Airfix Spitfire PR XIX 1/72 -- AndrewR & Narayan

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
MerlinJones

Re: Airfix Spitfire PR XIX 1/72 Start Date: 10th Sept. 2012

Post by MerlinJones »

dusan wrote:I really like NMF one, Burma?
'Fraid not, I'm doing the RAF scheme in Malaya, which is the boxart scheme of H230 PRU Blue, with H165 grey uppers.

After a quick dry-fitting of fuselage, cockpit and canopy, I now know you can see naff all of the interior...and that's without the pilot in place. This is due to the thickness of the kit canopy.

Regards,
Bruce
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Jagewa wrote:220 plus views and no plastic has been bashed, you guys are big teases! :ha:
It's called increasing the dramatic tension Jim... The big build up leading to the, er, big build up. :mrgreen:

I have two options on my decal sheet , an overall PRU Blue one, or an NMF one:

Still undecided. I've had a run on NMF kits recently...

I just got home from work, but I still have a few things to do before I start, so it'll be a few hours before I report any progress.
Has Bruce finished yet? :ha:

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thank the Lord you've started, the tension was killing me! Come on Andrew catch up, Bruce has already built a squadron of these today together with a lodge of Beavers :ha:

I'd go for PRU Blue, it's a PR machine after all.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

During my recent house move I've temporarily lost my decals box which contains a few different PR XIX versions. I'll have to go with one of the two options Airfix give us so it will be the Swedish Air Force for me. Wheels up.

‘I then realised my appearance was a bit odd. My right leg was no longer with me. It had caught somewhere in the top of the cockpit as I tried to leave my Spitfire.’
Group Captain Douglas Bader CBE DSO DFC

A:B
2012 12:02 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 185:48
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Narayan wrote:During my recent house move I've temporarily lost my decals box which contains a few different PR XIX versions. I'll have to go with one of the two options Airfix give us so it will be the Swedish Air Force for me. Wheels up.
Nice choice. ;-)
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Surely, Narayan, you're a long way off painting the model, so you could find your missing decals before you need them. ;-)

The bits of plastic tube, stuck to the lenses, works fine.
The wing sub-assembly is now complete, bar pitot. Some nice detail within those radiators.

The prop sub-assembly is complete, bar the H165 tip. I was worrying about having to paint that, but there's a nice, scribed line, going around the spinner, so I'm expecting it'll be relatively easy to paint freehand.

Both fuselage insides and cockpit sub-assembly are painted.
:bounce: Don't forget to paint the back of the seat, as you can sort-of see it through the canopy.

:bounce: I've painted my seat a dark brown, (H160), colour, instead of the suggested H78. As far as I've gleaned, they were either bakelite or resin-infused sawdust!

The pilot has a coat of H94 RAF Blue...small chap, isn't he?

I'll lob up some pickies, in daylight, tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Bruce
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

Good tip on the seat, I'll bear that in mind tomorrow.

Speaking of the small pilot I think it's a bit unnecessary in this scale to have separate arms for him.

I had an issue with getting the right arm to fit properly. No way you'd notice when the canopy is on. In fact a person probably wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out.

For today's mission Sven has chosen an outfit in H86 Matt Light Olive.

I need to get a macro lens.

Next up I started work on his office.

Finally a good sprinkling of H78. Whilst Merlin pointed out the clear plastic is so thick you won't see this I'm laying it on anyway.

How did you find the parts coming away from the sprue Merlin? Some of the parts on my kit really didn't want to come away. Sven's body for a start.

That's all I have for tonight. US Open tennis final is on in the background so I'm going to watch that now.

PS. As for the decals, I think they're in my brother-in-laws attic. Not that easy to get at unfortunately. In hindsight (which is a wonderful thing) I wouldn't have put them there in the first place!

‘I then realised my appearance was a bit odd. My right leg was no longer with me. It had caught somewhere in the top of the cockpit as I tried to leave my Spitfire.’

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MerlinJones wrote:
:bounce: I've painted my seat a dark brown, (H160), colour, instead of the suggested H78. As far as I've gleaned, they were either bakelite or resin-infused sawdust!

The pilot has a coat of H94 RAF Blue...small chap, isn't he?

I'll lob up some pickies, in daylight, tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Bruce
The seat is a phenolic resin impregnated with sawdust or wood shavings. It's definitely not Bakelite, which is the stuff you make billiard balls from! :shock:
(the confusion arises from the fact that Bakelite is a chemically similar phenolic resin, but it has no filler in it)

The Hu160 is a very good match for some of the darker resins, They range from a translucent red brown to a dark brown leather colour. They're still in use for high voltage electrical purposes because they are excellent insulators which can be molded to shape.

The pilot is definitely of the Diddyman persuasion and will have to be replaced with someone a little less vertically challenged!

Cheers

Andrew
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Narayan wrote:How did you find the parts coming away from the sprue Merlin? Some of the parts on my kit really didn't want to come away. Sven's body for a start.
I have a good, sharp blade, which was necessary, with those rather large sprue gates.
The posable arms were, I believe, an attempt by the then 'new' tool manufacturer to show Hornby what they're capable of. The pilot is a modification of an old 70's model and, size-wise, matches those found in the old Gnat.

I did pose my pilots right arm, so he's now holding the stick.

Regards,
Bruce
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Finally, the host enters the build thread with something to report. :-D

Now my builds start quite slowly, as I like to prepare all the parts by washing them in soapy distilled water in an ultrasonic bath. The bath was very cheap, but it's really meant for cleaning glasses and jewellery, so it's not very large. That's okay for me, because I mostly build 1/72 single engined prop fighters and WW1 biplanes.

For this kit I have some resin bits and bobs from Pavla. The radiators will be replaced, as the kit ones are currently residing on an Academy Spitfire XiV. The new exhaust stubs are very, very nice, and look a lot better than the very spindly efforts in the kit. Some resin upgrades can be summed up with "What's the point?", but the exhaust stubs are a definite plus point. In addition, the Diddyman pilot will be replaced with one from the Monogram F-82 kit. At least it's a late 40's -early 50's vintage pilot figure. The monogram pilot gets one arm which is positionable.

I have to cut the sprues up to fit them inside the bath.

As you can see the bath is about the size of a pair of glasses. Funny that.

When it's on, you get a nice but weird purple light glowing and a gentle buzzing sound. Quite restful, actually.

After cleaning, the parts are dried on paper towels. I then did a bit of priming. I'm now using Vallejo acrylic primers, which come in a variety of colours. I'll be finishing the model with Vallejo Air and Model Colour paint, which is nice stuff, but is fragile if you don't prime first.

One advantage of the different colours is that you can mix and prime with a base coat close to the top coat. I've mixed a home brew British Interior Green Primer here from Bronze Green and Light Grey. The interior components have been painted this colour. The seat I think I'm going to leave as green. I've seen a photo on the web where the brown seat was overpainted with interior green. Besides, with Juan Armed-Bandit sitting in there, you won't see much!
I've also painted the wheel's up components with the dark grey primer, because it's a nice colour for tyre rubber, so I don't need to put a top coat on.

So that's it for the evening. I did do a bit of dry fitting, and the wings and fuselage seem to go together well. The big sprue gates were a bit of a nuisance to clean up, but no real disasters so far, he says, tempting fste. :ha:

cheers

Andrew (The host with the toast)

PS I forgot to mention, I found a Falcon canopy in the stash cupboard for this mark of Spitfire. :grin:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

[
ShaunW wrote:Thank the Lord you've started, the tension was killing me! Come on Andrew catch up, Bruce has already built a squadron of these today together with a lodge of Beavers :ha:

I'd go for PRU Blue, it's a PR machine after all.
You mean Bruce had help from the lodge of Beavers? :shock: I though he was building the kit on his own :ha:
I'll go with your advice for the PRU Blue, as I've got a silver Gladiator to do. It will make a change from the metallics...
Narayan wrote:
PS. As for the decals, I think they're in my brother-in-laws attic. Not that easy to get at unfortunately. In hindsight (which is a wonderful thing) I wouldn't have put them there in the first place!
If you want the alternate set on my Freightdog sheet, for the NMF jobby, I'd be happy to send them. :)

cheers

Andrew
Narayan

Post by Narayan »

AndrewR wrote:If you want the alternate set on my Freightdog sheet, for the NMF jobby, I'd be happy to send them. :)

cheers

Andrew
Thanks for the offer Andrew but I'll continue with the Swedish markings I think.

MerlinJones

Re: Airfix Spitfire PR XIX 1/72 Now building!

Post by MerlinJones »

I'd heard about the need for washing parts before use and, for a brief while, I did so.
Then I realised that, after handling the model during building, I'd applied all sorts of muck from my fingers. (This also followed one of our regular How To Wash Your Hands training sessions*).

I'll now wash a model, after building it.

Regards,
Bruce

* Don't laugh...you'd be surprised and the u/v gadget we get exposed to reminds us that you really do need to be trained how to thoroughly clean.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Bruce, I know what you mean as I am trained in clinical cleaning/decontamination.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MerlinJones wrote:I'd heard about the need for washing parts before use and, for a brief while, I did so.
Then I realised that, after handling the model during building, I'd applied all sorts of muck from my fingers. (This also followed one of our regular How To Wash Your Hands training sessions*).

I'll now wash a model, after building it.

Regards,
Bruce

* Don't laugh...you'd be surprised and the u/v gadget we get exposed to reminds us that you really do need to be trained how to thoroughly clean.
That's true, I also clean up again before putting the exterior primer on. The interior parts get primer on while clean and on the sprue. For "clean" lab work I would normally wear vinyl gloves, but I don't for modelling. It seems a bit... antiseptic! :)
Anyhow since I've started using this protocol I've had a much better standard of surface finish, so it seems to be useful.

Cheers

Andrew

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”