Airfix Harriers - jssel, AndrewR, fredk, Maverick321, Sir T

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Airfix Harriers - jssel, AndrewR, fredk, Maverick321, Si

Post by Stuart »

Great work guys - Jeff your steaming ahead!

So far I've painted up the intake trunking and painted the cockpit.

Here it is, I'm going to see if the pilot fits, if not I'll use some pe belts from a spare hawk set

Hopefully I'll stick something together tomorrow

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Some great Harrier building going on here boys. I see that Stuart's is a new tool kit and very nice it is too - is Jeff's as well? that box is fair brimming with parts.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Yeah, mine is the new tool also. Looking in the box is pretty intimidating . But it really is a wonderful build. No new update today as I am on an overnight road trip. But I do have the Airfix Converting Bomber book that came in today's mail.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

After a couple of days away from the bench, I finally get to do a bit more work on the Harriers:

Orange pilot has had a wash, and is ready to go on the seat. The resin seat has had cushions and belts painted in two shades of green.

I can't put the cockpit together until I can get the IP decals on. After that I can put the stick in, complete the tub and tuck it into the fuselage.

I've already mounted the front undercarriage box and the fan. I have no intention of bothering with swiveling nozzles ( :omg ) or tailplanes, so the plan is to button up the fuselage on both Harriers as soon as the cockpits are in place

Then the tail planes, a few pylons and external details need to go on, and we'll be ready for paint.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I managed to get the decals on the instrument panels just after lunch, and miraculously had some extra time in the evening, so I've managed to get both sets of fuselages assembled, and the wings and tailplanes on one of them.

The only real issue was the position of the cockpit tub in the fuselage. Eventually I found that putting the tub in, gluing the fuselage halves together, and quickly wiggling the tub around until it slotted into place was the easiest way to fix it. Not the best engineering in the world there. :roll:
The wings went on pretty easily, as long as all traces of the sprue attachment points are removed. Using gel CA helped fill the seams nicely. The starboard lower wing section needed a little thinning down to fit flush with the upper wing assembly.
A bit of filler will be needed for the fuselage joint, but not much :grin:

You can see that the canopies are very thick!

The kit goes together pretty well, with a minor amount of fettling.

And it looks like a Harrier to me!

cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Yesterday I forgot to put the rear undercarriage bay floor in before I closed up the fuselage. :roll: With a Harrier, it's not so bad, as they are usually parked with the doors up. I did have to spend a while trying to figure out how to get the doors on with nothing to support them! A bodge job with a few bits of plastic card glued inside seems to have done the trick on the first Harrier.

I will repeat this on #2 today.

The jet intakes are in place on one aircraft - a not very clever bit of moulding by Airfix, so the vents don't look at all realistic either as closed or open vents! I'm going to ignore that, and just use a wash to slightly emphasize them.

Anyhow, things are moving along reasonably well. There's a bit of filler under the LEX on the port side, and a bit on the top, but much less than the gobs of the stuff I've been using on my builds recently. :party

cheers

Andrew
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Little progress right now. May be going to Colorado for the flooding. Another update tomorrow evening. I did get the intakes installed.

Nice progress all.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Harrier #1 is almost ready for a coat of primer. Harrier #2 needs the jet intakes on first. :)

The mods to #2 on the underside went much more quickly than on #1 - a definite advantage of doing two identical kits at once.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Nice work andrew - they're looking great. And without tons of filler!

Not a lot of movement from me, bit of a 'real life' week! Hope to pick it up tomorrow though

Regards

Stuart

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Sir T wrote:Nice work andrew - they're looking great. And without tons of filler!

Not a lot of movement from me, bit of a 'real life' week! Hope to pick it up tomorrow though

Regards

Stuart
#2 now has more filler on it - the intakes didn't fit as nicely on the fuselage, in fact they seemed to be much more poorly moulded. :roll:

I have a busy week next week, so I'm trying to get time consuming tasks done over the weekend.

Cheers

Andrew
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

AndrewR wrote:
Sir T wrote:Nice work andrew - they're looking great. And without tons of filler!

Regards

Stuart
#2 now has more filler on it - the intakes didn't fit as nicely on the fuselage, in fact they seemed to be much more poorly moulded. :roll:

I have a busy week next week, so I'm trying to get time consuming tasks done over the weekend.

Cheers

Andrew
I've just had one of those, a week of Quality Conferences and cookery demos... not very much time for modelling.

Regards

Stuart

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Made a bit of progress this morning, assembled and painted the intakes and nose u/c bay and gave it a wash with Humbrols new washes. They seem to be ok.

I've also painted the compressor blades, so hopefully just add some belts and I can close up the fuselage

Pics to follow

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice work Andrew a lovely pair if I may say so. Very little filler required as well, which is a good thing. That leaves more to continue with your FW189 :-D
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

To show my commitment to this and that I haven't forgotten about it; here are some photos of the intended victim kit. An Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR5.
No box; obviously I bought this secondhand, but why its unboxed I cant answer;
the sprues/frames;

The instruction sheet is torn down one edge, so it must have been part of a bigger set;

I'm overly busy this week so I hope to get this started during the week beginning 22nd.
I'll be building this about 99% oob.
On parts count this beats the Bobcat Harrier T2 I'm finishing off, its got only about 20 parts :shock:
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote:Nice work Andrew a lovely pair if I may say so. Very little filler required as well, which is a good thing. That leaves more to continue with your FW189 :-D
I was a little premature on announcing a lack of putty. :omg The intakes, front of the LEX and the nose are going to need some work to integrate them into the fuselage. :roll:

The rest of it is not too bad. I have given #1 a complete shot of primer and filled in some obvious defects.

#2 has had some primer on the front end, and needs the filler too.

Cheers

Andrew

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”