Honda RS100 endurance racer

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Honda RS100 endurance racer

Post by syd-baines »

hi this is my next build it is the Honda RS1000 endurance racer, i am building it to replicate the Suzuka 8 hours race of 1981
it does not have the full fairing just the top half which means i have to cut the top half off as the kit part comes as a full side, but i might decal the bottom half and display it next to the model when finished, i am going to add extra detail, the kit has 5 sprues, 1 with the body panels in red, 2 grey with engine and frame, i chrome with forks headlamp reflector and fuel filler caps and 1 clear with headlamp lens and fairing shield and 1 bag with tyres, screws, tubing and springs the springs are for the rear shocks, i have made a start on the body panels and also built the engine, i have cut off the moulded bolt heads and drilled ready to put some hex. rivets in after painting also i am going to dechrome the front forks as they will need filling at the back i can also get rid of the mould lines

Image[/url
the fairing was easy to cut as tamiya have included the panel line where the two halves of the fairing join

[url=https://postimg.org/image/7q01dz5rr/]Image

in this picture you can see where i have drilled the hles for the hex. rivets
Clashcityrocker

Re: Honda RS100 endurance racer

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Another great start Syd. I've never bought or built a Tamiya bike, except for their 1/35th scale military items. Looking forward to see this come together.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent, yet another great looking 80's motorcycle. This sort of bike reminds me of Team Bike and their CB900F in the 80's which, if my memory serves me correctly, they raced at the Bol d'Or at the Paul Ricard circuit in France.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Nigel and Shaun the CB900 did race at the Bol d`or the RS1000 was based on the CB900 it raced at the 24hr, Le Mans as well as the Suzuka 8hrs. the kit looks a nice bike to build hopefully a progress report in the next couple of days and photos
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

got the backs of the front forks filled and sanded the bodywork has been sanded and primed, the engine has been built and painted i hand painted the engine with a mix of chrome silver and flat aluminum in equal measures
this is how i fill the back of the forks i put a strip of plastic card the same lenth and width of the opening and sand it down you don`t need filler

the hex rivets don`t show up very well in these photos due to the engine being silver

i have also filled in the back of the battery again with plastic card
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

finished the engine it is now in the frame, got to clean the holes that i drilled in the frame as they have got a filled up with paint, i brush painted the frame, i am using some braided hose for the oil pipes, also i have made a clutch operating arm the instructions have the tubing coming out of a hole in the clutch cover which does not look right, i have put some photo etch bolt heads on the engine side covers, also i have made up the rear shocks tamiya provide the springs for these there is only 3 parts to them but they will look good when on bike

you can see the clutch operating arm and the photo etch bolt heads the i have yet to put the clutch cable on

there is only 3 parts to these shocks
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

working on the swing arm, i am making a chain to put on rather than the kit part which is a like a kit on it`s own with about 160 silver and 160 gold links and 150 rollers the hardest part to it is trying to find a way to stop the parts pinging out of the tweezers this is as far as i have got at the moment

the links and rollers

just in this little lenth there is 63 parts then there is the sprokets to make up
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Amazing work Syd. That chain will look so much better than the kit part - you must have the patience of a Saint to be able to put all those links together individually. :wanw
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Beany it will look so much better than the kit part i only hoping there is more parts than i need due to a few pinging from my tweezers never to be found again i have at least another 4 lenths to make
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

not had much time at model desk last couple weeks or so, but back now i have finished the chain, had to buy another one as to many parts pinged from my tweezers never to be found again plus i made a mess of my first attempts but found a better way to do it done the full lenth of the chain only losing a couple of the rollers, the chain is for the honda rc211v racing bike and the rear sprocket did not fit, i was looking in the spars box for chain from another kit as i was going to cut the chain off and file the sprocket to fit but found another photo etch one that fits so using that it is slightly smaller than the kit one but i don`t think it will that much noticeable, i can now get on with the swing arm

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Outstanding work Syd. You're really making this model shine. 8-)

Is the chain an aftermarket item?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Clashcityrocker

Been working on the chain gang :lol:
Delicate work. Nicely done.

Nigel
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Dazzled and Nigel, in answer to Dazzled question the chain is an aftermarket item they are made for specific bikes the one i used is for the Honda rc211v moto gp bike, i had it lying around for a couple of years but afraid to make it up due to the small parts, i lost a lot of parts and made a mess at first but found a way in the end, but did not have enough left so had to buy another they are not cheap this one cost £33.99 which was more than the kit cost but it will make the model look so much better (hopefully) that done i can now get on with the swing arm hopefully during the week with some more photos
Clashcityrocker

Just done some quick conversion to Aussie Dollars, and that is an expensive chain. Maybe build a shaft driven bike next time :grin:

Nigel
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

don`t know how much it would cost in Aussie Dollars Nigel but it cost more than the kit did, tamiya did produce a kit of the Honda CX500 turbo which was shaft drive maybe i will look out for it if still available, i have now finished the chain and put it on the bike it is not perfect but i have had 3 operations on my eyes already this year so not got perfect eyesight and my hands shake a little i am also a 69 year old disabled chap any way here is the photos of my session last night

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”