Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipe -- jRatz

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipes: BUILDING

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

:evil: Unseasonal words :evil:

After a while I decided to try some Micro-Sol to get the decals to lay down better at the aileron gaps, then left them for a few hours. Upon return, 7 of the 8 roundels looked much better. However the red dot in the center of the left underside roundel had slid sideways, a lot, and is now firmly in the wrong place. I most have gotten too much Micro-Sol on it and left the plane leaning. I tried but it's not coming off neatly. Fortunately I have more than one sheet of the roundels and can fix it up when I get back.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Decals are like the Crying Angels from Dr Who, they move when you're not looking at them.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Having returned, I fixed the errant decal by applying a coat of white then new decals. I also mounted the engines on the silver birds and continued touching up the PC-10/CDL.

Next I got the engine on the other one, cowls on all, and masked/started the Battleship Grey or Polished Aluminum as appropriate.

Getting on 2nd coats, touching up, should happen tomorrow, then I can move on to decalling.

Not exciting, but progress ...
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Well, it's better than watching paint dry, John. Oh, wait.....

:ha:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

OK, I realize that my turtle pace isn't quite the way things ought to be, but it is what it is ....

Not that I've been idle.

Just imagine all the tape is off, which it is now. All 3 birds are painted. The PC-10 one has gained decals on the wings. All have a coat of Future along the fuselage and on the tail. Despite much searching, I could not come up with roundels with a white surround of the proper size in my decal stash, so I went with the EE Kit ones even thought I do not like the colors. I'm sure I can cobble up something about being old & faded warbird vs the pretty newly painted silver ones ....

Ready to start decaling tomorrow .... About time I got to making struts for the Pegasus bird ....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Here we are, all painted & decaled, and with a coat of semi-gloss on.

While the Model Alliance decals went on just fine -- came off sheet neatly, laid down with little fuss, followed contours just fine, etc, I did have a couple significant issues in that the squadron markings on the side of each aircraft are NOT as depicted in the profile artwork. You cannot see all of the problem because of camera angle but will later.

Both the front and back half of each are too short, with most of that being in the rear half. If I put the decal on such that the rear half touched the rudder post and I put the front half on such that it wrapped forward on the cowl there would be a huge gap where the roundel should go. So I adjusted as best I could by placing the back half forward about 3/32", fitting the roundel, then fitting the front half against the roundel -- all with about the right gap around. Even so the roundel is slightly further back on the fuselage than it should be. All this meant that I could not always make the nose decal get as far forward as it should, so I cut at the cowl line.

Disappointing, and I do not know why it is like that as the recommended kit is Toko and the EE kit is the Toko kit, so it all ought to work. Wonder if the 1/48 decals have same issue and I also wonder if I'll have same issue on other 72nd Silver Wings -- a bummer since the colorful markings are the reason to build these.

Admission, I do have extra decal sheets and could probably have whacked a 2nd set of markings up to patch these but I didn't know the problem existed until too late and didn't think about that as a solution at the time. I might go back and try that, althouhg the roundel placement still won't be right.

Oh well, struts are all made and painted. I just have to re-open the rigging and control cable holes and move on with erecting the struts, wings, and the rigging .... Now where are my 3 trained spiders ?
Last edited by JohnRatzenberger on January 14th, 2013, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct a dozen or so typos
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Nevertheless, John, those post-war schemes do add more than a just a certain something.
I've been loking forward to seeing these completed for a while now.
Slow and steady as she goes.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I regret that I find myself unable to give these 3 the time necessary, both as models and as part of the shared build process, and there is no sense in dragging things out. I have moved them to a thread in Aviation Modelling for when I can get back to them ....

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”