Weathering LNER Teak railway carriages

Time to pimp them rides!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Weathering LNER Teak railway carriages

Post by splash »

I'm helping a friend with his railway layout and decided to have a go at weathering carriages,

I had picked up several Hornby cheap LNER Teak carriages from the Flying Scotsman sets and thought they look to light in colour and to clean to have spent time behind a steam engine, so thought I would have a go at making them more realistic, first I stripped them down into the running gear chassis, main body with windows & the interior.

The bodies roof was masked and sprayed with grey primer then simply given a an overspray with Tamiya NATO Black to give a sooty look to the roof.

The main body was given a coat of brown oil paint thinned with lighter fluid brushed in between the original yellow panel lines, once applied you can rub any of the oil paint off that has gone over the decals or yellow.

The interior was treated the same as the outside and the seats and carpets just painted red. The cassis just needed the frame painted brick red and weathered with black and brown oil paint.

To finish it off the under frame, it was just given a light dusting of thinned Tamiya Desert Yellow.

I think for a simple update it works and converts a simple £8 toy carriage quickly into a usable carriage for next to nothing

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Weathering LNER Teak railway carriages

Post by iggie »

Nicely done, and a near transformation for next to nothing!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Certainly looks a lot better to my eye. Well done.

Nigel
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

They look good, although I am unsure of the ribbing/panel effect on the roof of the dark brown one .... perhaps overstated ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I love what you've done here Alan. It's turned a toy railway coach into a very acceptable model. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

jRatz wrote:They look good, although I am unsure of the ribbing/panel effect on the roof of the dark brown one .... perhaps overstated ?
The more I look at them, the more I think you are right, so I'm going to re-sprey the roof white and tone down the weathering several notches.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”