Shelf Of Doom SB - ***Finished***

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Shelf Of Doom SB - ***Finished***

Post by IronMan129 »

Objective: Finish as many shelved projects as possible.
Rules:
1. The kit must be started.
2. The kit can be at any stage from just 2 bits glued in the cockpit to it needing the decals applying.
Time frame:
The SB will run from 1st June to the 1st October which is exactly 4 months.
fredk

Re: Shelf Of Doom SB *1st June - 1st September*

Post by fredk »

boys-a-dear, nowt for ages and so many interesting G/S builds all come along at once
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I will dig out my box of shame tonight when I get home. Plenty to work with there. :oops:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I have a few victims for this one so will gladly join in.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Is there any limit on how long a build has languished on the desk? I've got a couple waiting here that were started maybe just over a year ago. Fairly recent by some standards :)

Nigel
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Very likely I'll be taking part. Unfortunately I have lots to choose from :oops:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Time to stake my claim here :grin:

I'll start out by trying to get this one out of the way: http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14889;

If I find the time for any further SoD clearing, I may take votes on which of the many candidates to tackle, but this is a big model and taking up way too much space, so it needs to be first :roll:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Here is my list of possibles in no particular order:

I'm not saying that I will do all of these but will tackle one or two at a time and see where I get to. I will provide more details about each build as I get to it.
I just need to complete the Greek F-5 currently on my workbench then I'll get started.
Current Projects:
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

If no one objects, I´ll move my "started...ruddy well to be finished"-Caravelle to this shelf of doom SB?!
Or have there already been too many join-ins in this SB, for it still to be called a SB?
( I must admit I haven´t figured out the difference between a GB and a SB yet.... :roll: )
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Well, I'm off to a great start :evil:
Instead of getting to work on the horse, I got all obsessive about programming the 3D design for a pair of droptanks. One moment it's Sunday morning, the next it's Monday evening already. This does not bode well :roll:
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Hmm....hey Rob by any chance would that 3D modelling stuff accommodate things like canopies? Just asking ;).....
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:Hmm....hey Rob by any chance would that 3D modelling stuff accommodate things like canopies? Just asking ;).....
Not directly. 3D print media are many things, but transparent is not among them. One could design and print the canopy, take real good care of smoothing the print, and then use it as a master to make a mould for transparent PU resin. A very long production chain, and a lot of effort, but certainly possible.
I'd happy to give you some pointers if you want to get cracking with some 3D stuff (don't think I'll have the time, or for now skill, to help directly with this aspect), and would be happy to help with the casting part.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I have decided to start with the Tamiya Panzer II as it looks the closest to completion. Or rather it did at first glance. :???:

First off a bit of history about this bench queen. I think I picked it up sometime in the late eighties from my local toy shop come model supplier for the sum of £2.99.
Romer Parrish closed in 1995 so this is probably my oldest unfinished project.

This kit includes 4 infantry figures & tank commander but I will leave those for now and concentrate on the tank.
Also in the box was the piece of cotton-wool I used to make the 'Field applied' camo pattern as per the instructions.
As the main paint work is done it seems logical to start the detailed painting. That's easier said than done as I know nothing about Armour in general and even less about desert subjects. I am looking forward to learning though.

I decided to start with the road wheels which need a black trim, I'm guessing that is supposed to represent rubber?

And the spare at the front.

That looks like it should have some straps holding it down. I may add some details like that once the main painting is done.
More to follow. 8-)
Current Projects:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I finally made a start on the replacement windings on the rear legs. I think I'll end up with six or seven wraps around each leg, so this will take some doing..

Rather predictably, I once again ran afoul of one of the great mysteries on modelling: how to all those sticky materials know where they are supposed to stick? Clearly they know, since wherever it is, that's the one place they won't stick no matter what :evil: And vice-versa, of course..
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Another day, another winding. I switched to green stuff just to help see what I was doing, and will probably keep alternating colours.

I might actually be getting the hang of making these windings. By the time I finish the last one I'm ever likely to do, I should be good at it :roll:

I'll refrain from boring you with snaps after every iteration, so I'll probably fall silent on this subject until next week, if not longer (busy weekend coming up..).

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”