Dodge Charger Daytona.

Time to pimp them rides!
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dodge Charger Daytona.

Post by general rocket »

For those not familiar with NASCAR (me among you), the Daytona was a 1969 Dodge Charger (think General Lee) that had not had very successful season. Along with several other companies fitted a 23" tall wing to stabilise the rear and a droop snoot made of sheet metal to the front, powered by a 426 Hemi or a 440 Magnum. To enable themselves to qualify to race, they had to sell at least 500 to the public. These changes had the effect of upping the speed of the cars quite considerably, track cars to over 200mph, and road cars to a very creditable 180 mph.
Selling originally for $4000, you could now stick 3 more 0's on the end of the original price.
The winged "Aero-Cars" only lasted for 2 years being banned at the end of the 1970 season as the authorities considered their speed to be too high.
Anyone better informed, please feel free to correct any of the above.
The kit is the amt version, I was unfortunately unaware of the superior (at least by reputation) Revell/Monogram(?). Research and details are all taken from various sites around the web, auction sites being the most useful for their detailed photographs.
The engine. Typical of amt and MPC a lot of filling and filing was required to make it acceptable. I had wanted to fit the "Velocity Stacks" but once the carbs where fitted, the stacks they would not fit on to the carb tops, so having fitted the fuel lines, the standard air cleaner was modified to fit. Most of the plating was removed apart from the rocker box covers which where drilled to accept the plug wires. I cheated with the distributor, since the top of the dizzy is hidden by the H,T. leads I just glued the wires to the top. The alternator was stripped of plating, drilled shallowly in the right places, painted matt aluminium and copper in the holes. The stock radiator fan was discarded as it was pretty dreadful and substituted for one from the spares box.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
general rocket

Re: Dodge Charger Daytona.

Post by general rocket »

The body, nose cone, rear wing, bonnet and chassis where cleaned of flash, which was quite copious.
The body and nose cone where joined together, glued, filled and filed. The fit was quite poor and a lot of filler was used, and a lot of filing was needed to form a neat join. This may be a mistake on my part as the fit on the real thing was notoriously poor, but we are modelers and we try to build as neatly as possible even when it is not entirely appropriate.
The fitting of the rear wing was done by eye and a none event, going on like a dream, a little cleaning of the joins was needed but nothing more than a quick scrape with a scalpel.
A few sink holes where present here and there on the body but where dealt with by a quick drop of Humbrol filler, a quick filing and Wet'n'Dry. The fender scoops went on next being lined up by eye using a picture off the web for reference as the pictures in the instructions are unclear as to position, and there are no marks on the kit to aid location.
One of the things I do like about amt kits is the fact that they include options for alternative parts to alter the look of the model, something other manufacturers could learn from. I would have liked to use the Bonnet (hood) scoop. It stood rather high for my taste, interfering with the view from the drivers seat in a way that would have been impractical for the road car I am building. Attempts to reprofile it so that it curved downwards to the rear and sat lower on the bonnet where not really to my satisfaction, so it has been promoted to the spares box. The wings (fenders) have lugs to the fore to stop the bonnet falling through which are totally useless and where cut off. Checking the pictures on the web there is an air dam (?) between the rear of the cone and the front of the radiator that is missing from the kit. this was put right with a piece of plastic card. The bonnet still sat low, so a couple tiny squares of plastic provided a support that caused the bonnet to sit just right.
The body and chassis have now been given a coat of Matt Black as a base coat. Normally I use Citadel Chaos Black as a Base coat, but while in Poundland recently I came across their spray paint and thought at a quid, why not try it. It is a bit thin, but with careful use has given an excellent result. The wing was masked up and the body sprayed in Rover Pearlescent Purple. The decals provided for the flash on the rear are not in a colour that I want to use.
The wheels are from the spares box, possibly from an MPC Chevy Nova bought and cast aside 35 years ago, and better match the wheels in period photographs of the racing machines. A test build revealed that the rear wheels stick out too far and foul the wheel well, as would the competition option from the kit. The solution was to shorten the spacer boss on the inside of the wheel, drill deeper into the back plate, and shorten the metal axle. Result, they now sit inside the wheel well in a much more pleasing fashion.
The rear axle also had the exhaust pipe as part of the same molding and looked pretty naff. The exhaust pipe has been removed and will be remodeled to look more like the period competition pipes that exit to the side of the car.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The Charger is a great looking classic American muscle car IMHO General. Not being up on NASCAR I've never seen one in this configuration with the large rear wing. This is a great detailed thread - I find I can almost always learn something from other members, even if the subject is outside my normal field. Top work so far.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Give me the stock look over wings and body kits any day, but I have to admire this nonetheless. Great build so far! Loving the colour too 8-)
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Much work, but that feeling of little progress. A feeling I'm sure you all know well.
I have remasked the tail flash, and applied the first coats of Modelcolor Flat Yellow.
Engine now in place and wires cut to length.
Work progressing on the interior, painting seats Light Grey with Purple lining, and carpets darker.
On test fitting the dash board, the steering wheel is found to be offset to the right, not something I noticed until too late. To snap off and refit or not too snap off and refit? That is the question.
The front view answers the question, it's too noticeable.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent General, you are doing some fine work with this.

IPMS#12300
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

The passenger compartment has been assembled. Not the neatest job of aging the interior, but it is serviceable, and once assembled looks okay.
The position of the steering wheel has been corrected by the highly technical method of snapping it off, filing a flat, slightly to the left of the original position on the dashboard and gluing it back on.
I have finished painting the yellow flash on the tail, and am tidying it up with wet"n"dry, and T-cut.
Next task is painting the chrome strips around the window apertures and body trims.
The exhaust pipes have been made to look like period competition pipes, and have been fitted. Made of nothing more than the kits tail pipes that have (as stated above) been cut off and bent to shape then glued into position.
rednef6
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by rednef6 »

wow looking good !
nice work !

gino
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

I appreciate the appreciation. Looking forward to seeing Shaun's 9f.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

general rocket wrote:I appreciate the appreciation. Looking forward to seeing Shaun's 9f.
I'm away on my hols for two weeks General but she's mostly done. There are some pics of the nearly finished model in my Workbench Window thread.

IPMS#12300
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

ShaunW wrote:
general rocket wrote:I appreciate the appreciation. Looking forward to seeing Shaun's 9f.
I'm away on my hols for two weeks General but she's mostly done. There are some pics of the nearly finished model in my Workbench Window thread.
I've checked it out...................and I'm impressed.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

I have now fitted the dash board, which was loose in its position and needed a little help to stay in place.
As for the picture below, will"Oh Sod It!" offend the moderators.
My own clumsiness unfortunately.

Comments and criticism welcome.
rednef6

Post by rednef6 »

isn't modeling fun ? ;-)
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Trying to put right the clumsiness.
Having fixed the taillights into position, I glued the rear bumper into position, as this would support the broken spar. I then left it for a couple of days while I did other things to let set properly.
The other things in question are assembling the chassis and body, so that there is less likelihood of handling damage.
With the bumper now firmly affixed, I blutak'ed the number plate (sorry, licence plate) to the spar, then blutak'ed it into place and glued it and left it.
And with that secure, she is nearly finished.
rednef6

Post by rednef6 »

great job on it she looks sweeeet !
gino

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”