FROG Barracuda - Martin R, Splash and Lancfan

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: FROG Barracuda - Martin R, Splash and Lancfan

Post by lancfan »

splash wrote:Good idea Martin.

Regards Splash
I agree this is a good idea splash. Martin, do you want me to pm the links to paste in to your post?
I usually size my pictures to 700 wide, do you want new images sized to a common width or would the existing ones do?

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

lancfan wrote:
splash wrote:Good idea Martin.

Regards Splash
I agree this is a good idea splash. Martin, do you want me to pm the links to paste in to your post?
I usually size my pictures to 700 wide, do you want new images sized to a common width or would the existing ones do?

David.
David,

I guess 700 is fine. I'll do my final glamour pics to the same size.

Progress: Having painted the exhaust stubs and dirtied up the undercarriage / wheel wells last night, I masked off the glazing and gave the thing a scoosh of satin varnish. I think it's gone on really well and I'm pleased with the somewhat patchy finish caused by the 'oil blob' treatment.

Unfortunately, one of the TAG's windows detached when I was taking the masking off! :cry: It's currently rattling about the interior of the cockpit. So, do I detach the canopy, given that it's been superglued on in places, to reattach the window, or do I live with the gaping hole? Answers on a postcard, please!

Still to do:

- Add ASV aerials,
- Add Pitot,
- Add etched torpedo crutches (or not . . . ),
- Do some exhaust staining,
- Add etched ice guards on the side intakes.

regards,

Martin
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

You could try and cover the hole with cling film stuck down with clear.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

splash wrote:You could try and cover the hole with cling film stuck down with clear.

Regards Splash
Thanks, Splash.

I am taking a day's flexitime today because I'm coughing over everyone at work. I did think of the cling film treatment, also using micro krystal klear, but in the end I sighed, bit the bullet and decided to remove the canopy. It took some getting off, and a little touching up of the camo round the canopy has been required, but I haven't made any huge porkers, so the Barra's still in the game.

Latest status:

Dried glue removed from the canopy and it's currently relaxing (with the TAG's window) in a bath of klear. I'll gird my loins and try to reseat the window this evening. Then I'll put the canopy back on, refill any gaps with PVA, and retouch.

While I have been going backwards with the glazing, I have also fitted and painted the Pitot and the etched ice guards over the cheek intakes.

I'll keep you posted on progress.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Still inching towards a finish on the Barra, I'm afraid. The canopy's back on, gaps PVA'd and painting touched up. It's not quite as good as new, but it's not bad.

So, remaining to do:

Scratchbuild radiator outlet door,
Add some exhaust staining,
Add torpedo crutches (maybe),
Add ASV aerials.

I hope to finish this during the weekend sometime hopefully (the earlier the better), then I'll start the thread in Aviation Modelling.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Martin R wrote:Still inching towards a finish on the Barra, I'm afraid. The canopy's back on, gaps PVA'd and painting touched up. It's not quite as good as new, but it's not bad.

So, remaining to do:

Scratchbuild radiator outlet door,
Add some exhaust staining,
Add torpedo crutches (maybe),
Add ASV aerials.

I hope to finish this during the weekend sometime hopefully (the earlier the better), then I'll start the thread in Aviation Modelling.

regards,

Martin
Having now finished off the above couple of 'bugbear' tasks, I'm hoping that after a little more attention from the hairy stick, I can call it done. Pics tonight if all goes to plan!

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Chaps,

A bit behind the drag curve, perhaps, but I'm calling that finished:

There were a few disasters to overcome on the way, but I'm pleased with the way it's come out - and after about 32 years I now have a FROG Barra in the cabinet.

David, Splash, thanks for building with me. I will now start a thread in Avation Modelling for SB awareness as discussed.

regards,

Martin

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”