FROG Barracuda - Martin R, Splash and Lancfan

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

FROG Barracuda - Martin R, Splash and Lancfan

Post by Martin R »

This build is scheduled to start in early June, so this is just a placeholder.

I got the aforementioned kit out of the loft today and had a look at it, wondering what I should do with it.

There's very little - and inaccurate cockpit detail, so something will have to be added there, remembering though that the extensive glazing is quite thick and heavily framed, so not much will be seen. The undernose air intake is a gaping hole, so that will need to be blanked off and the internal splitter added. Wheelwells (wing) probably require boxing in.

General shape: looks surprisingly good, although the spinner looks a bit short when comparing to photos, and the wing trailing edges could do with a good thinning. I'll leave it to David to discuss fuselage section shape and the like, but comparing the kit to plans, the only significant discrepancy I can see is that the fuselage is about 4mm too long. The fuselage (neglecting spinner) is getting on for 165mm long, so percentage wise, that's only ~2.5%, but the extra length is all aft of the canopy, which may make the whole thing look a bit 'off'. My feeling at the moment is is that's probably close enough for Government work; however, should I decide subsequently that I cannot live with it, then all I can think of is hacking off the fin and reattaching it further forwards, then reshaping the back end of the fuse. A 'cut and shut' is out as the rear fuse tapers down practically from the rear of the cockpit.

So, I'll mull a bit more over the next few days and try to develop a game plan.

regards,

Martin
novokits
Active Participant

Re: FROG Barracuda - Martin R and Lancfan

Post by novokits »

Really nice kit. MPM very approx FROG, just with recessed panel lines.
Some motivation to build http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/vie ... 36566.html;
Good Luck!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Hi Martin

Sign me up, I picked one up with that last batch of frog kits I won on eBay.

Having checked the back of the box I see it comes with 829 sqn markings, 829 sqn was my old Westland Wasp HAS1 Sqdn so its a no brainer for me.

I'm happy to start when you are.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Alan,

That's fine by me, as long as David is happy!

regards,

Martin
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Perfectly happy Martin, should be a good build for the three of us, another filled gap in the collection.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers Martin & David.

Glad to be aboard.

Regards Splash
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

So, I'm thinking . . . cut off the fin and reposition 3mm further forward, then shape rear fuselage to match. Remove some plastic over the wing upper leading edge to simulate the front 'quarterlights'. Change kit spinner for one from an Airfix Spitty MkIX (suitably blunted, of course). Reshape bottom edge of fuselage side undercarriage bay. Add lots of detail . . . .

Anyone know how I can make the wheels look more like - well - Barracuda wheels?

regards,

Martin

PS looking through my stahs, I find I have the Airwaves Barracuda photo etch set - unfortunately designed for the MPM kit, and a Falcon vac form canopy.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Martin, Splash, dug out my drawings and have found two good cutaways but have not yet really started to plan this one out, I am seriously considering building the Airborne Lifeboat trials machine otherwise it will be one of the standard kit decal choices.

David.
David.

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

David,

The only substantive piece of research material I have is the Warpaint volume for the Barra. There are some good close-ups.

Novokits' picture at least shows us what the wheels are meant to look like.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Is this what you wanted?

Regards Splash
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I haven't seen those views of the 'boat carrier before, the shots I found are different but I do have a plan of the boat which was specifically designed for shipboard use with the Barracuda and was not one of the two standard types.

David.
David.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The photo are taken out of the book "THE SECRET YEARS" flight testing at Boscombe Down 1938-1945 so it might have just been a trials setup

Regards Splash
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Yes Splash, it was just a test installation of a prototype Airborne Lifeboat that never made it to production.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Martin R wrote:Anyone know how I can make the wheels look more like - well - Barracuda wheels?
I am mulling over that problem myself, these are the sort of details that make any kit stand out and these original parts just do not make the grade, I have rummaged through my spare wheels jar and have found one, perfect, wheel- not a pair but just one, the hub detail is perfect to the pictures and the diameter matches the Frog originals. What it came off though will become one of life's great mysteries because I just cannot remember. However, all is not lost as I have also found another type of wheel, the hub detail is close enough not to matter but the diameter of the tyre is just a little small but may be large enough to be padded out with a few thick coats of paint, again I know not from where they came but this time time there is a pair- or to be more precise three pairs of the things!
THe Frog wheel is on the left and one of the forgotten strangers is on the right.

David.
David.

Martin R

Re: FROG Barracuda - Martin R, Splash and Lancfan

Post by Martin R »

Well done, you! I don't appear to have anything suitable in the spares box. I have asked the question on Britmodeller as to what other aircraft had the same wheels as the Barra. No definitive answer, yet.

One thought for you: could you bulk out the wheel diameter by adding some styrene strip to the outside diameter, then sanding?

For me, if I cannot find anything else, I may be able to use the kit bits but modify them by adding flattish hub plates. I have lots of pics of Barra IIs wearing these.

regards,

Martin

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”