Jaguar XJ220 -- Tamiya, 1/24

Time to pimp them rides!
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Jaguar XJ220 -- Tamiya, 1/24

Post by mattbacon »

... you know how sometimes a project just seems like the right one to do right now? Well, I've been noodling with the Murcielago SV, but I suddenly got the urge to build an XJ220. Don't ask me why...

The usual start with Zero Paints for the body. This is meant to be "Silverstone Green", one of the exclusive colours for the XJ220. It's NOT meant to be any kind of British Racing Green, and I found some excellent pictures of a car on sale that categorically is Silverstone Green. This is specially mixed by Steve at Hiroboy -- a "Pacific Green" originally found on a Mustang. The colour codes for the original paint are not in the 15 pages of database entries for Jaguar colours on Lechler mixing tool, so I had to get something close. One source pointed to Boyd "Chezoom Teal" which is available in a Testors can, but is not in the DB either, so this is the closest I could get after rather a lot of online research. I wanted to keep the wing painted with the body to make sure it was exactly the same colour -- I learned that lesson the hard way!

As always, the clear coat transforms the colour. I'm quite happy with this, since it matches my reference pictures pretty well. It's hard to photograph! The headlight covers raise and lower, and fit rather well -- these are taped on for effect and came slightly loose before I took the pix.

On to the rather neat engine now...

bestest,
M.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Jaguar XJ220 -- Tamiya, 1/24

Post by DavidWomby »

Looks a fantastic model of a truly fantastic-looking car.

I did wonder what the heck was happening when I opened the thread. The first pic looks like you mounted the rear spoiler on stilts. I was relieved when I scrolled down to realize that it was on toothpicks for painting!

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I double took as I my first thought was that you'd added a really rubbish custom spoiler.

Loved this car when it first came out, the look has dated a little ( jelly mould era of car design ) but think the front end has been copied by some of the recent Feraris
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Ha! That spoiler reminded me of late-sixties F1 at first!!!

Nice paintwork and an interesting colour.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

You guys...

But seriously... If you're building something with body coloured parts, it's worth trying to hold them together in such a way as to paint them all at the same time -- but not by closing doors and bonnets, which usually need some "interior" parts in body colour too. Check things like the door interior panels as well, because although they may have all the trim on the inner face, the "thickness" is often body coloured as well. This goes redoubled in spades if you have a two layer body color with a glaze or pearl layer over the base colour. You really can't "eyeball" separate parts to the same colour density...

Bestest,
M.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent paint Matt, lovely pearl and great depth to it. At first glance of the initial pic I thought you might be building some sort of custom dragster/funny car version :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Thanks, guys. Lots of things going on in real life at the moment, so progress is slow, but it hasn't quite ground to a halt completely.

The value of good references! This is one of two books on the XJ220. One costs £1750 in a limited edition of 1000, with a leather slipcase and signed by many members of the XJ220 team. It's definitive. This one, on the other hand, cost £8 from one of many Amazon marketplace sellers, and gets the job done!

Basic colours are Humbrol Metalcote "Polished Aluminium" and 56 Flat Aluminium. Citadel washes and detail painting in various metallics, and the Jaguar and XJ220 titles picked out in chrome silver marker pen ink.

Cats and exhausts in Humbrol Chrome Silver spray, with discoloration added using Citadel purple, blue and sepia washes.

Dropped onto the chassis and test fitted to see what you can actually see through the rear window area. Quite a lot...

Some plumbing under way. There's no way I'm doing all the tubes and pipes that are under there, but a reasonable selection of them should busy it up nicely. That's the downsideof having excellent reference images. When do you stop detailing? ;-P

bestest,
M.
iggie

Post by iggie »

The 'blueing' on the exhausts is excellent!

Good question re: when to stop detailing! Personally it's after asking can it be seen, or am I bored/stuck to the superglue bottle :shock:

Looking forward to seeing more on this :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

...a few more pipes going in. The big ones are electrical wire with the original flexy copper pulled out and replaced with thicker wire that holds its shape. No idea what these do, but it's starting to look crowded round there, which is definitely a characteristic of the real thing...

bestest,
M.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That is a seriously good looking engine. All the different shades of silver and aluminium, and the exhaust discolouration is very realistic. Love it.

Nigel
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Well, it has been a while. Since the last bulletin, my wife's been ordained, we've moved house, my eldest has left for university at King's College, London...and my dedicated modelling shed has transformed into most of a garage:

Anyway, on with the important stuff -- I'm back at the bench!

The Jaguar has got some seats at last. Cockpit in various Vallejo tones of beige and sand. Home made belts with some spare Hobby Design brass buckles.

The dash responds really well to some detail painting. Very eighties plastics, too...

Brake disks painted with Humbrol Metalcote steel -- polished on the rotors, left matt grey on the callipers, and painted with Citadel Boltgun Metal in the centres. I could drill them, or draw tiny dots for holes, but given that they completely disappear inside those alloy wheels, I'm not going to bother.

Cockpit all together. I'm still slowly working on cabling and piping the engine, and I'm getting to the point where the engine bay needs to come together around the engine and frame, so I can start on the plumbing that attaches to the walls...

Progress won't be quick (still many other demands on my time) but at least I'm making some headway, and it feels good!

bestest,
M.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

It looks fantastic.

Nigel
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Great to see you're back the road (in car modelling terms). Looks like you've got a bit more bench space than you had in the shed and hopefully a bit warmer too! You've already done more modelling than I have in the last 4 months! :mad:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Looks terrific, Matt - good to see you back at the bench.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
tonp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by tonp »

That's not a kit build :grin: , its the real thing :beer:

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”