Re: Blitzbau XII -- Rules, Sign-up, and Chat

Post by jssel »

OK just one more. Catch the thread.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Just for a closing comment for myself, would like to say I had never in my wildest dreams thought I would blitz five kits! I have finished six this year in total. :grin:
I have enjoyed this Blitzbau enormously, despite my blitzbau sickness in the middle. So many great builds, participants and threads to follow and comment.
And it's not over yet!
There's gonna take a lot to top this blitz, if it's even possible. All depends how mad we get in August. :-D
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

Ian wrote:What's been there for a week? Your Arado? The one that needs finishing. It's 1:32, you know. It'll look lovely. You know you want to.....

http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6310;
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Now that's just showing off Flak :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Blame Ian.

I have to go out because it's Saturday night (somebody has to do it) but will be following all the goings on in here on some or other mobile device.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

How much longer is Blitzbau being extended for? I ask because depending on the close date, I might plan another.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Saxon wrote:How much longer is Blitzbau being extended for? I ask because depending on the close date, I might plan another.
Better get your skates on Saxon. It would appear that the finish is at 12 midnight Eastern Standard Time (whatever that works out at wherever you live) today.

IPMS#12300
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Things need to be wrapped up by 12 midnight; Zero four Zero Zero GMT.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Ok too late for me then, but that's ok. Will scope some kits for next Blitzbau.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

August. Add it to your diary now!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Well, folks, its a wrap. I will do some final tallies but I do believe all sorts of records were broken during this one. The envelope was certainly stretched.

On a personal note, this has been the best group build ever. Thank you to each and every one for participating. Great banter, great music (at least stuff I've never heard before) even though some would not play "overseas." Great way to get better aquainted. Wish I could bottle this and pass it out to my local band of pirates.

Serious business now. We have a participant missing in action. If anyone hears from Mighty Mike, please pass it along. As you know he vanished in the middle of his current blitz. I would very much like to move his name from the "Not yet returned" column to "Home".

I will leave this open for a couple of days and have John lock it down so make sure your glamour shots are taken and posted.

Cheers everyone.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It was a right laugh on so many levels. Great builds, banter and music - as good as it gets without actually meeting people (which is not always that good :grin: ). Just shows that with the right participants an internet forum can be just as much, if not more, fun than a "real world" modelling club - most of which would certainly struggle to match the international mix of modellers that we have on here.

IPMS#12300
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

This incredible silly season of modelling could, I'm quite sure, only happen on this forum. We're not exactly overrun by grim "serious" modellers here, and most of us still remember the child-like joy of getting home with a brand new kit, emptying the contents of the box onto a table and setting about it there and then. Not only do we remember it, we never really quite lost it, did we?

There can't be very much doubt that this has been, in terms of participation, the biggest and best Blitzbau ever. It's been fascinating to watch everybody who has taken part, and the models themselves get better and better. Some have been quite astonishing in their own right, to think they have been built in 24 hours boggles the mind. That some were even built whilst their makers listened to The Fall frankly beggars belief.

This is just the sort of childish, outrageous, lunatic fringe nonsense that made me decide to join UAMF all that time ago. Well done to everybody who has taken part, and thank you Jeff for being the perfect host.
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

Well.. what a month that was!

Here's the Gang all together for one last "Glamour" shot..

14 finishes and one DNF (on time) which averaged out at a model every 48 hours. Insane. Funnily enough, despite the haphazard "Good Enough For Well-Done" nature of the Blitz where personal satisfaction is more important than the actual quality of the finished model, I think my modelling skills have improved dramatically in this month: techniques and methods that ordinarily would take me ages had to be done under extreme time pressure: my execution of little jobs like canopy masking & painting, decalling, filling and weathering has become much better and faster, I have really learned how to plan the build order of a model and, above all, have acquired a heck of a lot more confidence.
This blitz saw me build my first three modern jets, my first ship in over 25 years, more than doubling my output of AFVs in that time period, completing my first 1/48, building my second and third titchy 1/144 monoplanes, my second-ever helicopter and attempting brand-new weathering and camo schemes. All with tons of encouragement and advice and no real fear of failure. Which was entirely due to the wonderful cast & crew who, whether pounding through their own blitzes or cheering from the sidelines, made this experience an utter pleasure from start to finish.
Due to the all-encompassing nature of a Blitz Build I was granted privileged (and occasionally slightly unsettling) peeks into everyone's day-to-day as real-life, jobs and other-halves all made cameo appearances in the individual build threads. The selections of booze, beans-on-toast and music all added to the fun.

So thanks, everyone who either looked in or got involved and thanks to Jeff and John for making it all happen.

August? Can't wait.
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28

Return to “Blitzbau XII, Feb 2013”