Bomb Group briefing aka B17 G/B chat thread.

Flying Forts of any description. Load em up and send em out. Start Jan 15th. End March 1st Mod Gregers.
Gregers
Forum founder

Bomb Group briefing aka B17 G/B chat thread.

Post by Gregers »

Hi folks. Almost time to start attacking our Flying Fortress kits. I personally am looking forward to this one (and have been for some time) Please feel free to open your own build threads.

All the best,

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Bomb Group briefing aka B17 G/B chat thread.

Post by Ratch »

When does it start Greg :???:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

January 15th I believe. Looking forward to this one.

Knockout Dropper!

A:B
2012 20:05 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 193:51
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

I had this thought in my head that there was a B-17 in Thunderball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBssigGUYFg;

Is that a Flying Fortress?

Knock-out Dropper!

A:B
2012 20:05 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 193:51
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

It sure is and it is the exact same aircraft I did the model of when I did my all black CIA Fortress. After use by the CIA it was used to test the pick up gear used in the film.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Chaps,

What is the best colour in the Humbrol range for attacking B-17 cockpit interiors? Bronze green?

regards,

Martin
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

There are lots and lots of opinions about the interior colors. Sometimes the color depended on which factory the aircraft came from. Other options are what year it was built and then again there is the consideration on field repairs. What color did any give field depot have.... I mean there are so many variables. I think you could easily go with Bronze green and not be wrong. I had this conversation back when I started "Old 666" but have forgotten most of the info. I will look that up later on tonight if you can hold out for a few more hours.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:There are lots and lots of opinions about the interior colors. Sometimes the color depended on which factory the aircraft came from. Other options are what year it was built and then again there is the consideration on field repairs. What color did any give field depot have.... I mean there are so many variables. I think you could easily go with Bronze green and not be wrong. I had this conversation back when I started "Old 666" but have forgotten most of the info. I will look that up later on tonight if you can hold out for a few more hours.
Dirk,

I've finished for the night, so I can wait. I've just stuck the cockpit compartment together (without seats, IP, etc.) so I can easily get in there to paint.

regards,

Martin
DHDrover

Post by DHDrover »

No 100 Group B17s?

Dai To whom SWMBO has said "No more kits until ALL the part built ones are finished! :roll:
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Martin

Sorry for the delay in getting the info to you. I needed to check a few things, as I had a conflict of information. But, here's the basic detail at least for the B17 E interior finish.
Nose Compartment. Overall finish in Interior Green, with the walls and roof clad in smooth padded material, of a light olive or sage green color. This was only where 'flat' panels existed, not obstructed by equipment, switch boxes et. The switch panels, bomb control panel etc were semi matt black, and the lap belts on the two seats were a light silver grey, with dull bare metal buckles and fasteners. (Light grey will suffice for this scale).
Cockpit. Overall Interior Green, with black instrument panel and consoles etc. Control columns Interior green with Gloss Black yokes. Some padding as before, on the bare sidewalls in the pilot's positions, and around the roof windows. Oxygen bottles on rear sidewalls Yellow. Top turret frame and cradle Interior Green, ammo tanks mid grey or dark green.
Bomb Bay. Entire area Green Zinc Chromate. The frame work to the bulkheads could be Interior Green or bare metal.
Radio Room Entire compartment in Interior Green, with the same padding on bare areas of walls and roof, except the framed areas around the upper gun hatch, these in I.G. The radio tables were either black or mid grey, and the doors in the bulkheads were plain varnished plywood, with bare metel handles. Like the nose and cockpit, seat belts were silver grey etc. The seats in this compartment had a yellow back cushion, with the words 'US ARMY' in black at top centre. Radio equipment was predominantly black, with some of the smaller units in mid grey.
Waist/Rear Fuselage. This is the area I needed to check, as I have seen at least one photo, purporting to be a 'E', where the fuselage walls were apparently bare aluminium. Although it appears this was the case with some production batches, generally the 'E' was finished in Interior Green overall in this area.There was no wall padding. The flooring and trunking around the ball turret was plain varnished plywood, as were the walkways and gunners steps. Gun mounts were black or mid grey, and ammo boxes plywood, painted dark green or left varnished plywood. All switch boxes were semi matt black, and oxygen bottles yellow. The flexible chutes for the ammo were shiny bare metal (silver is close). The rear gun position was the same, with a Khaki (brown) seat cushion, although this can't even be seen in 1/48th scale, so no chance in 1/72nd!!
I don't think I've missed anything major, but if you need more detail, just shout and I'll see what I can do.

I'm pretty sure this should help you get reasonably close Martin. I will look some more for info on the G model
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Dirk, you are a gold mine of information!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Ian wrote:Dirk, you are a gold mine of information!
I love my Heavies ;-)
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Dirk,

Many thanks for posting. So, interior green (or bronze green) is not a bad choice.

regards,

Martin
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Hey all you B-17 fans. Here is a B-17 that would be fun and maddening all at the same time. Can anyone find a color photo of this bird?

.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

No - and believe me, I tried. This was going to be my build but as I couldn't find the colours I opted for Cow instead.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....

Return to “B17 Flying Fortress Group Build”