Frog/Revell 1/72 scale Heinkel He 111 - Lancfan & Splash

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Frog/Revell 1/72 scale Heinkel He 111 - Lancfan & Splash

Post by splash »

that's looking smooth.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I agree, that is a very smooth looking finish David.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Cheers Alan, Shaun it's just a simple hairy stick paint job using Revell acrylics but masked as if it was to be sprayed.
The decals are on, the matt varnish is down. The next job is to clean up the canopy framing and fit the last parts to complete the model over the weekend.

David
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Its hard to believe looking at the canopy and the quality of the build that it's the old Frog kit.

The speed of your build has put me to shame, so I must get some bench time, it looks like its one of those kits that just flies together at the end.

I have finally found out what the strange markings I was talking about are, it belongs to the Hungarian Airforce.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Very nice David, it might be a "simple hairy stick paint job" but it looks the business 8-)

IPMS#12300
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

splash wrote:Its hard to believe looking at the canopy and the quality of the build that it's the old Frog kit.

The speed of your build has put me to shame, so I must get some bench time, it looks like its one of those kits that just flies together at the end.

I have finally found out what the strange markings I was talking about are, it belongs to the Hungarian Airforce.

It is a rather good kit, It isn't a race Alan, we finish when we finish I have had plenty of bench time lately so things have moved along. Like the Hungarian markings they should look very good.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

lancfan wrote:
splash wrote:Its hard to believe looking at the canopy and the quality of the build that it's the old Frog kit.
It is a rather good kit and It isn't a race Alan, we finish when we finish, I have had plenty of bench time lately so things have moved along. I Like the Hungarian markings they should look very good.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The canopy hatches have been cut and shaped from sections of spare canopies and have been fitted to the fuselage and cockpit canopy, this image shows the roof hatch being marked out from a spare old tool Airfix Lancaster canopy.

The open canopy/roof hatches are here in place and painted, I don't know if anyone has ever done this work before but this modification is something I have wanted to try for some time and it seems to have worked quite well.

The kit undercarriage is a little too long but conveniently the modifications were published in an old issue of Aviation News and these instructions were followed to improve the sit of the model, the wheels have also been flattened slightly to represent the weight of the aircraft. The model is here sitting on its improved undercarriage for the first time.

With the last parts fitted and painted, the aerial wire added and discrete weathering done the model is now finished and I have enjoyed the task enormously. Considering the age of the moulds I think this model is terrific and a proud testament to the quality of Frog kits, Indeed after building this model I fancy sourcing another one at some point to make a matching CASA 3/111.

My rendition of Heinkel He 111 H-3, "A1+DA" of Stab/KG 53 based at Lille Air Base, France in the summer of 1940. Modelled at rest with the cockpit hatches open to let the summer heat escape.

David.
David.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Excellent work David, the extra work in the cockpit and opening the hatches has made a big difference, I'm still making progress with mine, the two body sides have been joined and one of the wings have been sanded down to remove the panel lines, once the other wing has been sanded I will assemble the main components' ready for paint.

I really like the look of the colours you have used they suit the a/c, but to give the shared Build some variation I will try and copy the Hungarian markings and add a splash of colour.

I full agree with you about this kit, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality/fit and in particular the clearness of the transparencies.

My progress will be slow but this is a kit I fully intend to finish.

Regards Splash
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

A really excellent build and paint job.

rich.
Rich.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Cheers Alan, Rich.
Alan, I'm loking forward to seeing the Hungarian markings they should look quite different, the Black green/dark green/light blue scheme does look good and seems to be the one preferred by most manufacturers but it is a shame the other alternatives are ignored.

David.
David.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Very nice David, it goes to show that there's plenty of life in these old kits yet!

IPMS#12300
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Great work going on here guys. Outstanding work on that canopy David. I ask this next question because I have no clue. What is the best kit of this plane in 1/72?
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Hi Dirk

I have heard good reviews about Revells latest issue of their He111, I understand it's a re-box issue of the Hasegawa kit at a good price.

As you can see from the photo I'm making progress, all the wings are fitted, so once the
canopy is fitted I can get some primer on.

Regards Splash
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The Heinkel is coming along very well Splash as indeed are your other two builds in shot there, both of which I have seen gracing other areas of the forum.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”