Burago Honda CBR 600F

Time to pimp them rides!
Old Joe
Series 3 and Beyond

Burago Honda CBR 600F

Post by Old Joe »

I've just seen a neat way to strip the chrome finish from a plastic kit, using osuehold bleach. Can the same technique be used to strip pre-painted parts?
MerlinJones

Re: Burago Honda CBR 600F

Post by MerlinJones »

Mr.Muscle oven cleaner is the usual way to go, to remove enamels from a plastic kit.
Not sure what paints will have been used on your pre-painted, but you can try for nothing and let us know how you get on.

Place model in poly bag, with Mr.Muscle all over it.
Tie up bag and leave overnight.
Rinse off in the morning, perhaps using an old toothbrush for the stubborn bits.

Regards,
Bruce
montessa315
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by montessa315 »

I have stripped some chrome with household bleach and also coca cola.

But as Bruce says, the most often used is probably Mr. Muscle oven cleaner, for chrome and enamel paint. Worked everytime so far.

Alan..........
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

just remember a few safety precautions......wear gloves......dont get it on your skin..............and plenty of ventilation

but Mr Muscle is so easy to strip paint.................the other way is a tub of brake fluid
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
ian lanc
Active Participant

Post by ian lanc »

Beowulf Shaeffer wrote:the other way is a tub of brake fluid

Hmmm ! I wouldn't use brake fluid ! Reason why ? when you have finished with this stuff what do you do with it ?
Most numpties pour it down the drain and is bad for the enviroment ! Save an old pop bottle to put all your unwanted
waste into it then dispose of at a recycling point ;-)

Bleach ! most bleach's these days are designed to cling to a surface and will take alot of removing from your parts
If your using a tooth-brush be very careful of the bleach flicking into your eyes, this is highly dangerous so using
protective eye wear is advised :shock:

As most have said Mr. Muscle is best and the safest.

ian.
Old Joe
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Old Joe »

Thanks for the help, I'll be shopping for some Mr Muscle. I've just been shopping for floor polish, to aid in applying decals and nail polish remover, for rescuing bad paint jobs. This is getting to be a wierd hobby.

I assured the girl in the chemists the nail polish remover was for model making. I think she believed me. It would have been less embarrassing to ask for a packet of condoms. I've read that a blusher brush is good for cleaning a kit off fine particles prior to painting. I think I'll just blow on it.
Beowulf Shaeffer

ian lanc wrote:
Beowulf Shaeffer wrote:the other way is a tub of brake fluid

Hmmm ! I wouldn't use brake fluid ! Reason why ? when you have finished with this stuff what do you do with it ?
Most numpties pour it down the drain and is bad for the enviroment ! Save an old pop bottle to put all your unwanted
waste into it then dispose of at a recycling point ;-)

Bleach ! most bleach's these days are designed to cling to a surface and will take alot of removing from your parts
If your using a tooth-brush be very careful of the bleach flicking into your eyes, this is highly dangerous so using
protective eye wear is advised :shock:

As most have said Mr. Muscle is best and the safest.

ian.
of course you should take precautions with any thing in this hobby............ive never had a prob with using bleach.....mainly cos i put it in a small tub with the part to be stripped...........when its done its job, i fill the sink with water and just put the whole pot in to it....that way it gets diluted before i start any brushing

as for brake fluid, it would all depend on the type of fluid.......some are organic and water soluble ....others are not............one way i learnt was to add it to kitty litter to absorb it and let it evaporate over a few days then its ok to just bag and dispose of with ordinary non recyclable waste

mr muscle has its own hazards as previously stated............it can cause skin and respiritory problems.......wear gloves and have plenty of ventilation

but its just like any thing else in this hobby.....think before you do.......no one would think of sanding resin parts with out adequate protection, or disposing of white spirit/thinners etc by just flushing down the drain

*takes off HSE hard hat and hi-viz vest* :-D

Beowulf Shaeffer

Old Joe wrote:
I assured the girl in the chemists the nail polish remover was for model making. I think she believed me. It would have been less embarrassing to ask for a packet of condoms. I've read that a blusher brush is good for cleaning a kit off fine particles prior to painting. I think I'll just blow on it.

lol.....i had similar problem when i first wanted some nail polish and remover cos i wanted some bright red and orange (you can use it to paint the inside of brake/indicator lens.....these days i use the tamiya clear stuff)..........i just 'borrowed' swmbo's blusher brush :-D

Old Joe
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Old Joe »

Erm. . . Just out of curiousity, what should one do with white spirits/thinners?

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”