Karl's 1/100 Eagle and CSM en route ***Done***

A belated tribute to Neil Armstrong and a celebration of manned spaceflight.
Runs March 1st to 31st.
Mission Control is shared by Ian and lancfan.
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Karl's 1/100 Eagle and CSM en route ***Done***

Post by carlos »

I initially thought I might have to give this GB a miss, after running out of time in the last two I've started, due to getting waylaid by life in general...
Got the workbench cleared yesterday though, just in time for the start.

So - Revell's 1/100 Eagle lander, and Command/Service Module.
Two separate kits, but I'll be folding up the eagle's legs, and building them connected together, in flight - and will probably hang the finished model above a 1/48th Lander I built a few years ago, when I was first getting into modelling.

Boxart

Eagle LEM parts

CSM parts

They're fairly basic kits, but after running out of time in a couple of previous GBs, I'll be building straight OOB, rather than tempt another late finish

Previously-built Revell 1/48 Eagle Lander
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: Karl's 1/100 Eagle and CSM in flight

Post by Ian »

Welcome aboard, Carlos!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Carlos, an inflight dio excellent!

Cheers
Jim
carlos

Post by carlos »

Nothing much to report as yet - The major sub-assemblies are mostly together, nothing out of the ordinary, just glueing halves together. Though I've put a quick slap of paint on the interiors, nothing intricate because the windows are tiny.
There aren't any transparencies in either kit, so I'll just be making windows using PVa glue, left to dry clear.
The front and rear halves of the ascent stage were a very poor fit, and needed a LOT of sanding to smooth over the seams.
Oh, also need to get some silver-paper to cover the descent stage - might have to buy a bag of sweets with suitable wrappers (Oh the hardship - LOL)

First job tomorrow though... is to clean out an old Humbrol tinlet for mixing the very pale greenish-grey for the ascent module.
I did a home-brew mix for the 48th scale 'Eagle' I built a coupla yrs ago, but that went on a little TOO green (Pic in first post) - need to be more subtle with this mix.
IIRC. last time I used Hu147 with a little Hu120, lightened with a bit of white - Wish I could remember the mix, that would make this one a bit easier to judge - less green required this time.

You can't see too well in the picture, but that glass with white-spirit in it, has a name and date engraved on it.
It has my great-great grandfather's name on it, and the year 1898 - AFAIK it was given to him by my grt-grt grandmother
I acquired it after my grandfather died (30+yrs ago) - He used it for holding water/white spirit for cleaning paintbrushes, and I used it for the same thing in my late teens.... and again these last coupla yrs.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

What a wonderful family heirloom that glass is!

Years ago, I built a Revell CSM and lander in this scale but they were packaged in one and designed to dock together without cement so you could detach them. It also had a stand with a moonscape base. I wonder if these are the same moulds modified?

David
carlos

Post by carlos »

dwomby wrote:What a wonderful family heirloom that glass is!

Years ago, I built a Revell CSM and lander in this scale but they were packaged in one and designed to dock together without cement so you could detach them. It also had a stand with a moonscape base. I wonder if these are the same moulds modified?

David
I wouldn't be at all surprised - the poor fit of the ascent stage is certainly consistent with an old, well-used mould.

And yeah, using the glass for arty brushes is becoming a bit of a family tradition - LOL
Arty-crafty... ness does run in the family (among the males, anyway)
My grandad painted water-colours (among lots of other craft stuff) - an uncle used to paint graphics on motorbikes - one of his sons is a tattooist - and I've been a sketcher all my life, and model-maker for a spell in my teens, as well as now.
So maybe my grandson will grow up to do something where he might have a use for it :mrgreen:
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

carlos wrote:
dwomby wrote:What a wonderful family heirloom that glass is!

David
I wouldn't be at all surprised - the poor fit of the ascent stage is certainly consistent with an old, well-used mould.
It's almost definitely NOT the original Revell kit.

As we all know, Revell produced - and still release from time to time - a 1/96 Saturn V. The Command/Service Module and Lunar Module from the Saturn V have both been released separately on occasions which is more than likely where the memory of separate 1/96 Revell Apollo CSMs and LMs arise.

In the late 60s/early 70s Heller produced a 1/100 scale CSM and LM - usually kitted separately. I am pretty sure that the current 1/100 Revell kits are the Heller kits reboxed and NOT releases of their own old 1/96 kits.

I built the Heller CSM and LM back around 1979 and they both survive (in fairly battered condition). I built the Revell 1/100 CSM again only a few months ago and it is absolutely identical - right down to the individual panel lines and errors to that old Heller kit.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Have you made any progress, Karl?
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

How are you getting along with this Karl, it will look great as an in flight combo.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
carlos

Post by carlos »

A bit of a stall there - Had a deadline to meet, regarding another hobby....
But I've mixed the paint I was talking about earlier, and have acquired a few sweet wrappers to cover the landing stage (cadged from my wife's Mother's Day choccies :mrgreen: )
Should be back on track in a day or two...
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Good man!
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Any nearer Karl? life getting in the way?

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
carlos

Post by carlos »

Sorry for the lack of updates fellas, things have been progressing, albeit quite slowly...

CSM has it's silver coat on, white next - Landing stage of the LEM, and it's legs, are now covered with foil, and the ascent stage has it's grey/green coat on.
I'll make a concerted effort to get some pics up tomorrow.

I've found out today that I'm gonna have the whole weekend to myself - Friday, Saturday and Sunday - with absolutely nothing to do round the house. So if I'm struggling for time, I'll have the whole 3 days to 'blitz' through to the end. :mrgreen:

I'll also be pushing to finish because I want to get a start on my next project (Tamiya 1/48 'Zero')
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Eric Mc wrote: It's almost definitely NOT the original Revell kit.

As we all know, Revell produced - and still release from time to time - a 1/96 Saturn V. The Command/Service Module and Lunar Module from the Saturn V have both been released separately on occasions which is more than likely where the memory of separate 1/96 Revell Apollo CSMs and LMs arise.

In the late 60s/early 70s Heller produced a 1/100 scale CSM and LM - usually kitted separately. I am pretty sure that the current 1/100 Revell kits are the Heller kits reboxed and NOT releases of their own old 1/96 kits.
Here's the Revell model I referred to earlier. http://www.super-hobby.com/products/Apo ... Eagle.html

David
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I actually saw that kit in The Aviation Hobby Shop yesterday. THAT pairing does seem to be the 1/96 Revell original (it states 1/986 on teh box).

The Command Module and Lunar Module, when sold in separate boxes, are labelled as 1/100 - which indicates to me that they are the 1/100 Heller models.

And, as I said, I have built the 1/100 Revell and Heller Command/Service Modules - and they are absolutely identical - right down to the panel lines, sprue layout etc.

Return to “Apollo 11 GB”