Academy 1/72 Storch/Criquet -- Nax

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
MerlinJones

Re: Academy 1/72 Storch/Criquet - 28th October

Post by MerlinJones »

No worries, Cobber...as you Aussies apparently say. (I'm lovin' it that you say "Fair Dinkum"! Proper, that is, no matter what others might tell us).

Anyways, I was using my SMER as a test run and, as I said previous, I'm ready to go on the Academy whenever. Given that there's only thee and me, I'll alter the start date in our title to today.

We make it up as we go along, tying kangaroos down and all that.

Regards,
Bruce
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Academy 1/72 Storch/Criquet - 28th October

Post by VickersVandal »

Fair crack of the whip mate! Nobody says clobber anymore ay. We just say mate, mate.

The Storch is as ugly as a bag full of bumholes but these built threads are giving me the strange urge to go out and find one. Maybe I can find a Biggles story that features one and legitimise the stash expansion that way....
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
MerlinJones

Re: Academy 1/72 Storch/Criquet - 26th October

Post by MerlinJones »

Given the STOL performance of the thing, I'd be well surprised if Biggles never took advantage. ;-)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Having nearly completed my SMER Storch, I now know that any interior work isn't really worth the extra effort;

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5079;

However, I had a couple of PJ Productions Transport Aircrew sitting around, doing nothing, so I thought they'd add to my Criquet. I did an extensive dry-fit to make sure there was room and there is...just.;

As you can see, they don't so much as sit in it, as wear it! Widthwise, there's room because the canopy bulges outwards. Heightwise, there's room, because the Observer ducks his head!
You'll notice that the fuselage joins together on the upper surface...it does the same underneath;

This means that I won't lose the nice stitching detail, through sanding, which is nice. Note also the proper centreline brackets for the undercarriage.
Trying to refine the kit further, I replaced the tail struts with finer plastic rod and I now have that certain 'French feeling'...again! ;-)

Whilst waiting for my Serious Glue to set hard, I did some more kit refinement. Here are a couple of Before and Afters, for the interstruts and mass balances. Also, is a pic of the unpainted Criquet radial engine and the small side panel, attached to the door, to make one larger canopy piece.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

:bounce: Actually, gluing the two glass pieces together doesn't work. :bounce:
Fortunately, Serious Glue doesn't melt plastic and it was a simple matter to seperate the two.
The door piece needed a slight sanding to fit the door, but job was a good 'un.
The final rear piece was too long and I ended up slicing about 1mm off the back of it. Once I'd done that, the roof went on with no difficulty.
I've also made up the wings, adding all of the little bits and bobs, having done some more 'refinement'. The main struts were nice enough as is and certainly finer than the SMER/Heller ones.
Just for the heck of it, the engine is also now in place.
Nax

Post by Nax »

I knew you would catch up and overtake me, that's good I need to see the strut set up finished. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Nax wrote:...I need to see the strut set up finished. ;-)
http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5079&start=15; ;-)
Nax

Post by Nax »

I've got my windows in place, that was a bit hair raising for a while, I think I managed to get it all glued into place with Tamyia extra thin and superglue without getting any on the unpainted sections.

What colour are you doing the struts and legs? the separate sheet that comes with the kit calls for light blue, but the box art clearly shows the Criquet version with drab olive. The German version shows it with sky blue struts and legs?
I assume that you will use the hairy stick? I'm going to use the airbrush so it will be a bit trickier and longer to paint and mask depending on what colour is right? ;-)

My engine isn't together yet. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Good question re the blue.
If I was going Luftwaffe, I'm covered for RLM76.
My researches for the Light French Blue would have it of a mix of Humbrol 65 and Humbrol 64, about 50/50. I'm not keen on mixing, so continue to look around.

The blue we're looking for is FS25189, which roughly translates to BS81c 175.
http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=25189;
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Actually, H145 is calling me...
wbk666
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by wbk666 »

this is fascinating, im thinking of getting the academy storch myself.
2012 - A-133 B-55 C-1

Build What You Want, The Way You Want To, but above all, HAVE FUN!!!
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Nax wrote:I've got my windows in place, that was a bit hair raising for a while, I think I managed to get it all glued into place with Tamyia extra thin and superglue without getting any on the unpainted sections.
Clearly, gluing up all those large pieces of transparent plastic is going to cause some anxieties. Even though I'd Klear'd mine, I was too scared of fogging to use superglue.
A glue like my Bostik Serious Glue was ideal, as it gave me some leeway in re-adjusting the parts, giving me about 5 minutes manoeuvre-time and, having left it overnight, all was set hard. That said, if ever I needed to remove the parts and re-set, it's a straightforward task to pull the pieces apart and to remove the set glue. Knowing that such a 'Safety Net' is available, does wonders for one's confidence.

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

wbk666 wrote:this is fascinating, im thinking of getting the academy storch myself.
Whilst it is a nice kit, I'm now looking forward to doing my Airfix Storch.

Regards,
Bruce
wbk666
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by wbk666 »

MerlinJones wrote:
wbk666 wrote:this is fascinating, im thinking of getting the academy storch myself.
Whilst it is a nice kit, I'm now looking forward to doing my Airfix Storch.

Regards,
Bruce
If you had to pick just 1 in 1/72 scale which would you recommend?
2012 - A-133 B-55 C-1

Build What You Want, The Way You Want To, but above all, HAVE FUN!!!
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I can tell you when I've done the Airfix. So far, for ease of the build, the finesse of the parts and the fact that a nice French rotary engine is provided, I'm guessing the Academy will come out tops.

My blue is now resolved, having re-found the instruction sheet for the French livery...RLM76 it is. This makes sense, given that it's a 1947 machine. Probably ex-Luftwaffe, with an MS engine fitted. (German engines were in short supply at the time). OD was applied 'cos they had gallons of the studff.

Reagrds,
Bruce

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”