Delta Integrale, Hasegawa, 1/24 ***FINISHED***

Time to pimp them rides!
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Delta Integrale, Hasegawa, 1/24 ***FINISHED***

Post by mattbacon »

...this was supposed to be a quicky! Very nice Hasegawa curbside kit of a car I nearly bought back when I was 25. The complete lack of service history, registration document and cracked windscreen put me off.... I don't know why ;-P. But I wish I had (it was only £2500 in 1990...) if it was throwaway money!

Interior is simple, and easy...

Primer, German Grey, then drybrushed with Citadel Shadow Gray and Necronomicon Grey.

Neat dashboard with a bit of detail painting:

Nice, a bit simplified, chassis goes together well with basic painting...

now this to deal with:
The clear coat has leached the red dye out of the plastic, through the primer and yellow base coat,. So I have to see whether isopropyl alcohol will fetch the clear-coat and base yellow coat off. I'm reliably assured that it will, so we'll see what happens next week while I soak the plastic in IPA for several days...

Annoyingly, I think this would have been finished in a weekend if it hadn't been for the body screw-up!

Anyway, good to have a "quicky" there or thereabouts...

bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Delta Integrale, Hasegawa, 1/24

Post by JamesPerrin »

That's what you get for painting it yellow. Deltas are meant to be red.
Last edited by JamesPerrin on January 26th, 2015, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed iphone autocorrect!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by general rocket »

Nice job on the dash board.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Ta, chaps! @JP.... it's staying yellow, 'cos otherwise I have to disassemble and repaint the underside as well! And anyway, the one I nearly bought was yellow, and I like it... now if it was a Ferrari, it'd be a different story.

Finishing touch for the cabin: seat belts. The belts themselves are etched brass, and nicely textured, though you can't see it. The idea is that they are "sprung" slightly outwards, and will slide up the inside B pillar and look as if they are attached as the body goes on over the chassis. That's the plan, anyway...

...and I think we can safely conclude that IPA does indeed strip Zero 2K clear and base coat! It's tenaciously hanging on in the seams where the coloured clearcoat gathered and is thicker, but I hope that if this is where we are after 24 hours, by Thursday evening when I'm back home it will have even stripped those last corners. It doesn't seem to be having any effect on the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer, mind, so my sealer may have to go on top of that!

bestest,
M.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Matt, you are inspiring me to try another car kit. Almost anyway.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie

Post by iggie »

Crikey!! I thought for a moment you were using good bitter to paint strip and then re-read your earlier post to see that IPA is (for this purpose anyhow...) Isopropyl Alcohol!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

If you're drinking IPA that's not a lovely pale golden brown colour, then you're quaffing the wrong stuff!

Well, that's the running gear all done. Not so many parts, but I think it does the job -- it certainly looks like the pictures of the "ordinary" Integrales I've found, if not the "550BHP Sprint car" which has been more than a bit "fettled..."

I think this is about as far as this goes until the body is fully cooked, sealed, primed, base coated and clear coated... again ;-P

bestest,
M.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

The IPA comment scared me for a minute, but then I remembered I drink stout or dark ale and don't have to worry ...

You do seem to be developing a yellow/black trend here ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looking great so far.

Nigel
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

JamesPerrin wrote:That's what you get for painting it yellow. Deltas are meant to be red.
Or white with Martini adverts and stripes :-D

Lots still for sale going for between £20,000 - £50,000 + so your 1990 car would have been a good investment :-D
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

A workmate of mine owns one. He's had it for ages and done huge amounts to it to keep it looking good. Not a bad investment though.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

It does make you wonder why anyone buys a new car, when there are thousands of "classics" out there that you can buy, keep, maintain and still sell them for more than you've spent on them altogether 5 years on...

And you've been driving a Jag XJ, a Merc S600 or a Bentley Mulsanne for 5 years instead of a Mondeo...

Bestest,
M.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work Matt. The main reason I didn't buy a Lancia of any description back in the 80's, although I liked them, was the fact that they seemed to turn to rust every time it rained. That and the electrical issues my mate had with his 2000 HPE :roll:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Thanks, all... This has taken a while, but now I'm back where I started!

Stripped, sanded, coated with sealer (the greeny-yellow stuff), primed again in white, shut lines washed in black with Citadel wash, and finally repainted in the Zero yellow base coat. It is rougher than it would have been if I'd got it right first time, here and there, but it's a balancing act between getting it completely smooth and sanding away the surface detail you want in some places...

...and just in case anyone was wondering why I like the Zero 2K system, despite the fact that it's poisonous and a real faff to clean up after, this is it. I've done no polishing at all on the roof or bonnet here. Not even had to take out the odd dust mark... Bearing in mind that there's satin black trim to go all over the place, but especially around the windows, I'm pretty happy how this has turned out straight out of the spray booth. There's no red bleed anywhere, except for one small and inexplicable circular spot on the rear bumper...

bestest,
M.
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Excellent work so far Matt. Good to hear the paintwork turned out OK second time around.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”