Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipe -- jRatz

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipe -- jRatz

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have found both kits, intact. Also found an Aeroclub Bentley that will look good in the Pegasus kit.
I have both Model Alliance "Wings of Silver" decal sets, and thus decals for two aircraft, one from 19 Sqn and the other from 32 Sqn, although I might do a PC-10 postwar to fit something in the 1919-1922 period before the fancy squadron markings in 1923.
Also dug out rigging & detail diagrams - I'll scan & post links to them later.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Re: Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipe - 11th November

Post by MerlinJones »

I have the Aircraft Profile on the Snipe and it has colour profiles of machines of the Great War and afterwards. I'll get them scanned tomorrow and posted up. I haven't yet looked at the kit options, although I expect them to be war machines.
Pugnacious looking, isn't it?

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

One thing I noted between the two -- the Snipe was "famous" for the MG receivers sticking into the cockpit.
The EE kit represents this well, I'm not sure my Pegasus Vickers blobs will ....
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by VickersVandal »

This kit was one of my most enjoyable and rewarding builds.

Bill Barker was an amazing pilot so it was no question for me regarding which scheme to do. Just be aware if you intend to do that you need to scratchbuild the correct tail fin.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I'm sure the kit comes with two fins...are both wrong?

Regards,
Bruce
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by VickersVandal »

Mine definitely only had one. Perhaps it's been updated/improved.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

VickersVandal wrote:This kit was one of my most enjoyable and rewarding builds.

Bill Barker was an amazing pilot so it was no question for me regarding which scheme to do. Just be aware if you intend to do that you need to scratchbuild the correct tail fin.
One of my neighbours is lobbying to get the road through the former Rockcliffe Air Base renamed after Bill Barker. He's not well remembered in his native Canada, much less so than his friend Billy Bishop.

Nice build by the way :)

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

The Eastern Express Snipe comes with only one tail fin, the later model not carried on Barker's Snipe: this can be swapped with the tail from the Salamander or scratch built
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

My EE kit has only one fin looks kinda like the Pegasus one ... without all the flash.

Here's a link to Snipe GA & Rigging Drawings in PDF form. I think the GA has stayed in 1/72 scale (double check) but the rigging one hasn't for some reason.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

bobblelink wrote:The Eastern Express Snipe comes with only one tail fin, the later model not carried on Barker's Snipe: this can be swapped with the tail from the Salamander or scratch built
And that's where I got fuddled...it is my Salamander that comes with the two fins! :oops:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipes: Postponed

Bruce,
It looks as if we will return home on Nov 21, however we are leaving again on 30 Nov for a 10-day "vacation".

I'd like to propose a restart sometime on/after 12 Dec, at your convenience. An alternative is that we start 24/25 Nov and then break 30 Nov until 12 Dec when I could restart. Your call.

I already have plans to take other models on vacation and would prefer to stick to those plans. There won't be that much build time anyway.

I'd also like to add a 3rd kit (another EE) to my build and do the Pegasus kit in a post-war PC-10 scheme and the two EE kits as Silver Wings.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

As everyone knows by now, John, I'm easy! ;-)
Whilst I accept Host responsibilities, I also acknowledge your busy diary and, as mine is less complex, I'd rather you re-set the dates as you'd prefer and I'll go along with you.

My last Snipe, a Pegasus, was of 17 Squadron;
http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4203;

I think I'll be going for the 'spare' Eastern Express decals for my next Pegasus and the WW1 scheme for the EE one.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Pressure. :frown:

I really want to get these moving for a couple reasons. Let's go for 24 Nov; that should let me get them all cut, cleaned and the small stuff done, even some assembly, before the 30th. I'll take something along with me and just muddle for that week .... Modeling time will depend on weather and wifey.

We'll keep the "formal" SB at one of each and my 2nd EE will just be an extra.

Acceptable ?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipes: 24th November

And off we go ....

Here's the two victims ...

The Eastern Express kit parts, which look quite nice, by the way.

The Pegasus kit parts - a bit flashy. The Vickers are blobs. I do not know if this should come with strut material, mine did not, but I have plenty.

The Pegasus instructions are minimal but usable. It ois a pleasure to go back to the days when 3/4 of the instructions were not silly legalese.

I have some aftermarket. An Aeroclub Bentley to replace the Pegasus kit one, and the Tom's Model Works 1/72 British WW1 Interior set. I keep a dozen or so of these sets around because they are inexpensive and handy.

And here's the "Silver Wings" scheme for two of my builds. I be using decals from the Model Alliance "Silver Wings" sets. Note the one on the right, with red/blue roundels, is a "night-fighter" scheme!

And here is a reference drawing in PDF format for the Snipe. Nice cockpit and rigging detail.

I have changed my goal a bit since this was proposed in that I will build 3 kits -- 2 EE and 1 Pegasus. Bruce built a Snipe earlier so he's one-up on me anyway. :grin: The two EE kits will be Silver Wings (above) and the Pegasus kit will be a post-war PC10/CDL bird. This allows me to cover the post-war Snipe and move on to other aircraft. The Snipe, the F.2b, and the DH.9A were 3 aircraft that served well after the Armistice, either as full aircraft, or as pieces - the 'Ninak' wing was used on many other "new" aircraft, for example.

So, off to the workbench, to start cutting parts off ....
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipes: 24th November

Post by PaulBradley »

I'll be watching this with interest, John and Bruce - the Snipe is one of my favourite early aircraft. I have the Blue Max 1/48 half-completed, and am eagerly awaiting the Wingnts 1/32 kit...
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”