Previously launched spacecraft

A belated tribute to Neil Armstrong and a celebration of manned spaceflight.
Runs March 1st to 31st.
Mission Control is shared by Ian and lancfan.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Previously launched spacecraft

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Here post 1-2 images of previous builds of Apollo space vehicles, not just Appollo 11.
You do not have to be a member of this GB to do so.

If your model has a build thread on UAMF (old or new), then please include the link.
MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Previously launched spacecraft

Post by MDT »

I know this isn't just a spacecraft but it is Apollo 11 related!
Airfix SH-3D Apollo 11 recovery for SMW 2011 http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=315
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by carlos »

Revell 1/48 Eagle Lander - This was about the 3rd or 4th kit I built when I got back into modelling a few years back.

Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Some Apollo related builds from last year -

Sailorman
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Sailorman »

Heller 1:96 CSM model is now some 30 years old. I had applied varnish over the silver paint and sadly this has now yellowed with age.......

Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

The Heller kit is technically 1/100 rather than 1/96 - although the actual difference in those scales are probably too small to notice.
Sailorman
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Sailorman »

The Heller kit is technically 1/100 rather than 1/96 - although the actual difference in those scales are probably too small to notice

That's what they say ... but I have the 1:96 Revell model and the breakdown of parts is identical to the Heller one. Does anyone know if they are one and the same kit?

As you say there is not much in it for small objects. An object 1 metre long in real life would be 10.4 mm at 1:96 or 10mm long at 1:100. On a Saturn V however the difference would be significant.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Sailorman wrote:The Heller kit is technically 1/100 rather than 1/96 - although the actual difference in those scales are probably too small to notice

That's what they say ... but I have the 1:96 Revell model and the breakdown of parts is identical to the Heller one. Does anyone know if they are one and the same kit?

As you say there is not much in it for small objects. An object 1 metre long in real life would be 10.4 mm at 1:96 or 10mm long at 1:100. On a Saturn V however the difference would be significant.
Which Revell kit do you REALLY have. Have you got a photo of the box or instructions?

I've seen a comparative shot of the two sets of sprues from the Heller 1/100 and the Revell 1/96 kits and they are laid out quite differently.
Sailorman
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Sailorman »

Eric,

The Revell kit is now spares in my spares box. I had orignially built it back in 1971. Hence I can't compare the layout on the sprue. The parts however look identical to the Heller one.

If you have compared sprues and know they are not the same then I'll take your word for it.

Patrick
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

It was being discussed somewhere else on the interweb a few months ago and someone posted up some comparative pictures.
I've never built the original 1/96 Revell kit - only the Heller kit (as a Heller issue - around 1979) and, more recently, the Heller kit again in its current Revell issue.

Return to “Apollo 11 GB”