Civil engineering. The Airliner S/B

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
Gregers
Forum founder

Civil engineering. The Airliner S/B

Post by Gregers »

The Airliner S/B is at V1 and rotates on Saturday. Lets make it a very civil affair. My build is still TBD but will possibly be an Airfix 1/144.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Civil engineering. The Airliner S/B

Post by Gregers »

I have just been in the loft and dug out a few models. They are the Airfix Trident, BAC111 and Vanguard and a Revell Twin Otter. Asked wifey which she thought I should build. She liked the twin otter. And the Vanguard. I also have a DC9 to go at so that's the DC9 and twotter for me to go at with the Vanguard as a backup build.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

Not had a chance to do any model building today. I was sorting out my model shed so that it had a permanent electrical supply.
As mentioned in the GB/SB Chat area, I have decided to resurrect a long stalled Airfix Boeing 737 project. The plan is to finish it in the mid 1960s/early 1970s Aer Lingus scheme.

I started it a LONG time ago (2008) but it ended up on the shelf of doom (and eventually back in the loft).

Here's what I had done all those years ago -

The only further work I had done before putting it away was to spray on a primer coat of Halford's grey.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Progress report.

I've primed the airframe and primed the engine nacelles in gloss black ready for Valejo Aluminium. I really like these new Valejo acrylics as they seem to replicate the effects you can get with Alclad laquers without the smell and they are more robust when it comes to masking. Having said that, I only have two shades at the moment (Aluminium and Duraluminum) so I will be using Alclad to provide some tonal differences on the engines.

Aer Lingus' original fleet of 737s had early versions of the Pratt and Whitney JT8D which had blow in doors (a bit like a Harrier) around the circumference of the jet intake. Airfix had moulded them on as raised panel lines but these were removed in the sanding process. I will replicate the blow in doors using squares of metal shaded decal.

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Hi chaps. I just need a bit of clarification for Shared Builds - are part started kits permitted? I bought the Roden VC10 (BOAC) earlier this year and ripped straight into it but it then stalled. I just cut the parts from the runners and glued the wings together I think, no paint has been applied yet.
Let me know what you think (fingers crossed).
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Al. I think it's up to the S/B leader and seeing as that's me I say go for it. Who can resist a Vicky10. Looking forward to seeing it as I have the tanker version to go at.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

My 737 was started in 2008. Now that really IS a stalled build.
I'm going to be away over the next week so no further progress on the 737 is possible. However, I plan to start a Minicraft DC-4 as well so I may take that with me and crack on with the basic assembly whilst away.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Great progress so far. I have started the DC9. The wings are together, as is the fuselage with nose weight added (laege ball bearing and milliput). Waiting for the fusalage to dry. It was badly warped and was a pain to sort. Pics at the bottom.

All the best.

Greg
Attachments
20170520_155805.jpg
20170520_155805.jpg (112.63 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
20170520_164309.jpg
20170520_164309.jpg (99.41 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
Albert Einstein
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

737 and DC-9 - two great rivals.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Update - started work on the DC-4 and will post some pictures of what I have done to date tomorrow.
When on holiday, I found a Toymaster store in Bridport with a good selection of kits and kit accessories - so I picked me up the Airfix Vanguard and Comet. I started on the Comet as well.

My, the years have not been kind to those Comet moulds. I'm (literally) bashing and hacking it into shape and I'll post some progress shots on that too.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

As promised, here are some pictures of the DC-4 build.

First job was to add some weights to the nose. I've used some nuts to provide the weight and applied some PVA glue to keep them in place. The full size DC-4/C-54 had a tendency to sit on its tail so they often made use of a tai9l prop when parked or being loaded to prevent any embarrassing see-saw moments.

Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

That looks a sweet little kit. Watching with interest.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

And here's the Comet.

I had to spend a lot of time cleaning up and tidying the joins. This resulted in losing all of the raised panel line detail, which, to be honest, in 1/144 I don't think are that appropriate anyway. I spent a lot of time blending and filling the gaps around the flight deck transparencies using gap filing super glue. I will be using decals instead of glazing so damaging the clear cockpit windows during the sanding process was of no matter. It was more important that the nose was nice and smooth - especially on this aeroplane as the Comet was famous for its "non-stepped" and smooth nose.

The wing is a very simple affair consisting of just one upper half and one lower half. They went together fairly well but there was a bit of damage to one of the trailing edges which I fixed, again, using gap filling super glue.

Initially, when I test fitted the assembled wing to the underside of the fuselage, I found an enormous gap. However, careful tidying up of the join in the recess area in the lower fuselage where the wing is placed improved the fit no end. There was still a noticeable gap (although nothing like as bad as it could have been) to which I applied some Humbrol filler. Next stage was the sanding of the filler, blending the wing to fuselage join and applying some primer which I have now done..

I still haven't decided what scheme to do it in. The BEA Airtours scheme supplied in the kit is nice and I may try that. On the other hand, I also have a set of Liveries Unlimited BEA Red Square markings which I would also like to do - especially the earlier version with the polished metal lower fuselage.
I also have a set of 1950s BEA markings for the one and only Comet 3. The Comet 3 was shorter than the Comet 4B by 36 inches, which equates to only 6 mm in 1/144, so I wouldn't bother trying try to shorten the fuselage.

I'll see how the construction goes on before I make a final decision on what version to do.

Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

That is starting to look sweet. Looking forward to watching it progress.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

A nice canvas for whatever scheme you decide on.

Nigel

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”