Airfix Spitfire PR XIX 1/72 -- AndrewR & Narayan

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Airfix Spitfire PR XIX 1/72 -- AndrewR & Narayan

Post by AndrewR »

So here we go with the first of the shared build threads on the forum. The subject in this case is the Airfix Spitfire PR XIX in 1/72 scale.

I will be your host Max Quardlepleen with the most, and Bruce (MerlinJones) will be the guest who's a... pretty fast builder. :-D

If anyone else would like to join in, please make an announcement in the Discussion thread. I usually take 3 weeks or so to finish one of these kits.

Start date is now 10th Sept. 2012
Up in the Great White North
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Airfix Spitfire PR XIX 1/72 Start Date: 4th Sept. 2012

Post by AndrewR »

Here are the bits and pieces I'll be using in my build:

The kit (obviously), the decals from the Freightdog "Post-war Spitfires" sheet, and a few resin spares from Pavla.
I need to use resin radiators under the wings, because I stole the injected ones from the kit to put on the Academy XIV model, which has strange trapezoidal cross-section radiators supplied. :shock:

The Freightdog decals look very nice, and I have two options, an overall PRU Blue one based at RAF Benson, and an overall "Highly Polished NMF" one. I haven't made a final decision yet, but I'm tending towards the PRU Blue, mostly for variety, as there is a very nice PR XI on the sheet two, finished in NMF and black.

I'm probably going for an in-flight model, so I may replace the Diddy-man pilot in the kit (he must be a jockey) with a proper scale one from the Revell RAF pilot set.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

That leaves me to do the boxart version then. I haven't looked at the kit since I bought it, quite a while back now. I remember it having reasonable reviews, but I'll want to have a gander before the Build.

Regards,
Bruce
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MerlinJones wrote:That leaves me to do the boxart version then. I haven't looked at the kit since I bought it, quite a while back now. I remember it having reasonable reviews, but I'll want to have a gander before the Build.

Regards,
Bruce
The wheel wells aren't boxed in and there is no detail in them, the pilot has shrunk in the wash, and the engraving is deep. That's why I'm doing mine in flight :) I seem to remember that the Swedish national markings aren't right too - it may be referenced on the IPMS Stockholm website.
There aren't any cameras behind the round window either. Big Ted and Humpty will have to scratch build them :-D

Cheers

Andrew
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Mine will also be in-flight. Can you see through the Round Window?
I've got decent Airfix pilots and some PJ Productions resin ones, so that's that issue sorted. I even have a proper Airfix stand for it and the Swedish decals are for the decal bank.
Sounds sorted...what can go wrong? ;-)

Regards,
Bruce.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MerlinJones wrote:Mine will also be in-flight. Can you see through the Round Window?
I've got decent Airfix pilots and some PJ Productions resin ones, so that's that issue sorted. I even have a proper Airfix stand for it and the Swedish decals are for the decal bank.
Sounds sorted...what can go wrong? ;-)

Regards,
Bruce.
The oval window is better :ha:

Probably not, unless you put a light in the fuselage. I'll check on it. I think at most, a little black box on a shelf should do it.

cheers

Andrew
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Ah pants!

I love this kit but I've only just seen this thread. I've built all four I had in my stash but I still have decals for other versions so would really like to join in this. Especially as I now have 2 weeks off! I have 5 days to hunt one down I guess!

‘I then realised my appearance was a bit odd. My right leg was no longer with me. It had caught somewhere in the top of the cockpit as I tried to leave my Spitfire.’
Group Captain Douglas Bader CBE DSO DFC

A:B
2012 09:02 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 182:48
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

That's a nice collection there Narayan. I did have two, but Graham built one. I think it's missing in action after a skirmish with some Imperial Tie fighters... :)

And I won't be starting mine until after 7 pm local time on the 4th, which would be on the 5th on your side of the pond. So that gives you an extra day to find one :)

Cheers

Andrew
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

You guys will not have any trouble with this kit. One of the best ever to had the pleasure to build.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

My LMS doesn't have one in stock so I've ordered one and I've been given an estimated delivery of 3rd - 4th September. So it will probably be here around September 10th. Hope that's not too late to join in.

‘I then realised my appearance was a bit odd. My right leg was no longer with me. It had caught somewhere in the top of the cockpit as I tried to leave my Spitfire.’
Group Captain Douglas Bader CBE DSO DFC

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Narayan wrote:Hope that's not too late to join in.
By the conditions of Shared Builds, no-one will be joining us after we start, so yes...it would be too late to join in. However, if Andrew wishes to delay the start, he has that option as Host. I'm easy.

Regards,
Bruce
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MerlinJones wrote:
Narayan wrote:Hope that's not too late to join in.
By the conditions of Shared Builds, no-one will be joining us after we start, so yes...it would be too late to join in. However, if Andrew wishes to delay the start, he has that option as Host. I'm easy.

Regards,
Bruce
We'll start when Narayan's kit arrives. The emphasis is on "Shared", so the more people sharing the better.

Cheers

Andrew
MerlinJones

Re: Airfix Spitfire PR XIX 1/72 Start Date: On hold

Post by MerlinJones »

Fine so far, as long as we don't then get someone asking for a delay and then someone else, etc.. ;-)
Actually, whilst 'shared' is an ideal, the real idea was to try and create some movement and progression of builds. Narayan has a kit on the way and that's good enough for me.

Regards,
Bruce
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MerlinJones wrote:Fine so far, as long as we don't then get someone asking for a delay and then someone else, etc.. ;-)
Actually, whilst 'shared' is an ideal, the real idea was to try and create some movement and progression of builds. Narayan has a kit on the way and that's good enough for me.

Regards,
Bruce
No, once the kit arrives, we'll start right away. Anyone else who wants to sign up will have to look lively.

cheers

Andrew
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

Sorry guys, I'm feeling bad now, like I'm turning up late at the party and making 11th hour changes. As I type Dean Martin is singing "ain't that a kick in the head" to me and I feel that's what I'm doing! I like this kit and it would be great to build alongside two builders I have the utmost respect for in their skills. However, please don't let me delay your kick off. My skills are far behind yours so I can watch and learn a thing or two.

He's experienced about as much pain and suffering as anyone I've encountered, give or take, and he still has Hell to look forward to.

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”