Re: Academy 1/72 Storch/Criquet - Building

Post by MerlinJones »

Trim not! Trim not! :shock:

PM sent ;-)
Nax
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Nax »

OK Bruce , I'm still here, I've been extra tired but now I have finished my shift and have done a little each night, but just haven't posted. So here's where I'm up to, got the spotlight and small inner aerial sorted out on the correct sides. Got the struts almost perfect but as you can see from the pic, the right one is bowed just a frag. Aaaaarrrrhhhh and the decals, what can I say :roll: any hint's, or scrub em off and put German decals on it ?

Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

The struts don't look so bad now, Steve. You do well to save the pitot until the last thing, as, being a sticky-out thing, it sticks out a lot. You could replace that missing aerial with a piece of stretched sprue, although fine strip is more representative of the real thing.

What did you do to the decals?!? :shock:

Here's what I did...

1 - One coat of Klear to the model and let it dry. (Any gloss finish should do).
2 - Decals applied, individually, onto wet Klear.

All decals settled, with no curling, although if they had, I would've probably applied more Klear. Prior to this, I was concerned as I remembered Academy decals to allegedly be on the thick and stiff side of stiff and thick.

3 - Touched up the edges of the rudder.
4 - Humbrol Mattcote applied.
5 - Nice cup of tea and a sit down.

Perhaps you could start with No.5 ;-)
Regards,
Bruce
Nax

Post by Nax »

I tried to speed up the process buy eliminating a procedure. Me, smart man here, thought he might be able to lay the decals on a wet patch of Mr softner TO dodge puting a gloss clear coat on. WRONG WRONG WRONG, any hint's?

PS I won't do that again.
Steve/Nax
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Assuming the decals are non-removeable, I'd flood their behinds with Klear.
Assuming you don't have such a product available, (and being aware of just how cheap the Academy kit is), I think I'd buy another to do in a German scheme and apply all of those lessons learned from this build. ;-)

Regards,
Bruce
Nax

Post by Nax »

I managed to remove the decals, they have left a carrier film ring on the wings and fuselage. I have found a set of Belgium decals that are a frag bigger so a Belgium Criquet here we come.
Got the legs and wheels all fitted up and it went together well. I'll gloss coat it tomorrow and then put the decals on.

I'm almost there.
1 - One coat of Klear to the model and let it dry. (Any gloss finish should do).

All decals settled, with no curling, although if they had, I would've probably applied more Klear. Prior to this, I was concerned as I remembered Academy decals to allegedly be on the thick and stiff side of stiff and thick.

Bruce I'm surprised you didn't have, 6 Open another kit ;-)
Steve/Nax
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Nax wrote:

Bruce I'm surprised you didn't have, 6 Open another kit ;-)
I was trying to be gentle. ;-)
Nax

Post by Nax »

OK I'm all done, with Belgium decals. Pretty happy overall, frustrated with the main struts (still not 100% to me) and the decals, partly my fault for not gloss coating first.After the window masks came off my predictions of fogging were correct and it looks like all of them not just the windscreen coped it.
Don't know if I want to do another shared build, with two boys under seven, and working 12 hours a day seven on seven off, I felt like I was under a bit of pressure to get it finished in the two week slot I allocated.
Why does my Tamiya clear coat wrinkle up on small parts of the paint work here and there? Am I putting it on to thick? is my surface contaminated?

Here she is.

Steve/Nax
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Good save with the Belgian scheme...looks convincing enough...and kudos for sticking with it, in spite of your difficulties. The finished model really does look good and, of course, that lovely base works its magic again.

I'm unfamiliar with Tamiya clear coats, but most fail to perform as they should if they are not mixed, stirred, shaken, stirred, mixed, etc., properly and if they are applied too thickly and/or allowed to pool. I'm guessing the Tamiya stuff is more readily available, your neck of the planet and, should you get the opportunity, the Humbrol Mattcote is recommended.

One point on your self-imposed deadline...self-imposed flexibility is important and I definitely got the impression you were rushing things at some stages. Sometimes, it's better to tidy things up and walk away from the model for a few days. When (and if) you come back to it, you have a different perspective. (See my Pegasus Albatros DVa build, for example).

As far as 'official' deadlines go, we're currently working on the 'one calendar month after the host completes' -target. I appreciate that I am not the slowest of builders and that my rate is determined by a host of factors, so a month longer, for others to complete a kit, seems a fair shot.

As far as lessons learned for myself, I'm thinking that a greater use of PM's might be useful. It can't be helpful when one modeller appears to breeze through stages another finds troublesome, especially under public gaze.

Thanks for joining me with this kit and I'd be happy to dance again in the future.

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

PS I'll keep this thread open until after the weekend, to allow any comments to be received.
Nax

Post by Nax »

It might have been the pooling effect, I did get some pools going from the rattle can, I should have decanted to the airbrush.
I'm happy with the out come, and was enjoying it more when it started to come together in the strut area. Call me mad but I do want to reduce my stash and the main reason I joined this build was to get a NON Airfix or Revell kit off the shelf. I only want Airfix or Revell in my stash, I like red and blue.

If you didn't mention the light and the aerial I would have been lazy and left them in the wrong spot so thanks for that. ;-)

I would probably do another "shared build" with a months time frame, that would make it less stressful for me.

Glad you like it. ;-)
Steve/Nax
did_nev
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by did_nev »

Haha great whiffery! But anyway, I know that the decals of Academy aren't the best to work with. I had the same with my example and after a lot off cursing my german decals were on. Now some years later they are starting to peel off... Bummer.

Anyway, well done!
2012 A:02 B:29 C:00

On the bench : Buccaneer // B-52D // 1/48 Lancaster
Coming up : Spitfire XIV (SKGB)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

did_nev wrote:Now some years later they are starting to peel off... Bummer.

Anyway, well done!
It's NOT whiffery...it's REAL! :ha:

I always try to remember to apply a final sealing-in coat of something, post-decalling. Stops the decals drying up and flaking off.

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”