gear, can you convert it (the plane, not the 88) to in-flight ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
philp

Post by philp »

Thought about that John and if I can't come up with the gear I will probably go that route.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Good to see you on board Phil!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
philp

Post by philp »

Ok, found the plane in the boneyard and pulled her out. Not in too bad of shape.

The tail markings were hand drawn and transferred to some masking tape and stuck over the white painted tail. Then Gloss Black was sprayed over the whole model. Masks were removed and the details painted in.

The serial number was made from some rub on letters and numbers.

The stabilizers fit on with no fuss so just a matter of some touch up paint work and replacing the missing landing gear.

If I can't find any spares I guess we will try to have her inflight (no pun intended) but would need a good stand.

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Hi Phil have you got you kits sorted out for the display?
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
philp

Post by philp »

I am here (Norwich currently) and did bring the Big Bunny. Took forever to find an Airfix stand out of my old kits but I did. Don't look at the underside as I still haven't closed up the wheel wells.

Just need to know when I can bring it for the table? Since I am on the Tour I am not sure if we will get early access to drop kits off or not.

Return to “SMW 2013 - My First CBKs”