With two BF109s built in the BF109 GB and on the shelf it is perhaps time to look at my third Lightning build, as I mentioned earlier this will be XA847, the first variant to reach mach 2 and was close to being a production Lightning F.1. The P.1b series were not built for service but for development and the series evolved with each aircraft carrying different equipment, some but not all carried armament and the engine changed from the Saphire to the Avon with associated changes to the intake ducting as the trials went on. The old tool Airfix Lightning F.1 I have chosen for this has a slightly more slender fuselage than the various new tool kits and shares the same wing that I used for my P.1a model and which I think will suit the conversion well, I will use a cloned resin cockpit tub taken from the same mould that I made for the P.1a along with a resin ejection seat moulded from a scratch built master and I will fit the spare black IP taken from the Sword Lightning F.3 kit waiting in the stash to be built for this SB at a later date.
The kit parts will need some modification to come close to modern standards and beginning with the wings the first step will be to deepen the wheel wells, the picture below shows before and after this has been done with the kit U/C attachment holes being left clear to maintain the correct sit of the aircraft on it's undercarriage. Below that is a shot of both wings having been milled out and assembled.