Airfix 1/72 DHC Chipmunk T.10 -- lancfan

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
MerlinJones

Re: Airfix 1/72 DHC Chipmunk T.10 - Building

Post by MerlinJones »

I remembered from my last build that there was some interference between fuselage and wing tabs.
To try and manage this, I ensured that the fuselage gaps were as large as possible, to accommodate the tabs;

I trimmed the rear of the wing piece and all went together most nicely. I've also added the modified nose and, thankfully, my work in thinning the rear of the cowling appears to have paid off;

Whilst the legs are nicely detailed, I added some brake lines, using wire. Wire was used, because it bends nicely.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The cockpit tub is taking shape, new seats have been made from scraps of dried Miliput and side detail is made from foil pressed into a suitable surface to represent the fuselage structure. The seats are not yet glued down as there is more detail to go inside and some painting to be done before that happens.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The cockpit has been completed, the fuselage buttoned up and the rest of the airframe assembled. The upper shot shows the complete airframe with the rear decking modified to fit the canopy in the open position. The kit includes a moulded step to fit the rather thick canopy, too thick in fact to allow it to be fitted open without some alteration to the fuselage, the lower picture shows the canopy dry-fitted in its correct position, the filler removing the recessed canopy seat whilst a filed reduction in width each side where the canopy fits the fuselage completes the illusion.

David.
David.

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Very good and, of course, you had no problems fitting your interior!

Regards,
Bruce
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The windscreen was next masked off and the framing painted to match the interior colour, although the full-size cockpit is black I used dark grey Revell 77 & 09 (in enamel because of the foil side details) to retain the contrast between the office and the exterior. The white bands have now been painted including the rudder, older pictures of WG486 (c.2003-?) in this scheme show the rudder to be white and not black as it was later. WK518, the companion to this aircraft is now finished in a period Silver/Dayglo colour scheme which will be the scheme in which I will eventually use for my model of it, the white rudder on WG486 effectively separates the two models in time.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The white bands were applied using four brushed coats of sparingly applied thinned paint, the black is here being put down in the same way with this, the first coat. All paints are acrylic, in this case Humbrol 33 & 34.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The second coat of black, less of a wash than the first coat but still nontheless a very thin coat, sparingly applied.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The colour dried very nicely after the second coat of black so I have simply given it a thin wash for a third and final coat to finish. The masking has been removed and the model will now be left alone to properly dry before masking the anti-glare panel on the nose and applying the gloss varnish for the decals.

David.
David.

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Looking good guys.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

There's some great modelling going on here!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The airframe is now basically painted and varnished, it just needs leaving for a little while to allow the varnish to properly harden and the decals can then go on.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I have begun to apply the decals starting with the roundels and fin flash, this was my one worry on this kit, some years ago I built one of the chipmunks from my Millenium set- what an awful mess, the white was so far off register that they were unusable and to add insult to injury the same white was so thin it turned grey when applied on the black of the aeroplane, the second kit was not built! but this model with its official Airfix decals is a totally different affair, the roundels are perfectly in register and the white is true and solid, brilliant. Well done airfix. When the roundels have dried off I will continue with the serials and stencils.

David.
David.

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Agreed on the decals, David...and many thanks for sending me your spare set.
Yours is looking the part. Tricky fella, Johnny Photo, but is that a bit of white 'leakage' under the rudder, or some glare on your nice, shiny finish?

After my last photo, a coat of Klear was applied and, after a tea of meatballs, pasta and a homemade sauce, the decals were applied.
All now finished and my camera batteries are charging for a full photo session tomorrow morning, pre-work.

Good call on the anthracite anti-glare panel, by the way. Looks way better than a simple matt coat.

Regards,
Bruce
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Bruce, the spot of white at the base of the rudder is actually white leakage and will need to be touched in. The anti glare panel IS the same matt black, it was simply masked off when I glossed the rest of the airframe, it does look different but the picture has exaggerated it somewhat. The decals are going on now and have discovered a mistake I have made- the wrong three panels have been painted white on one side and because the wing is now covered in decals I am forced to dig out my trusty rigger and correct this freehand. when this has been corrected I will finish the decals to complete the model. The pictures will be taken later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning so it looks like we will both post our finished models at about the same time.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The finished model painted as WG486 of the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight in the form this livery appeared in 2003.

So ends my first shared build, this has been a very enjoyable exercise without the timescale and the formality of a full-blown GB. Thanks for setting it up Bruce. On to the model, this is still a very buildable model and although it does suffer from an overly thick canopy by modern standards the office is very small and little or nothing would be seen through even a vac-formed lid, the cockpit detailing was fun but was only worthwhile with the open canopy, something I don't intend to do very often, most of the Chipmunks I will build in future will have the canopy firmly closed with the merest suggestion of the interior, there are a great many period and modern military and civil colour schemes for this aircraft and Airfix would be well advised to change the decal options bi-annually and also to include one each, civil and military on any future Chipmunk decal sheets. And yes I did forget to touch in the tyres and paint the exhaust before taking the pictures- both tasks have now been done.

David.
David.

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”