Beany's Avis kits 1/72 Condor Legion Henschel Hs.123-A1

The Spanish Civil War, from either side, any equipment, etc.
Runs February 2nd to March 2nd.
GB Leaders are: mightymikeD and lancfan.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Beany's Avis kits 1/72 Condor Legion Henschel Hs.123-A1

Post by beany »

Copied from the Chat thread:

AVIS 1/72 Henschel Hs123A-1 - nice looking little kit from this Ukrainian outfit that I know absolutely nothing about. A bit more detailed than the Airfix equivalent - 2 decals options for either Condor or Nazi schemes. No resin or extras provided, just a nice little printed acetate windscreen to cut out.

I have the Airfix version part started somewhere so if I can find it I may include a few comparison shots.
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Beany's Avis kits 1/72 Condor Legion Henschel Hs.123-A1

Post by lancfan »

Having just built the Airfix kit myself I will watch this one with interest.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

Will be watching..
beany

Post by beany »

I can't find my Airfix version of this kit so can't do any comparison shots. Here are the parts for this kit alone.

Like many Eastern European short run kits (this one says 1000 pieces on the front of the box) there are no locating pins, which is not a problem as I often remove them anyway. I have had to drill out and deepen some holes which were little more than indentations in the plastic.
The panel lines are very fine - I hope they won't get lost under the paint.

Interior detail is not to bad. The cockpit opening is quite small and even without a pilot I don't think you will be able to see much. There are paint call outs for some of the interior detail. Call outs are only given as Humbrol numbers, e.g. 25 (Matt Blue) for the bottles on the cockpit wall.

Research suggests this is a pre-WWII splinter camo scheme of RLM61/62/63 over 65 which my charts reveal as matched by Tamiya XF25 Light Sea Grey, XF65 Field Grey, and XF09 Hull Red which I don't have so will use lightened up XF79 Linoleum Deck Brown instead. I will probably add white to the others also for scale effect. Interior is RLM02 = XF22 RLM Grey. The underside will be XF23 Light Blue as a match for RLM65. Well done Mr.Tamiya - no colour mixing required (just a bit of lightening up with some white added).

Spraying started with the interior RLM02 which I also applied to the Heinkel He111-B Condor Legion machine I am also building. I have since found out (last night) that this actually wants to be RLM 63 overall on the outsides so I'll consider this a primer coat (at least the interior will be right).

Just before bed last night I decided to quickly sandwich the wheels inside their spats. Lesson - nothing is done quickly with a limited run kit. The wheels simply did not fit the hole, so I had to scrape out the inner wall of the spats and then still had to narrow down the wheels to make them fit. The wheels will obviously have to be glued into place now. The wheels did not have holes in them for the locating nub provided on one side of the spats, which got removed anyway. It sure makes you appreciate the rotating wheels on an Airfix kit - even one whose Hs.123 moulds must be well over 40 years old by now.
RLM 63 going on next as both camo and primer for the rest of the aircraft.

Cheers
Al.
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Post by mightymikeD »

Lesson - nothing is done quickly with a limited run kit
Word I may get inscribed on my mausoleum.. (which, knowing me, will be made out of low-quality grey styrene with flash round the edges and sink marks in inappropriate place.)

But that's all part of the fun, right? :-D
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
beany

Post by beany »

I haven't forgotten about this - I'll endeavour to blitz it and get it finished this weekend.
MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MDT »

Good luck Al! Interesting little kit.
mightymikeD

Post by mightymikeD »

Extension till the end of Monday, Al... which I'm sure is within the remit of a modeller of your skills! Hope to see this one done.. it looks great thus far.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Al, hope you can finish in time for the end.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
beany

Post by beany »

Sorry mate, not gonna happen in the allotted time I'm afraid. I'll have to face the fact that 4 weeks that this forum allows for GBs isn't enough for me. I'll take this one to my workbench thread and finish it over there. Congrats to those who did finish on time - the Spanish Civil War (aviation) is still one of my favourite subjects so I'll endeavour to get the Hobby Craft 1/48 Do.17 finished as well some time soon.
Cheers
Al.
mightymikeD

Post by mightymikeD »

No harm, no foul. Thanks for taking part, Al.. and I'll look forward to seeing this one all tricked-out when you do finish it.

Return to “Spanish Civil War GB”