VTOL SB - ***Finished 10th December***

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: VTOL SB - 10th December 2017 - 10th December 2018

Post by IronMan129 »

That P.1127 is really coming along nicely!

Mark build what you like mate, as long as it fits the guide then its welcome here no matter how far along it is!

Although there's not as much of a since of humour here at the moment this is without a doubt still the friendliest and best forum on the net!

Ok so I have been.work I g on a Harrier but not the GR.7 at the moment, I've been struggling with the decision of moving my 2 Harriers(Heller T.4 and Italeri T.10) over from the other Shared Build that I started.

What do you guys think?
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

ShaunW wrote:Mark, I'm just having a laugh, we don't get a great deal of banter on here these days and I'm sorry if my brand of humour caused confusion. As Stuart has pointed out, build what you want to, not what the rabble of the forum might try to persuade you to :grin:

I've never built the Tamiya Sea Harrier and although it is an old kit it's Tamiya and therefore I would expect it to assemble reasonably well. I have built far more of Tamiya's military vehicle range than I have their aircraft but I did build one of their 1/48th Zeros a few years ago that dates from a similar period to the SHAR and I don't recall any problems with it. I have built the Airfix Puma and I and others I have subsequently seen build it, experienced a degree of difficulty in getting the glazing to fit - nothing insurmountable mind and nothing that would put me off building the kit again.
Hey Shaun, no problems at all. I enjoyed the to and fro of the posts above!. No confusion caused, maybe my end of things makes it look like I'm miffed but I'm not! :lol: . We're good!. As the GR.9 is on the bench I will start with that, then probably the Tamiya Sea Harrier. Maybe a helicopter next... I know- The Puma! :ha: :ha: :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I don't know if it's against the rules so this is me testing the rules.
This build is being posted in the Shelf of doom SB and as its a Harrier it just can't be left out of this SB.
More time has been spent on the T.10, I finished her paintwork and put a layer of Klear on:
The seam line on the bottom of the fuselage was left as I'm going to be adding a pylon and ordinance so there would be no point and there's a grove for it to settle into.(My way of hiding the fact I'm lazy.)
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Not much progress. I read somewhere the canopy is too wide and it's true. It's so wide it hangs out over each side of the fuselage. So it had to go. I am going to use the canopy of an old mould Airfix GR3 which had been earmarked for conversion to a trainer.

I got a bit carried away because when I opened the GR3 box to dig out the canopy, I couldn't resist getting out the razor saw and modelling knife and

These old Air Conversions parts are designed for the Frog/Hasegawa Harrier but the fit isn't bad. The white plastic is a bit soapy in texture. I'm wondering how well it will glue together. I don't currently plan building this anytime soon but who knows.

Off now to fettle the P1127 so the new canopy sits right.

David
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Guys, I am shutting down modelling now until first week of January as we have a lot of visitors over the next couple of weeks. I will still be logging in here from time to time.

David
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

No worries David!
Hope you and your family have a fantastic christmas together!
I'll be carrying on but I have no idea when my updates will be posted.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Interesting stuff, David and I look forward to seeing more of your work after the holiday period and talking of which, have a great Christmas and New Year.

That T.10 is really looking very good, Mav. The centreline pylon will cover that seam line I would imagine and I agree, if it's not going to be seen why bother spending time on it? Let's face it, sanding is not one of the more fun things about building a model :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks Shaun, makes me feel better about it!

The latest update on the T.10 is Ive fixed the painting error on the nose and finished the rest of the aircraft in Aggressor Grey, the tiny gear wells have been painted white, the gear has been painted and glued on and the flap decals on the top surface of the wing have been applied.

Next step for me is to paint the pylons and glue them on.

After that I wanna get the ordinance built and painted.

Also an update on the Airfix GR.7, The ordinance has been finished and their now ready for paint, I've been doing some dry fitting on the fuselage and its all looking good so if I get chance over Xmas ill throw myself in on getting it closed up.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I haven't even started yet..... :oops: :oops: :roll:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

:oops: Small amount of paint added but that's it
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Don't worry Lads, its a year long build so plenty of time :).

I have a few hours of spare time today before work so hoping to at least do something.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Just a quick update folks.

I decided to go with 20(R) Squadron as I haven't got a Harrier in that livery yet, I'm unsure about the overall finish of the model at the moment, as I paint more and more details onto her I feel a little better so I'm sure once all the decals, painted details and weathering aswell as antenna, engine nozzles and pylons with ordinance are on I'll feel happy but only time will tell.
I very nearly put her back onto the shelf of doom to sit for another year or so but my Mrs(SWMBO) talked me round despite not being keen on Harriers because I go on all the time about them!
Nose shot to show the Middlestone bumps on the nosecone.
With not having the glass part on the nosecone I've been toying with the idea of scratching a red cover like the one my Mrs bought me as a treat after finishing a difficult summer on the ramp:
Either that or I'll just use PVA instead but this with a ton of Remove Before Flight togs would be awesome and would test my skills as a modeler.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Although I've seen this on your WW thread and commented there, I think it is worthy of additional words here as it is looking very good, Adam. IMHO, the two-seat Harrier makes for a great model, I think the larger cockpit looks good and generally speaking I also like the two-seat versions of other single-seaters such as the F-15 and F-16.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

She's had her badges changed already!
I really wasn't feeling good about the others and there was a decal missing for the tail so instead I went for ZH656 in 3 Squadron colours.
By the looks of things I think 3 aquadron only had one Trainer as I can only find pics of her and she used to be in 20(R) Squadron so its quite fitting.
Heres the pics of the real aircraft carrying the white reg titles.
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Nice work Mav.
Those pics show a real problem in modelling. Different light on each side makes for a different colour on each side. Always a headache
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”