Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipe -- jRatz

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
MerlinJones

Re: Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipes: 24th November

Post by MerlinJones »

Finally, I get the computer away from the Missus!

Actually, can't blame Sweetness & Light...I've been helping to clean up a local hospice, flooded out Thursday night and evacuated, which was fun! Thanks to local tradesmen giving their time for free, all is done and well dusted.

Thanks to John for posting up the sprue shots. My last Snipe didn't come with appropriate materials for struttery and I think this kit was one of Pegasus' earlier offerings;

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4203;

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Now that I RE-read :oops: the Pegasus instructions, it says the kit does not come with strut stuff.

Interestingly, the EE kit comes with just one fold-over page of instructions which show the assembly and markings, but not all the paint equivalencies. Looking at my Toko release (same thing), I have two fold-over pages with all the paint equivalencies. The difference appears to be the Toko kit has 2 sets of markings and the EE kit only one -- welll, the decal shet has two but the instructions just one. Not that I really neded the paint equivalencies, but it's all so interesting ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I'm going to be using both sets of the EE/Toko decals on my two kits...and I intend to 'cheat', by filling up cockpits with pilots. ;-)

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Whilst cleaning parts & such today I thought about pilots and some kind of inverted tripod stand holding all 3 kits airborne. Probably not happen, but I did think about it. Right now my FTP site appears to be down, so no progress uploads for a while.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Ah, FTP is back ....

Here's the major pieces, all cut out but not otherwise prepped. By eyeball, the two kits are about same size, shape, etc. A difference in number of ribs in a couple places, fin & rudder I think. I do note both kits have the strut/gera mounts in about same place, etc. The pilot foot steps are a bit nicer in the EE kit. It's hard to tell but the Pegasus kit appears to have greater upper wing dihedral.

And here's the same pieces, all cleaned up. I've also put a base coat of Hu74 on the interior to simulate CDL.

The EE kits cleaned easily, although I noted a slight mold mismatch at the leading edge of the upper wing. The Pegasus kit took about as much time to clean as did both EE kits total. One issue was the big attachment points that required more care than actual effort. The plastic is soft and I found that whittling and scraping did better than sanding. The Pegasus kit says to sand each fuselage side to achieve a clean join. Having done that I taped the two halves and worked at fitting the top deck properly and then the cowling to that. I shouldn't have to do much cleaning when I actually put them together.

Next is some red dope on the interior, then some cockpit detailing. Might as well cut & clean the rest of the parts also.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

The Toko is definitely the finer kit, although there's a lot of commonality in parts, between this and the 1 1/2 Strutter i did recently. The guns on my last Pegasus were much, much better moulded than the ones with the one I have to play with now! I think I'll be scratching this time...and the Toko ones are so much nicer.
I'll be sticking pics up tomorrow.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Hmmmm, having seen your assembled EE cockpit & Vickers, I think a bit of work is necessary. The breech half is too long and the barrels extend a bit too far forward. I think a small chunk off the breech will address one part, and I think moving the barrels back closer to the coaming will resolve the other.

I repainted my interior a much nicer, lighter CDL (which I know is a complete conflict in terms). I thought again about some Evergreen cockpit structure and decided not. I've been out all morning on local/home projects and am going down to address populating the cockpit with something and buttoning them up. I am going to take a freshlook at the MG installation on both.

I beg to differ on the EE Bentley but that's for another day .... :)

I must remember that this is really the first "official" start of my Silver Wings project and the thrust of that project is the aircraft and their markings, not the internal details .... Try to focus, John ....
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

No argument from me re the Pegasus engine. There's a large boulder I often pass on my walks which, I'm sure, contains a beautiful figure of a naked nymph.
Said nymph will remain there, as I haven't the skill.
Ditto the Pegasus engine! ;-)

The guns are rather large, aren't they? :lol:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Yes, the guns are large and here's my fixes.

The black ink shows where I cut. The other is the result. I trimmed a bit off the end of the breeches, not much. I then relocated the guns toward the cockpit, maybe one+mm -- enough to get the front of the MG just at the cowl line. The EE guns have an exaggerated band at ech end - I sanded that smooth on the bottom at the front and almost completely off at the rear. I widened/deepened the troughs to get the gun to sit further down. I tried real hard not to break the l'il-bitty sight-post off each one.

I then tried to make the Pegasus look like the EE by opening up the troughs. I made two breeches from scrap as you did and my two barrels, also ala yours, are in-progress. I took a stab at an IP for the Pegasus kit by making one just like the EE IP, I'll trim to fit. I also decided that instead of Evergreen detailing, I'd just run some paint around the interior to give the illusion. I have the EE stick & rudder-bar in, I'll work on the rest tomorrow.

Despite my previous statement about focus, I just cannot help myself. Whatever plan I had for today went by the wayside the munute I picked up the deck & MGs and started to fiddle .... :-|
MerlinJones

Re: Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipe - 11th November

Post by MerlinJones »

bobblelink wrote:The Eastern Express Snipe comes with only one tail fin, the later model not carried on Barker's Snipe: this can be swapped with the tail from the Salamander or scratch built
Hah! THAT'S why I'd made a different tail and kept it handy! :lol:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I have been puttering away amidst other things and now we're about to leave on vacation until the 9th.

I ran some painted interior detail, then made it woody looking with clear orange. I have seats & such, but I'm going to move on from cockpit details. I must remember the purpose of my Silver Wings project. Anyway, engines, props, wheels, cowls all cleaned. The fuselage halves are together.

I'll be taking these along on vacation with the goal of getting the top decks, lower wings, stab and tail on nice and neatly. Then I can paint them, erect the struts and wings, and move on to rigging, etc ....

Yeah, I know, I could take a hairy stick & some paint pots but I'm only taking a few for detail work on another kit .... and SWMBO is nervous about that ...
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Looking very good there, John. Have a good trip!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Good progress John.
I'll be sticking my struts on today and then will break off until you return.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I'm afraid toi do struts until return -- too easy to break off in travel. The thought crossed my mind that I could do them then tape the upper wings in place and that might be strong enough. I'm just not sure I brought the plastic strips along to make the Pegasus struts.

Maybe I should go look for a hobby shop :-D
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Pegasus & Eastern Express Sopwith Snipes: BUILDING

I am back and ready, sort of. We had to go to the post and the grocers. Then SWMBO announced that, considering various things, in order to get Christmas cookies in the mail by Friday (no, to offspring, not you lot) we had to make them Wednesday and Thursday. By the time we were halfway through the grocers, she had decided we could start this afternoon. By the time we got home, and the groceries half put way, she had changed it to right now, so we spent the rest of the morning (plus) doing sugar cookies.

I am off to try to get something done, in a very few moments.

But first, what is your painting plan ? Are you finishing the painting before adding upper wings, or what ?

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”