FROG Barracuda - Martin R, Splash and Lancfan

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: FROG Barracuda - Martin R, Splash and Lancfan

Post by lancfan »

My kit was a bagged Frog kit,

As I am using the same drawings as Martin I will also shorten the tail and move the fin on my model. My fuselage was slightly warped and has been straightened by immersion in hot water and tweaking true, finally strapping both halves together with elastic bands and steeping in hot water once again, finally leaving the bound halves in the freezer for a short spell to fix the shape. There is quite a lot of room for interior detail and I will detail this area from photographs of the full-size and cutaways on the assumption that the latest sample of clear plastic I have found will mould successfully should I need to replace the kit canopies. My first step will be to cut away the fin and put it to one side for later and then clean up the interior for the detailing that is to follow.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The butchery has started, I have cut the wings and the parts of the wing that fold up.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Looking forward to seeing your progress guys, these already some great plastic bashing going on and its a pleasure to watch you guys at it that know what your doing...
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Sir T wrote:Looking forward to seeing your progress guys, these already some great plastic bashing going on and its a pleasure to watch you guys at it that know what your doing...
You must be talking about the other two as I have no idea what I'm doing. :-D

Regards Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Just a quick mock up to see what the wing fold will look like.

Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Alan,

Impressive start! That should look reet nice when it is finished. BTW, I know I'm going a bit JMN worrying about 3mm, but I'd like to see if it makes a difference to the 'look' of the finished article. I'm currently guessing the answer is "no!"

OK, I've finished re-angling the fuselage side gear wells and have coaxed in the Airwaves etched brass backs (meant for the MPM kit):

I've also done a bit of sanding on the Spitfire spinner and it currently looks like this. It's still a bit sharp, when comparing it to photos, but I like it. Whether I continue to add bluntness remains to be seen:

I've added the tailplanes to the fin:

And here is the first step to improving the gaping maw that is the lower nose air intake. A thin strip of Carlsberg beer can ("probably the best material from which to scratch-build Airfix Mosquito gear doors", as I stated elsewhere) has had a bit of bend induced in it by moulding round a suitable shape (hobby knife handle) then superglued to the top of the intake lip.

What I intend to do is to cantilever the vertical splitter from the beer can base and build up the duct walls around it. I have no idea whether this will work, so watch this space. The vertical splitter - which is far from a simple straight line - has been started by gluing 2 lengths of 20thou plastic strip together. This is very thick but should allow for robustness for future sanding / shaping. Given that the total height of the intake is only some 6mm, I have only glued ~3mm of strip together in the centre. I plan to add a shim at top between the unglued sections of strip, followed by filling and sanding, to give the flared shape evident at the top of the splitter. The bottom of the splitter separates into two, sandwiching some sort of matrix between the two halves, hence why this area is unglued at present. If it works, it'll be some sort of miracle, but if not, I'll have learnt how not to do it, at least.

If I can get that sorted, then that'll give me confidence in going forward with the kit, as the lack of any intake is a fatal flaw on this kit imho, standing out, as it does, like the proverbial. After that, though, I plan to open up the oil cooler outlet duct under the nose, and the recess on the underside between the fuselage side gear wells, as there is a rather nice etched plate that should fit in there. I'm afraid that only if I get that all done will I then consider what to do to the interior. Definitely something is needed, if only the decking between the crew positions, but I'm unsure how much will be seen at the end, even if I use a vacform canopy.

I'm not going to be doing something every night on this build; it's slowly slowly catchee monkey for me, I'm afraid.

regards,

Martin
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I've started to fill all the gaping holes in the wins with scrap plastic card. Once the glue has dried I will trim them and add some more.

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Alan,

Looking impressive! Folding a FROG Barra; that's going to stand out in your cabinet and anywhere else it is shown!

Taking tonight off, then away on business tomorrow, so more progress from me on Tuesday / Wednesday hopefully.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Here is a good link to an article from a pilot who talks about his time as a Barracuda pilot (with images) http://www.key.aero/view_article.asp?ID ... n=historic

Regards Splash
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Great link, Alan!

"Barracuda Pilot" by Dunstan Hadley is another good read; it tells of the author's experiences in training and as an operational Barra pilot; it echoes some of the points made in your link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barracuda-Pilot ... cuda+pilot

And at that price, it's probably worth a punt!

regards,

Martin
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It might just be me, but I'm finding the plastic slightly brittle. So watch out for any small parts they don’t like to be bent.

Regards Splash
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

So much for my OOB build!!!!!

The Barracuda had quite complex looking wing structures, so I have blanked off the holes in the wings, then as you can see cut out most of the blanks and added some frames. I think once painted it should look OK.

Regards Splash
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Looks fantastic!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Very impressive! :)

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A slip of the scalpel into my finger has stopped play for tonight, its only a really slight cut the size of a pin prick that's not a problem, the problem is the plaster I have covered the cut with keeps slipping on the plastic.

Regards Splash

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”